Can You Drive A Manual / Stick Shift Vehicle?

Avalon
This topic is 2361 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of my cars have been manual five-speeds. Now my second vehicle is a big SUV/pickup with an automatic; every time I drive it I feel so out of touch with the road. A lot of my friends bought stickshifts because of the cool factor, but gave them up because of the nuisance of perpetually engaged two-handed driving. I've driven in some horrendous stop-and-go commutes, and it's never felt like an inconvenience. It's second nature to me.

I occasionally end up with a loaner from the dealership with paddle shifters or the toggle on the console shifter. I almost wrecked the first two trying to figure them out while I was at speed. Now when I get one I just live with the automatic mode.

Been driving a stick since I was 26. When I bought my first manual transmission I didn't even

know how to drive a stick...my boyfriend had to drive it off the lot for me. He took me to a

stadium parking lot and taught me all day. At the end of the day he said..."oh yeah, I forgot

to tell you....kiss blow jobs while driving good bye".....still....I never looked back.

Also, I stopped buying Mercedes several years ago because they stopped making stick shifts

on their high end sports cars.

My current car is an automatic, first one I've owned in decades. I dread the coming winter. Nothing handles snow like a manual transmission.

If you think manual transmission is out of step with the times, I'll pit a stick shift against an automatic in snowy weather any day. In my area winter road maintenance is lousy so yeah, it's still timely.

I got my drivers license in 1956 and my first car was a 1939 Dodge Coupe which I had painted candy apple red. That was the first year the gear shift was moved from the floor to the steering column. I have NEVER owned an automatic transmission car and hopefully never will. I love driving and for me that means a standard trans.

Most of my cars have been stick. I learned on a VW Beetle. Had a Ford Maverick with shift on the column which sucked, and a Dodge Dakota. The vintage 72 Cadillac was of course automatic. When I bought the Scion XD, I reluctantly caved and got the automatic. Glad I did, because I subsequently broke my left ankle.