Blade Runner 2049

foxy
This topic is 2410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This sequel that hasn’t done well at the box office is long, dark and with a complicated plot that’s not always easy to follow. It’s also very beautiful to look at. If you like dark movies that is. Seeing it on a rainy day in an almost empty theater in 3D and in a reclining seat made it the perfect Monday afternoon fever dream. I loved it. Most probably won’t.

Also saw Blade Runner: 2049 in 3D. Enjoyed it very much but a rather lengthy movie, 2hr 43 min & that's after 20 min of coming attractions. Having the last major fight scene take place in rushing water & rain does take its toll on those of us with an aging bladder. Maybe Bladder Runner would be more appropriate. ;-)

I saw it in an IMAX theater, so the sound rocked and the picture was beautiful, which was good as I would say it was a little thin on story, so you have to revel in the cinematic experience.

There are three shorts the director commissioned that detail some events between the first film and this new one. It's ok to watch them before going to see 2049.

I just saw the sequel for the second time and I think it succeeded by being attentive to its characters, world and even its plot. It definitely falls slightly short of its progenitor, but how could it not?

Gosling’s Joe is a relatively blank slate. He reaches, but can't stretch too far beyond his programming until that dull, cruel reality is upset by dreams of being different. Gosling fits neatly into his fatalistic routines.

Everything the film shows us of this alternate Earth's physiognomy fits perfectly with the world displayed by its predecessor. In the original movie, the world is suffocating in darkness and decay made more abrasive by the neon devils displayed. "2049’s" world is a rotting, broken cadaver, abandoned by the elite, soon to crumble away. The future itself is the strongest character.

"2049" suffers from a few failings; the dialogue lacks the potent economy of its sire and there are a few poor choices such as recapping the answer to the mystery and abandoning some major plot threads in the obvious hopes of a sequel, but overall it provides an intriguing addendum to a story that required none.

Archived