Kevin Spacey Accused of Sexual Misconduct, Confirms Rumors He Is Gay

Moondance
This topic is 1975 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’m still having a hard time visualizing a 26 year old male

carrying a 14 year old male “like a bride”across a bedroom

threshold if the 14 year old doesn’t want that to happen.

Everything I have read suggest Rapp looked younger than his actual. So try thinking smaller than a usual 14 year old male.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m just saying....30 years later...Mr. Rapp’s version of the

events still don’t make complete sense to me.

I know a few people who have survived sexual harassment, including a few rapes. "Complete sense" is not a requirement for me. I can't put myself in their shoes, so I'm not the one who needs to fully judge the details.

Rapp claims Spacey's "act" always bothered him. In show business, it would be very unusual for a teenage boy to rat out on an older actor. Most friends advise, "keep your mouth shut!" I'm sure plenty of actors engage in predatory behavior among other show folk. I don't think we're going to see a groundswell of individual confessions. Rapp said it was the recent brave women who inspired him to speak out loud.

I saw Rapp in Rent 7 times. I was an early addict of that show. Rapp and Adam Pascal made my heart flutter. Loved them both.

He may not be gay, but the hit that Mark Halperin is taking from the Weinstein fallout is astounding. I think almost every employer he's had has dropped him, including high-profile jobs that were on the burner. He goes from the top of his game to fully unemployed in a matter of two weeks. The rug has been completely pulled from under his feet.

Can't help but wonder if he saved a lot of money. What does a famous journalist do when no one will give him a job? If lawyers come after him, whatever money he has saved may disappear quickly.

It is fascinating to watch these veteran successful people fall so hard. I'm sure it provides some comfort to their victims.

Perhaps they didn't really like him much anyway (not hard to believe since he comes across as such a prick).

When I was 14 I was 6'2" and almost 200 pounds. There were boys in my class who were 4'10" and about 90 pounds soaking wet. I certainly could have picked them up easily.

http://www.themoviescene.co.uk/reviews/_img/1624-2.jpg

That’s Anthony on the left in 1987 -a year or so after the alleged event. He was in the movie Adventures In Babysitting. While he doesn’t look like he’s 6’2”, I’d say he was average sized. Now as to why he didn’t fight back-maybe he thought it was a game. Maybe he was shocked. Maybe he didn’t know what the heck was going on. Who knows what actions went on before. Depending on the party and what happened prior-I could see thinking it might be a game before the attempted humping started. But the main point is, if true, a 26 year old should not have been trying to hump a 14 year old. It doesn’t matter why the 14 year old didn’t resist.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

No, it's outing regardless. The person having worked against gay rights is when certain people like Michael Signorile declared outing was acceptable. The definition of the term is exposing their hidden homosexuality.

At the beginning, I thought Outweek Magazine's Signorile had an outline of when to out people. Example: famous person who had been friendly to the gay and Lesbian community, but had never come out. Outline: wait until they die.

I asked Signorile at a book signing. His response, No, it's more random and based on my thinking when writing in the moment.

I can not put quote there because it was so long ago, but it's close enough to what Signorile meant.

Not sure to what you refer as "the future standard."

The standard that such behavior is wrong is unchanged but the acceptance of it ("everybody knew") and the silence from the victims is what may change for the better. The sea change occurring is that the public will no longer "wink" at such behavior (think: the joke told at the Academy Awards a few years ago about the actress nominees no longer having to worry about Weinstein and the whole audience seemed to be in on the joke and knew exactly what the deal was) and the victims will no longer feel ashamed and come forward. The sooner these predators are removed, the better off we all will be.

What you described is exactly what I meant - whether the standard will be silence, capitulation, shaming the victim, etc., or whether it will be what it has been the last month - don't even think about it, or your career is toast.

burned-out-what-to-do-burnt-toast.jpg

1. Its not a speech issue and there are statutes of limitation on claims for libel/slander. There isn't unlimited free speech in the US, something too many Americans don't understand. The concept of free speech, as many use it, relates to prohibitions on the GOVERNMENT impeding speech or prosecuting people for it. But even the government can limit speech when it relates to secret or confidential information a citizen has agreed to keep confidential.

2. When the government isn't involved, speech isn't unlimited. One cannot say or write something about another which harms that person without consequences. Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/Employers can place limitations on speech and levy consequences for those who express offensively. Being held liable in a civilian court, somewhat unfortunately, often requires the plaintiff to demonstrate economic damages (someone claims a doctor groped them without proof, the doctor loses patients - income, so the doctor can - rightfully - sue the heck out of the person making the claim). If you were an actor and I made a claim without sufficient proof (think court of law proof) and that caused you to lose a lot of money you could sue me (and if I had money) likely win. Without consequences someone can say anything they want about anyone without the thought they need to be responsible or truthful.

