Advice to Masseurs - if they want more regulars

This topic is 1835 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

-STOP trying to finish 5 or 10 mins early. At that point you been at it for 50-55 mins. Just finish the last few minutes. Ending 5 mins or 10 mins early REALLY pisses me (and I imagine most clients) off. I promise you... if you get into the habit of going 5 mins OVER... you'll attract a lot more "regular" clients.

-DO NOT TRY TO UPSELL. Had a masseur today shove his fat hard cock in my face (super hot) and say "it's $60 extra if you want to suck it." SO ANNOYING. Work out all that stuff before the massage starts via text or when I show up at your door. Nothing kills a mood quicker than stuff like that. It's rude. Tacky. And insulting.

-Once the HE is over don't hustle me outta there. There are some masseurs (Who I'm a regular of) who have learned that after the HE... to continue with the massage for another 5 or 10 mins. It makes things so much more enjoyable. And ensures I will be back.

Any other tips you all wanna add?

Regarding the 50-55 minute massage, I agree you pay for an hour massage, you should receive that. Now in their defense, they may not know how easily one man may get off, so it’s understandable if they begin this part of a massage with 15 minutes to go. However when they get someone who releases quickly, they should at least offer a soothing finish by either head massage or something.

Discussed at length on here, negotiating or upselling once massage starts is a negative for everyone.

Only thing I’d add is when approaching a HE, don’t be so mechanical and fast. It has the opposite effect on me. If you tease or go slow, it drives me wild while fast and mechanical turns me off. Lastly, if you know how to tease and make it last, I’m way more likely to look you up for a repeat visit.

I was thinking about posting a similar comment the other day; I'm glad you did.

I had a masseur recently who delivered an awesome technical massage, and the sensual part was also great... he allowed for a lot of touching. When he asked me to turn over, he quickly moved towards the HE. I told him it'd happen pretty quickly, and indeed, it did.

I showered, and walked out of the apartment, before looking at my phone and realizing it was less than 40 minutes after arriving. I was suddenly irritated. On one hand, I wondered if I sent the wrong signal. Was I too frisky? Should I have been more clear to delay the HE? I ended up texting him about it, just to see if he'd reply, and of course, he didn't. All things being equal, I definitely would have returned to him before realizing the time deficiency; now I'm not sure.

I asked another masseur and his take was that after the HE, it's clean-up time and the massage part is generally finished. Granted, there are some situations that will compensate in other ways, but I am still confused how to handle this going forward.

I feel every masseur has the right to run his session the way he feels fit, but also, i have the right not to return if I don't like the way it went. I don't feel insisting on an extra 5 mins will make the ending very pleasurable or sensual for me as it will have ruined the vibe. As a previous poster suggested, a masseur who is running on hourly appointments may feel that the entire experience should take an hour, and not be adding on extra time for undressing and cleaning up, so again they may not know how long the HE itself might take. I feel price, attitude and chemistry are all built-in factors to whether or not I rebook rather than counting the minutes to the last second, but that's just my feeling.

True, they can run their business any way they see fit, but the topic here is how to get repeat customers. So, no hard feelings either way, but it's about what gets us to come back. And, of course, repeat customers are extra valuable because they make income more secure and less variable, plus there is much less hassle and waste of time explaining and negotiating. Finally, repeat customers are likely to spread the good word.

Obviously, I like my massage to take approximately the time booked but I don't obsess over it if it turns out a little shorter. But I do get pissed off (quietly and to myself) if it's outrageously short. I usually go for 90-minute appointments, and have noticed that the guys I repeatedly go to are pretty good at timing. But my boy Jake rules wrt this. He is so nice, smart, so much fun, it's like hanging out with a close bud. He'll suggest jumping in the shower together, then usually asks me to sit on the edge of the bed while he gets behind and massages my neck. Priceless, a very nice wind down, a total opposite of that wham-bam-now-you-are-done-get-out approach. That is not just fair (I paid for 90 minutes, I should get 90 minutes) and respectful, it's smart on his part. Every time I hug him good bye I already look forward to the next time because the vibe is so good. I've had several other masseurs offer additional neck or other massage noticing that the time wasn't up. Always appreciated even if I usually turn it down and prefer a little chat as I put on my clothes.

