Favorite romantic scenes/moments

samhexum
This topic is 2103 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At the end of Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), everyone is gathered to hear if Spencer Tracy will give his blessing to his white daughter marrying a black man. It was Tracy's last film; everyone involved knew he was dying. Production was arranged so that he would need to work only three hours a day. In his speech, giving his consent, he compares what the young couple feel for one another to what he has felt for his wife, played by Katharine Hepburn.

Tracy and Hepburn had been a (discreet) couple since 1941. This was their ninth film together. As Tracy's character begins to make the comparison to what he has felt for his wife (at about the 35 second mark in the clip below), he moves across the room so that Hepburn is in very soft focus on the right side of the shot. Whatever Tracy was thinking as he spoke, watch Hepburn's face (her eyes glisten, her lip quivers), and you have to think that she is relating his words to their real lives, hearing them when she knows she will soon lose him.

Tracy died 17 days after filming was completed. Hepburn claimed she could never watch the finished film.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Thank you! Obviously my search skills are lacking. Lol

Just last month, when they had to cancel gay pride in Austin, I was at one of my younger (28) friend's house and he had never seen the movie and was only vaguely aware of who Mama Cass was. I made him watch this movie. Gay 101. :p

How can a person not know Mama Cass? She died six years before I was born, and even I know her. The Mamas & the Papas has been one of my favorite groups since I was a teenager (in the mid-90's). :D

"Make your own kind of music" is one of those songs that has stuck with me forever. One of my personal anthems.

How can a person not know Mama Cass? She died six years before I was born, and even I know her. The Mamas & the Papas has been one of my favorite groups since I was a teenager (in the mid-90's). :D

"Make your own kind of music" is one of those songs that has stuck with me forever. One of my personal anthems.

LOL. He was actually familiar with that one song but didn't know that it was Mama Cass. He's second generation Mexican so he grew up with very different "old style" music. Now, Bette Midler is another story! I am not a fan and he thinks Beaches is one of the best movies ever made. That's pure homo genetics right there! :)

• 10 months later...
No Way Out when Kevin Costner and Sean Young are in the back seat of the limo.

Actress Sean Young is wanted for questioning in regards to a recent burglary at a store in Astoria. (Queens)

According to police, at around noon on Aug. 9, two laptops that contained video production software, were stolen from the School of Old, LLC on 36th Avenue. The laptops are reportedly valued at $12,000.

Young, 58, is believed to have been in the area at the time of the burglary. ABC reported that Young appeared on surveillance video at the store with an unknown individual when the burglary took place. She and an unknown individual are wanted for questioning regarding the burglary.

Young, known for her roles in “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” and “Blade Runner,” has had her fair share of run-ins with the law. She was arrested in Los Angeles in 2012 for slapping a security guard at an Oscars after-party. The charges were later dropped.

That is one of the sweetest gay coming-of-age movies ever made. When this thread first started my first thought was the scene where Jamie and Steve are coming home from their first visit to a gay pub. Running through the park so joyfully and stopping to make out. I couldn't find a clip of it though.

It really is a wonderful and touching and joyous film. I haven't seen it in a while, thinking I should go back and watch it again.

Just fyi - Jamie's love interest goes by the name Ste, not Steve. ;)

As at least one song was posted in this thread, I wanted to include what I think is a really touching and beautiful highly romantic song from this season's Tony winner, The Band's Visit.

Papi, a young Israeli, is on a comically disastrous blind date at a rollerskating rink with a girl named Julia. The Egyptian visitor Haled is there with him. After Papi tells Haled about his total incompetence in trying to date girls (the wonderfully and hysterically zany "Papi Hears The Ocean,") Haled coaches him in the art of courtship with the song "Haled's Song About Love." There isn't a full video of this scene that I can find online (there's one of the ending which I've included), but there's a great scene midway through the song where Haled motions for Papi to go sit on the bench next to Julia, then has to show him how to put her arm around her (by doing it to him) and to rub her knee (again, by doing it to him). So for a moment, we have this sweet/funny homoerotic vision of Haled with his arm around Papi, rubbing Papi's knee, while Papi also has his arm around Julia, rubbing her knee. Once Papi gets it, he gently pushes Haled's hand away (which surely always gets a laugh). Then the pair get up and start skating around and finding a romantic connection as Haled finishes the song (and Papi joins in, singing to Julia). The scene is beautiful, as is David Yazbek's sexy slow jazzy music, and truly romantic, poetic lyrics.

Here is the song off the cast recording:

Here is the last portion of the song, as captured onstage in performance: