Goodbye Matt Lauer....

jawjateck
This topic is 2194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look very closely at his shifty/squinty eyes for a quick split second after the comment.....they have that stuffy, belittling, "I have the power to say whatever I want" look

Are you sure it is Meredith he is speaking about (you can't really see her) and not one of the male cameramen? ;)

If NBC pays him most or all (30 mil) of the balance of his contract, then the company will be admitting that senior execs knew about his predations for years and did nothing. If that's the case, they will pay and hope he keeps quiet and goes away. If the execs were clueless, the company will not pay out his contract, but the execs still need to be held accountable for overseeing a workplace so toxic and hostile to decency and safety.

If NBC pays him most or all (30 mil) of the balance of his contract, then the company will be admitting that senior execs knew about his predations for years and did nothing. If that's the case, they will pay and hope he keeps quiet and goes away. If the execs were clueless, the company will not pay out his contract, but the execs still need to be held accountable for overseeing a workplace so toxic and hostile to decency and safety.

I think the press release by the company's lawyers said it all about whether it's executives were aware of his behavior at some time. They worded it (very lawyerly) to exculpate the "current" executives. That tells all we need to know.

According to The Wrap, Lauer’s contract is null and void since he’s been fired on a morals charge, and he will be taking home $0 in payout. Good.

https://www.thewrap.com/matt-lauer-severance-pay-nbc-today/

According to The Wrap, Lauer’s contract is null and void since he’s been fired on a morals charge, and he will be taking home $0 in payout. Good.

That may be the letter of the contract - doesn't mean he can't sue them and cost them so much ... that they decide it's cheaper to pay him out and be done with it.

This is reporting from Brian Stelter, CNN, December 1:

Lauer "will not be paid past his last day of work," a senior NBC source told CNNMoney on Friday.

Questions have been swirling about the possibility because the New York Post published a story on Thursday that said Lauer's lawyers have been angling to get him a payout. New York Post's headline: "Lauer's lawyers trying to get him $30M payout after firing."

The $30 million figure was predicated on the fact that Lauer was paid about $20 million a year to co-host the "Today" show -- an extraordinary sum of money that reflects how profitable the morning show is.

... The senior NBC News source did not dispute that Lauer's attorneys might hatch a plan to get him paid. But the source said the network will not agree to any payout. Television news contracts typically include a morals clause, giving a network some flexibility to fire a high-priced anchor for cause.

... Two people close to Lauer expressed doubt that he would play hardball with his former network. Given reports about his yearly salary over the past decade, he has likely already been paid well in excess of $100 million during his time at NBC. He has multiple properties and investments.

... NBC Universal [has said it will] conduct a review of what happened and would strengthen its internal processes so that staffers feel safe coming forward with allegations of misconduct. Paying Lauer a huge amount of money on the way out the door would arguably send a contrary message.

21st Century Fox was widely criticized for paying former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes when he resigned under pressure amid a sexual harassment scandal last year. The criticism resumed when Bill O'Reilly reportedly received about $25 million, a severance payment amounting to one year of his four-year contract, when he left Fox earlier this year.

We'll see. But maybe -- just maybe -- the new embrace of "zero tolerance" includes an end to the practice of shelling out additional millions to already overpaid people to have abused their power, victimized subordinates and disgraced their companies and themselves.

Without even reading all of the thread, this is for those of you concerned about process and false allegations.

"But yesterday, I was asked to write that I do not believe in due process. I was asked to write that I believe we should just immediately fire all men accused of sexual harassment. I was asked to write that if a few men are harmed to protect women, it’s worth it. As if that’s a real threat. As if that’s a valid fear. As if, in this world, a power shift of that magnitude is even within the realm of possibility. As if a lack of due process wouldn’t first come for women, trans people, and people of color. As if due process isn’t the one thing so many men and their enablers in this society are working so hard to avoid.

Yesterday, I was asked to write that if a few men are harmed to protect women, it’s worth it. As if that’s a real threat.

And all I could say was, “No, no I can’t.” And even in that, in my financial ability to say no and risk burning that bridge, I’m one of the lucky ones....