Masseurs who schedule hourly appointments back to back are idiots in my books. That's sacrificing long term for the short term. It's greedy and myopic, and hardly entices anyone to come back, and that's just stupid form the business standpoint. My worse experience was with that Luka in Manhattan, who basically rushes you out as he scrambles to prepare the room for the next customer, so he basically wants you in and out of his building, not just his apartment, in less than an hour. It's like you are being processed on an assembly line, or how to spend $160 an hour and feel like crap in the end. Thank God he doesn't do 90-minute appointments, at least that saved me some money. Another dude in Chicago was doing outcalls and once he came to my place for an hour appointment. He was in and out of the door in like 50 minutes. Needless to say, I refused to see him again (yes, he texted and offered, who wouldn't want to make $150 in 50 minutes?) and then his ad disappeared. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who didn't like the approach.

This business is really good if you like doing it and are able to deal with people but it's NOT for everyone. If someone thinks it's quick and easy money requiring no skill or effort, it shows. And if it shows, you can't get a permanent customer base, so you are forced to travel and incur additional costs, hoping to find enough clients to put through your production line. Good luck with that!

One more thing I would add, and this is something that I realized gradually over time. I really like it when my masseur gets naked right away, when that kind of goes without saying. If I am going to lie there naked, let's be on a level playing field. Plus, if they don't get naked they tend to be warm, especially given that they work, while I may get really cold because I am naked and inactive. Them being naked gives them a better sense of the temperature in the room. I don't have automatic expectations about anything sensual, I like to leave that to the chemistry, but it seems that many don't do this for fear of setting wrong expectations, which I find unfortunate. But then that makes me appreciate even more those who do it plus are good masseurs.

Additional tips:

1) KEEP your appointments with your clients. We juggle our schedules to keep our appointments with you. You do the same. I have lost count of masseurs who text me an hour before to cancel with a lame, transparent excuse....such as " I need to cancel your session. An emergency has come up." I am not stupid. I know the "emergency" is either they have another client that wants to book a longer session for more money.....or they are going out with friends for dinner. Flaky does not work to keep clients.

2) Do NOT text during the session. Yes, many times I am aware that my masseur will be texting other clients with one hand while massaging me with the other. (?) This leads to #3

3) Be PRESENT for your client during the massage. You are there for HIM. Don't watch the clock, text other clients, or give the impression you want to be somewhere else. I had a massage last night where the masseur was telling me during the massage how hungry he was and he could not wait till the massage was over so he could go get a pizza (?) That is insulting. It does not make you feel the love.

We are paying good money for these guys (to much money, in my opinion), and need professional, stable masseurs, not flakes. And if you are a professional, stable masseur you will have us as a regular, which is where the real money is. Your bread and butter is your regular, steady client base.

Edited by Dmitri

Asking for extra to suck on a masseur's cock after the massage has started is bad form. I've had situations where the masseur has told me up front to feel free to touch or suck if I wanted. Only once did a masseur tell me up front that if I wanted to put his dick in my mouth it would be extra. One masseur brought me to orgasm by sucking on me. That was certainly an incentive to return

I agree that renegotiating extras *during the massage* is something that really puts me off. I'm not a fan of a la carte pricing to begin with, but doing that while I'm supposed to be "in the zone" is bad form. I only wish that I had the strength of character to get up and leave when that happens, but in the middle of a massage, I rarely do.

True, they can run their business any way they see fit, but the topic here is how to get repeat customers. So, no hard feelings either way, but it's about what gets us to come back. And, of course, repeat customers are extra valuable because they make income more secure and less variable, plus there is much less hassle and waste of time explaining and negotiating. Finally, repeat customers are likely to spread the good word.

Obviously, I like my massage to take approximately the time booked but I don't obsess over it if it turns out a little shorter. But I do get pissed off (quietly and to myself) if it's outrageously short. I usually go for 90-minute appointments, and have noticed that the guys I repeatedly go to are pretty good at timing. But my boy Jake rules wrt this. He is so nice, smart, so much fun, it's like hanging out with a close bud. He'll suggest jumping in the shower together, then usually asks me to sit on the edge of the bed while he gets behind and massages my neck. Priceless, a very nice wind down, a total opposite of that wham-bam-now-you-are-done-get-out approach. That is not just fair (I paid for 90 minutes, I should get 90 minutes) and respectful, it's smart on his part. Every time I hug him good bye I already look forward to the next time because the vibe is so good. I've had several other masseurs offer additional neck or other massage noticing that the time wasn't up. Always appreciated even if I usually turn it down and prefer a little chat as I put on my clothes.

Masseurs who schedule hourly appointments back to back are idiots in my books. That's sacrificing long term for the short term. It's greedy and myopic, and hardly entices anyone to come back, and that's just stupid form the business standpoint. My worse experience was with that Luka in Manhattan, who basically rushes you out as he scrambles to prepare the room for the next customer, so he basically wants you in and out of his building, not just his apartment, in less than an hour. It's like you are being processed on an assembly line, or how to spend $160 an hour and feel like crap in the end. Thank God he doesn't do 90-minute appointments, at least that saved me some money. Another dude in Chicago was doing outcalls and once he came to my place for an hour appointment. He was in and out of the door in like 50 minutes. Needless to say, I refused to see him again (yes, he texted and offered, who wouldn't want to make $150 in 50 minutes?) and then his ad disappeared. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who didn't like the approach.

This business is really good if you like doing it and are able to deal with people but it's NOT for everyone. If someone thinks it's quick and easy money requiring no skill or effort, it shows. And if it shows, you can't get a permanent customer base, so you are forced to travel and incur additional costs, hoping to find enough clients to put through your production line. Good luck with that!

One more thing I would add, and this is something that I realized gradually over time. I really like it when my masseur gets naked right away, when that kind of goes without saying. If I am going to lie there naked, let's be on a level playing field. Plus, if they don't get naked they tend to be warm, especially given that they work, while I may get really cold because I am naked and inactive. Them being naked gives them a better sense of the temperature in the room. I don't have automatic expectations about anything sensual, I like to leave that to the chemistry, but it seems that many don't do this for fear of setting wrong expectations, which I find unfortunate. But then that makes me appreciate even more those who do it plus are good masseurs.

Nothing here we disagree on!

Like snowflakes every massage experience is unique. I tell you it is the little things that have always left an impression. A continuation of the massage after HE is amazing, even just a gentle rub of the temples. Attention to hands, feet or even earlobes can make all the difference. A"OK you have done your business now get out" will not get a repeat out of me. Up-sell sucks when it is in the middle of the massage. You can negotiate that before hand if you are going for the extra buck. There should be a class not only in the mechanics of a good technical massage but something akin to Geisha training where hospitality is stressed. Environment, Massage, Hospitality. Master these and quality clients will return again and again. Snatch the pebble from my hand... A wise man once said.... ( Oh sorry my inner fortune cookie has overtaken me.)

I had an amazing massage once from a masseur that shortchanged me by 10 minutes and he couldn’t wait for me to leave, or at least it felt that way. It felt rude actually. If he had another appointment right after mine that’s why there was a rush then he should say so and I’d be more understanding. Never went back.

Excellent points above, agree with all!

I just thought about one more major annoyance. I am often tempted to have the masseur come to my place, because I am busy or whatever, and I definitely don't mind paying extra, but DO NOT MESS WITH MY TIME! Many masseurs, actually an unfortunate majority, are totally clueless about time management. You'd think that if one lives in Chicago, they should know that the traffic is bad, especially around the rush hour and evening. Plus why not use Google maps that will tell you how long the expected travel time is?

My boy Jake is a stellar exception here, yet again :-), super-professional in this respect, but there is this other dude Nikola in Chicago who checks all the boxes, super-competent and trained, cute, friendly, nice, chill, charges surprisingly low rates, but is usually an hour late and sometimes even more :-(. So I stopped inviting him despite all his other qualities and despite the fact that I would gladly pay DOUBLE what he charges if only he would fucking show up on time. Or within 15-20 minutes. I mean I am just busy, not anal or uptight, I just cannot spend the entire evening guessing when the masseur will show up, if I want a 90-minute massage it should not take more than 2 hours of my time.

PS I also had another masseur text me like 5 minutes into our supposed appointment saying that he needed to get some lunch and will come in like 45 minutes. Well, I certainly don't want him to massage me hungry, but why can't he plan his fucking day so that he doesn't run into these time conflicts? Needless to say, he showed up more than an hour late, and that was it, no more invites from me. These dudes need to realize that people willing to pay them $150-160 an hour typically ARE BUSY and value their time more than anything. Think about it, if I hire someone every month or even every two months for 90 minutes, that's like $1.5-3k a year, many businesses would do pretty much anything for that kind of client.

Edited by Capitano