Gay retirement destinations

Stormy
This topic is 1709 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK two things to correct here. First Cuenca is not the capitol of Ecuador QUITO is. Second the law in Mexico not allowing foreigners to own land within 35 miles of the ocean is long gone. I know many Americans who own their homes and condos in Puerto Vallarta. I don't know about the 35 mile limit from an international border but I can't imagine anyone wanting to live anywhere near the US/Mexican border.

That's fantastic they overturned it.

Just doing some quick research, it seems it was done in 2013. And with that being said and done, I'd own on the Mexican coastline.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all this talk about retiring to Mexico, do keep in mind that anything (roughly) 65 miles from a border or 35 miles from ocean is considered the restricted zone: A foreigner cannot own, outright, their property and must setup a real estate trust to hold the title.

Those are extra hurdles I'd be unwilling to jump over in figuring out where to invest my nest egg.

Yes, that is right. Plus the stability of any of the governments. For example, I am not sure whether I would be buying up mansions in Colombia. But Uruguay and Ecuador have been fairly stable for long periods of time. As for the real estate trusts (and this is only because I really don't know) if you set up a real estate trust isn't there a beneficiary that is named. And you can name yourself or someone in your family to be the beneficiary. Of course, the country's laws would decide how all that runs.

LOL. I know what you mean. I hate packing and moving. I have hired an estate agent to sell every stinking thing I own that won't fit into two suitcases and one trunk. If the hustle and bustle or the heat of San Jose become too much for me, I want to easily move out to the Central Valley where the average daily temperature is 75 degrees.

Within that average, there is a huge deviation. I couldn't handle too many 115 degree days.

OK two things to correct here. First Cuenca is not the capitol of Ecuador QUITO is. Second the law in Mexico not allowing foreigners to own land within 35 miles of the ocean is long gone. I know many Americans who own their homes and condos in Puerto Vallarta. I don't know about the 35 mile limit from an international border but I can't imagine anyone wanting to live anywhere near the US/Mexican border.

I'm sorry, that's right. Cuenca is actually much further south than Quito and much less in population. I would imagine that Quito is more of a real city atmosphere as it has more than a million people. Thanks.

I'm ready for my GAY retirement in NYC bitches..... (note the "sensible shoes")

http://68.media.tumblr.com/fc49e8d5ccf3ef478abf3c712494d48d/tumblr_ow7gsylbgs1qazanuo1_1280.jpg

It seems like a little adjustment it could be adapted to a lot of different places, Saudi Arabia, Latin America, India. Get a good tailor and a hat for each place. It just takes imagination.

LOL. I know what you mean. I hate packing and moving. I have hired an estate agent to sell every stinking thing I own that won't fit into two suitcases and one trunk. If the hustle and bustle or the heat of San Jose become too much for me, I want to easily move out to the Central Valley where the average daily temperature is 75 degrees.

Have you seen what the temperatures have been like in the Central Valley this summer?! And the air quality? No thanks.

I have not een in Uruguay or Argentina for years. Additionally Argentina and Uruguay and VERY LONG flights from the U.S.

I guess that is all relative. From here, those are average long haul flights, nothing like the Australia to US flights. For me, get on the plane, go to sleep and wake up for breakfast prior to arrival.

I'm not sure whether Qantas economy, coming around every two hours with another snack was a good or bad thing.

What criteria do y'all consider? Culture? Cost of living? Active gay subculture?

Interesting nobody has mentioned my two favorite cities: Sydney and Stockholm. Visas are a problem in Australia and the winter weather in Sweden! I have only visited Mexico once, in 1969 --- while Woodstock was happening in the U.S. @mike carey, Yes, flights to Australia take a bit of getting use to, but worth the trouble

I did like Mexico City.

Great thread! Thank you for the many suggestions.

What criteria do y'all consider? Culture? Cost of living? Active gay subculture?

I considered all of that and more...well except for the culture part. :eek:. Culture I get from traveling not from the locals, though you can find it if you look. ;). I chose Fort Lauderdale, first and foremost for year round boating, and water front property that you could actually use as 'water front' property, then added to that warm climate, cost of living, active gay subculture. I don't do earthquakes or cold weather, and when I turn on the tap, I want hot water every time, not once and while, and when I call an ambulance, I want to know they will be here in a few minutes or less, and when I put my money in the bank, I want to know it will be there when I come back.

Sure it's Trump country, but there are plenty of us boys around so that I don't pay them no mind. When I did retire, I wanted a new experience, meet new people, a bit of an adventure, mix things up a little. Life's not a dress rehearsal, this is it, so I was willing to jump into uncharted waters. No place is perfect, but so far so good.

Edited by bigvalboy

Within that average, there is a huge deviation. I couldn't handle too many 115 degree days.

Have you seen what the temperatures have been like in the Central Valley this summer?! And the air quality? No thanks.

The Central Valley is a very large area and it very much depends on your elevation. Although the concept of Summer isn't really applicable in a country so close to the equator -- it's really just the wet or the dry season -- I have friends in Atenas who did tell me it's been unusually hot because it was in the low 90s. It never breaks 100 half way up the mountains and I'm not aware of any place in Costa Rica (Although I admit I don't study the weather of the entire country all year long.) that hits 115. The driest hottest part of the country did hit 109 last year, but I live in Texas. I am not impressed. :)

That said, the country in general does get pretty warm, but my apartment in San Jose has air conditioning and I will take heat over cold any day. Weather below 50 degrees is simply not in my retirement future.

I chose Costa Rica because:

First and foremost I have a couple wonderful friends there who will help me get settled.

Cost of living.

It's a beautiful country where you can get to beaches, mountains or rainforests within a few hours.

Quality of healthcare. While someone above mentioned that Costa Ricans are smug about not having a standing military, I believe they're just proud of it. Yes, their police are well-armed, but nothing compared to the militarization of our own police forces. The money that would have been spent on a military goes into education and healthcare. (CAJA)

They welcome pensioners into their country and into CAJA. A pensionado visa actually requires that 10% of your fixed pension income is paid into CAJA, but that can be as low as $100 a month. Is the healthcare as good as the wealthy receive in the US?...no. Is it as good as non-supplemented medicare?...better.

Am I the only one here who wants easy availability of go-go boys and/or strippers? I'd love to retire in Boystown, where I could enjoy the hunks at the Abbey. Fort Lauderdale also has great strippers, but then I'd also need a summer home. How are the strippers in Vancouver?

I also have friends living in Costa Rica and they love it. They have wonderful housing and food. They found learning Spanish made things easier but moving to a country with a different language always is made easier by learning their language.

And the immersion experience makes it so much easier to learn the language.

Am I the only one here who wants easy availability of go-go boys and/or strippers? I'd love to retire in Boystown, where I could enjoy the hunks at the Abbey. Fort Lauderdale also has great strippers, but then I'd also need a summer home. How are the strippers in Vancouver?

At some point you will feel too Old for that, and when things are too available, they are no longer sought after. But who am I to talk? i stay in NYC for the sex clubs.

No not necessarily. And, depending on where you want to go, I am not sure that there might not be go-go boys/strippers available. I think you have to look and make it a factor in your decision. If 5 - 10% of the world is gay, I am sure that a certain number of those might be at a pole or willing to use one at your home.

OMG, the décor there is so horrendous. Buffalo carcass and cactus, and woven serape.... Fuck NO!

I swear, in my recent travels through New Mexico, I never set foot in a single room with a buffalo carcass ... or even a buffalo skin.

However, I did come across this picture of Georgia O'Keeffe's house in Abiquiu and I suppose what's on the floor there may once have been on a buffalo ...

http://media.guestofaguest.com/t_article_content/gofg-media/2017/03/1/48576/g_korab__45cn1a_s1.jpg

But here's the same room without it. So, just a matter of how you want to decorate inside.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/2f/11/d02f1156aa770a0bb84e332490565987.jpg

Meanwhile, there's a lot of natural beauty outside -- high desert, big sky, mountains, gorges.

I swear, in my recent travels through New Mexico, I never set foot in a single room with a buffalo carcass ... or even a buffalo skin.

However, I did come across this picture of Georgia O'Keeffe's house in Abiquiu and I suppose what's on the floor there may once have been on a buffalo ...

http://media.guestofaguest.com/t_article_content/gofg-media/2017/03/1/48576/g_korab__45cn1a_s1.jpg

But here's the same room without it. So, just a matter of how you want to decorate inside.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/2f/11/d02f1156aa770a0bb84e332490565987.jpg

Meanwhile, there's a lot of natural beauty outside -- high desert, big sky, mountains, gorges.

I find the before warm and inviting (despite the skin) and the after to be cold and offputting. Do I need therapy??

Dust and tumbleweeds ? NO thank you... I feel "parched" just reading this... :D

I'll stick with "pizza rats" in NYC.....