3. To make my point it doesn't matter to me how Spacey responded. My primary point is its not right for anyone to make the claims that have been made over 30 years later given how society reacts because the next time someone makes a claim and its denied the person targeted will have it even harder to protect their reputation and their lives because guilt is too often assumed. The damages from any false claim, whether improper acts of a doctor/actor/whomever, can be far worse than economic.

If 30 year old claims were not heard the abuses within the Catholic Church would never have come to light. Is that what you are suggesting?

Who knows why he waited this long to say something. Maybe he saw Kevin as a powerhouse and going against him alone would’ve buried any career opportunities. Maybe he found courage amongst all these women coming out against Weinstein. He probably felt he’s not all alone after all. Who knows?

This isn't the first time he said something.

I must have missed what happened to Halperin? He comes across very measured and well researched in his opinions.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/10/25/media/mark-halperin-sexual-harassment-allegations/index.html

It's a shame. I loved his "Game Change" books. He was in the process of writing one with his co-author John Heilemann about the 2016 race.

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/358137-halperins-game-change-co-author-flabbergasted-by-sex-harassment-allegations

And, no surprise, Heilemann was shocked, too. The people who are closest to these guys are always surprised, and they probably are just being honest.

Both of the comments below reflect that as a society we probably need to be discussing this issue a lot more, because:

The negative reaction I had to this statement [by a Gay Hollywood insider] is it almost sounds like it's saying that good Gays finish last, and predator Gays finish first. It doesn't say that, but it does kind of sound that way.

I think Spacey is a great actor. My guess is that he made it to the top because he has talent, not because he's a predator. Whatever you say about Hollywood, I've always thought it did a good job of finding and rewarding talent. Including for example forgiving anti-Semites like Mel Gibson if it turns out they are good at directing movies, or forgiving Clint Eastwood's failed routine at the 2012 RNC if he makes good movies. Meanwhile, there are no doubt many really nice Gay gays in Hollywood who just don't have the talent to make it. It would be a mistake to conclude that somehow being a predator gives Gays an advantage to climb to the top. The point is that once you have made it to the top, Hollywood seems like it is a place where it is perhaps easier than other places to use your power to engage in predatory behavior - whether you are Gay or Straight, male or female.

I don't think there are any good "official" stats on how many predators are female. I was the one who posted the chart suggesting over 9 in 10 predators are male. I had to search for a while to find anything, because most charts and online information relate to the characteristics of the victims, not the predators. Once I found that chart, I tried to find an attribution as to where the data came from, and didn't.

Now another reference has been made that perhaps 1 in 4 perpetrators are women.

What seems painfully obvious is that this stuff is so common and is so frequently swept under the rug that there is just a lot of ignorance about who does it, and what to do about it. What is also painfully obvious is that most people who are victims have calculated that it is in their best interest to keep their mouths shut.

The more people that join the #metoo club the better picture we will all have of who is doing it, how it can be prevented, and what one should be able to expect if they do come forward.

I hope that young males who are/were molested by females join the #metoo club.

No, it's outing regardless. The person having worked against gay rights is when certain people like Michael Signorile declared outing was acceptable. The definition of the term is exposing their hidden homosexuality.

That’s what I was trying to say, ineptly. The ex-editor was explaining the Advocate’s blanket “no outing” policy.

Really? When did that distinction occur? I mean, I like the idea of it, @Kenny, but this is news to me.

What do you call it when the sexual preference of a closeted gay person who never worked against gay civil rights is made public? Because I think there are a number of them who have been under the impression that they were "outed."

That’s called reporting. It’s a common term in the English language, as Michelangelo Signorile explains:

“I was an editor at the time at OutWeek magazine, and among other stories, I’d written a cover piece, “The Secret Gay Life of Malcolm Forbes,” shortly after the multimillionaire’s death, using multiple named and unnamed sources. I simply considered this “reporting” on a (dead) public figure. There wasn’t a special word for bringing forth details on other aspects relevant to report about public figures, even if those public figures didn’t want such facts reported — from their tax returns and their business dealings to their latest girlfriends or boyfriends or their divorces — so why a term for reporting that someone is gay or has same-sex relationships?”

The term “outing” was invented (and condemned) by a closeted columnist at Time. Who could have guessed?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/michelangelo-signorile/why-i-hate-outing-and-how_b_4560156.html

I feel for any one the victim of sexual assault. I had a situation in my early 20's that traumatized me for several years. With that said, I feel that letting decades lapse before saying anything is a little ridiculous. What's the motive? On the flip side, I also feel for the accused as it's a he said - he said. We live in a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Now it seems you can say anything about anyone and they're guilty from the get-go. Lives and careers shattered from mere rumor. I'm not siding with anyone as there can be no winner in this situation. In the case of Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby there is a clear history of abuse. The one-offs being mentioned for other individuals could mean a lot of things. Misinterpretation of events, hazy memory from drugs and or alcohol, or even *gasp* someone trying to be relevant again in media. In Hollywood, everyone takes advantage of every opportunity.

why a term for reporting that someone is gay or has same-sex relationships?”

Perhaps because it can devastate their lives? I don't care a bit who invented the term or how it has come to be used, but I believe there is a HUGE difference between outing someone who is hypocritically working against our community (Aaron Schock) and someone who is choosing to remain in the closet -- for whatever reason. (Anderson Cooper)

Reporting on the hypocrisy and contradiction and sometimes downright evil of an anti-gay public figure who slips off to suck cock is news wothy and justified. Reporting on a public or private figure who is just not ready to come out, but doing no harm, is not right. Visibility is an important part of getting and maintaining gay-rights, but you don't get to force someone to be part of that visibility.

Outing Tom Daley or Anderson Cooper (it wasn't much of a secret) before they were ready to come out would have just been salacious "news." Are we expected to consider that responsible "journalism?"

I feel for any one the victim of sexual assault. I had a situation in my early 20's that traumatized me for several years. With that said, I feel that letting decades lapse before saying anything is a little ridiculous. What's the motive? On the flip side, I also feel for the accused as it's a he said - he said. We live in a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. Now it seems you can say anything about anyone and they're guilty from the get-go. Lives and careers shattered from mere rumor. I'm not siding with anyone as there can be no winner in this situation. In the case of Harvey Weinstein or Bill Cosby there is a clear history of abuse. The one-offs being mentioned for other individuals could mean a lot of things. Misinterpretation of events, hazy memory from drugs and or alcohol, or even *gasp* someone trying to be relevant again in media. In Hollywood, everyone takes advantage of every opportunity.

He said something at the time - he went to the press later. Why do people keep saying he said nothing for decades?

He said something at the time - he went to the press later. Why do people keep saying he said nothing for decades?

Perhaps it is because they have not read the original BuzzFeed article. It’s well written and outlines each instance Rapp discussed or told others about the incident. His story seems to have remained consistent over the years. Other reports I have read are merely a synopsis of the original article leaving out numerous key details.

Perhaps because it can devastate their lives?

Got an example?

Wikileaks publicly identified a Saudi man as gay (which is punishable by death in the country), but Wikileaks is merely an unvetted , frequently irresponsible platform. I mean a legit news source that has cavalierly described someone as gay, followed by his or her life being devastated. I ask not because there might not be someone, but because I can’t think of any.

Edited by Kenny

Even worse then. Spacey is a pedophile.

It's bad enough when the media uses the term incorrectly. It's very destructive when fellow gay men fall into that trap. In the professional world of psychiatry, there's a cut-off point for prepubescence. There is absolutely no evidence that Kevin Spacey is a pedophile, and we gay men should not stand by and let the media distort that fact. Certain media sources love to pin being gay with being a pedophile. We need to call them on their bullshit agenda and expose the fuckers for what they really are.

This is a picture of Anthony from the play he was appearing in at the time

It wouldn't surprise me that Spacey either saw Rapp's performance or knew about the moment captured in the photo. I could see Spacey using that moment as a device to launch his "attack," making everything sort of seem normal, in a theatrical sense. Once Rapp fell to the bed with Spacey on top of him, things could have transitioned to weird very fast. A lot of us don't remember what are brains were like at 14, and most of us don't have any experience being seduced by an adult Broadway actor, when as a teenager, we're trying to build a career of our own in the theater business.

Edited by rogerG

New allegations of sexual misconduct have surfaced against actor Kevin Spacey as questions mount over the fate of projects tied to the two-time Oscar winner.

--VARIETY (Nov. 1)

In the wake of multiple allegations brought against the 58-year-old House of Cards star throughout the past week alleging he made unwanted sexual advances toward young male actors, PEOPLE confirmed Wednesday that he is taking time to get help. “Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment,” a representative for the star said in a statement. “No other information will be available at this time.”

--PEOPLE (Nov. 2)

A representative for the actor said he "is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment". They did not give any information about what kind of treatment he wants.

--BBC News (Nov. 2)