How manipulated this broader, international conversation on sexual harassment has been in order to so quickly shift the conversation to protecting men from the consequences of their actions, before the names of the women they’ve harmed are even known? I can’t help but look at the profession I’ve chosen and love and wonder how much of it, like every other job I’ve found myself in since I was a teenager, is actively working to harm women and protect those who harm women?

How often are we manipulated into prioritizing the abuser over the abused?

How often are we being suckered into a side of a debate that we shouldn’t even be having?

These last two days, I was able to see one of the ways that this manipulation works in a shockingly brazen display. I don’t know if it’s because they had so little respect for my work or my intellect, or for my integrity — or if they just thought that as a feminist I’d jump at the chance to flush “due process” down the toilet. How often is this happening in ways that we aren’t able to so easily see?

I hope to be able to continue to write in a way that focuses on those harmed by abuses of power and privilege. I hope to continue to write with integrity and honesty. And I hope that we all can try to read with the same focus and the same integrity. And that we can all work together to be more aware of how we are being manipulated and distracted and misrepresented and shamed into believing that we do not deserve to be centered in conversations on our oppression. That we do not deserve to be heard. That we do not deserve justice. That we do not deserve “due process.”

Due process is long overdue."

https://theestablishment.co/due-process-is-needed-for-sexual-harassment-accusations-but-for-whom-968e7c81e6d6

• 5 months later...
Without even reading all of the thread, this is for those of you concerned about process and false allegations.

"But yesterday, I was asked to write that I do not believe in due process. I was asked to write that I believe we should just immediately fire all men accused of sexual harassment. I was asked to write that if a few men are harmed to protect women, it’s worth it. As if that’s a real threat. As if that’s a valid fear. As if, in this world, a power shift of that magnitude is even within the realm of possibility. As if a lack of due process wouldn’t first come for women, trans people, and people of color. As if due process isn’t the one thing so many men and their enablers in this society are working so hard to avoid.

Yesterday, I was asked to write that if a few men are harmed to protect women, it’s worth it. As if that’s a real threat.

And all I could say was, “No, no I can’t.” And even in that, in my financial ability to say no and risk burning that bridge, I’m one of the lucky ones....

How manipulated this broader, international conversation on sexual harassment has been in order to so quickly shift the conversation to protecting men from the consequences of their actions, before the names of the women they’ve harmed are even known? I can’t help but look at the profession I’ve chosen and love and wonder how much of it, like every other job I’ve found myself in since I was a teenager, is actively working to harm women and protect those who harm women?

How often are we being suckered into a side of a debate that we shouldn’t even be having?

These last two days, I was able to see one of the ways that this manipulation works in a shockingly brazen display. I don’t know if it’s because they had so little respect for my work or my intellect, or for my integrity — or if they just thought that as a feminist I’d jump at the chance to flush “due process” down the toilet. How often is this happening in ways that we aren’t able to so easily see?

I hope to be able to continue to write in a way that focuses on those harmed by abuses of power and privilege. I hope to continue to write with integrity and honesty. And I hope that we all can try to read with the same focus and the same integrity. And that we can all work together to be more aware of how we are being manipulated and distracted and misrepresented and shamed into believing that we do not deserve to be centered in conversations on our oppression. That we do not deserve to be heard. That we do not deserve justice. That we do not deserve “due process.”

Due process is long overdue."

https://theestablishment.co/due-process-is-needed-for-sexual-harassment-accusations-but-for-whom-968e7c81e6d6

What kills me is that these (assumedly) wealthy men who have been found (by at least their company) to have committed acts that made them unemployable are whining to get even more money. I suppose an ability to be content with what one has is what got them in trouble in the first place.

Plus, if you have a chance read the whole piece that this clip is taken from. I think it is a concise expression of how good ideas meant to produce justice are side-lined by those who create the injustices in the first place so that they can continue to go on their way and not give the accusers the justice they deserve. Gays have already seen this. The "country" threw us the bone of being able to be married but are forcing gays to fight hand over fist to have the right to a job, a cake, a hotel room . . . all those things straight society has taken for granted for many, many years. Fuck 'em all.

Edited by TruthBTold