Star Trek: Discovery

Avalon
This topic is 2274 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing that confused me is that my understanding is that Discovery is a prequel to the original Star Trek, but the technology appeared to be more advanced than the more recent editions.

Agreed. In the very first moments of the episode I thought it would’ve been very cool if the production designer had played off the chronology of the show and created an environment that in some way mimicked the original series.

Another thought: since Discovery is set only ten years earlier than the original series, all of those earlier characters would be alive and part of Star Fleet; Kirk, Spock, etc, etc.

Sarek, Spock’s father is around but will the others appear?

At least this new show did not have a horrible opening song like "Enterprise" did.

I think what did "Enterprise" in was the Xindi storyline.

I imagined Archer and Trip (Tucker) as lovers!

In general, sci-fi fans have come to prefer long story arcs over the self-contained episodes of early Star Trek. The Xindi arc could have worked. My opinion of why Enterprise didn't succeed has more to do with its aging theme and its overall look. The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise were all driven by the same creative team, who refined the same basic theme over more than a decade. The crews were all cohesive teams with roles that for the most part were duplicated from show to show with slight variation. Data, Odo, The Doctor, Seven of Nine, and T'Pol, for example, all explored similar themes. There was some conflict between some characters, but they all supported each other like one big family that was only barely dysfunctional. By the time they got to Enterprise they had squeezed all the juice from that concept. Television had also become a lot edgier and Enterprise played like an '80s or '90s drama. Younger fans expected something more gritty and intense, as did older fans who got tired of the same formula. That's why darker shows, such as Battlestar Galactica, where every single character was conflicted and flawed took hold where Enterprise couldn't.

Also, it felt like you were watching the show in someone's basement. In most of the episodes everything was dark grey and slate blue.

Still, I'd bet that Enterprise would have lasted one more season if they hadn't gone with that "Faith of the Heart" theme.

...and I sometimes imagined Archer and Trip taking turns servicing Mayweather.

Agreed. It's so bad, that it's flawless. The picture of a Naked Man sitting on his egg will eventually show up a meme.

orville_103_publicity_clip_pulls_091217_Clip4_stitch_1505627181993_1048350275999_mp4_video_1280x720_4500000_primary_audio_eng_10_1280x720_1050338883927.jpg

I've been trying to give The Orville a chance, but it seems like they don't know what they want the show to be. It was marketed as Spaceballs meets Galaxy Quest. It comes across like an homage to Star Trek: The Next Generation with weak plots, poor writing, and a little bit of snark.
Edited by Guy Fawkes

Oh my god you're so wrong about enterprise, unless you mean the car rental service. Maybe? :)

WOW, I'm so dumb. I was confusing Enterprise with Next Generation. I was flabbergasted, mistakenly, that you didn't like Next Gen. Enterprise, on the other hand, I watched the first ep and no more. It was awful, and those friends who continued watching it confirm that it sucked.

WOW, I'm so dumb. I was confusing Enterprise with Next Generation. I was flabbergasted, mistakenly, that you didn't like Next Gen. Enterprise, on the other hand, I watched the first ep and no more. It was awful, and those friends who continued watching it confirm that it sucked.

Lol. I wasn't going to challenge you on it, but I definitely thought WTF is this man thinking? He usually shows such good taste!

Tonight was the fourth episode. We have finally met the doctor. We had already met the engineer. They were in a scene together in sickbay. They are married but neither their sexual orientation nor relationship has yet been mentioned.

Niiice!

T

My buddy Enrique and I crossed paths with George Takei and his husband exiting a theater in downtown LA. I am so shy but Enrique isn't, so while Mr. Takei dealt with my friend I gave a subtle yet warm pat on his shoulder. So yeah, I touched Sulu!!

We should all look so amazing at 80.

sulu-star-trek.jpg?quality=70&strip=all&strip=all

There's one female on the bridge that has implants like 7 of 9 yet the Federation will not encounter the Borg until years later.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Those are strange looking Klingons!

I've always been a Trekkie, have never cared for Star Wars but right now I'm preferring "The Orville" to "Discovery".

There's one female on the bridge that has implants like 7 of 9 yet the Federation will not encounter the Borg until years later.

Those are strange looking Klingons!

I've always been a Trekkie, have never cared for Star Wars but right now I'm preferring "The Orville" to "Discovery".

There was a "crossover" episode of ST:TNG, where Picard et. al., including Worf, go back to The Trouble with Tribbles episode. The Officers find the difference in the appearance of the Klingons to be striking. [Addendum: In ST:TOS, the Klingons were much more humanoid in appearance, with just a little skull change.]

I believe it was Dr. Crusher who said, "Worf! What happened?"

His reponse: "We do not like to speak of it."

There was a "crossover" episode of ST:TNG, where Picard et. al., including Worf, go back to The Trouble with Tribbles episode. The Officers find the difference in the appearance of the Klingons to be striking. [Addendum: In ST:TOS, the Klingons were much more humanoid in appearance, with just a little skull change.]

I believe it was Dr. Crusher who said, "Worf! What happened?"

His reponse: "We do not like to speak of it."

But since these Klingons are at a time before Kirk I'd think they'd look more like those in TOS.

Edited by Avalon

I watched the first two episodes and the commentary that accompanied them. I learned the writers were so devoted to the "trekkie base" that they valued consistency more than good story telling. The slow speech patterns of the Klingons put me off. The mask on the alien on the bridge is so unreal it makes everyone fail to suspend disbelief. Special effects are good. I really wanted to like this series but the writing and the makeup are off-putting.

There was a two-parter Enterprise episode that dealt with the differences in Klingons. Brent Spiner (Data) played a doctor (I think the ancestor of Noonian Soong, Data's creator) who'd been involved in creating the supermen involved in World War 3 / the Eugenics wars. He'd saved a few of the genetically enhanced supermen, and the Klingons worked with him (stole his research?) to blend the super-DNA into Klingons. The Original Series Klingons were the result. So they were pre-Kirk (since Enterprise took place maybe 130 years before the Original Series?). I think I remember them saying that those Klingons were often the ones to deal with humans.

This is all off the top of my head, probably some inaccuracies in SOME of this.

• 3 weeks later...

In tonight's episode (29 October) the doctor referred to the engineer as partner rather than husband or spouse; maybe this will clarified in a future episode.

We did learn how they met. In a cafe on Alpha Centauri and they have been together ever since!