technical question

José Soplanucas
This topic is 2447 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have noticed this in The Gallery threads.

Sometimes, when I click on the link to a thread, I am taken straight to the last post I have seen.

Sometimes, instead, I am taken to the Opening Post.

Can anyone explain why? Is it the way the thread is set up by the OP?

I guess this is a question for @deej , @Cooper , or @Guy Fawkes .

Thank you!

I think the way it works is (assuming that you're logged in), if there are new posts you haven't read, it takes you to the first unread post. If there are no unread posts (if you've seen up to the last), then it starts at the beginning.

If you're not logged in, it'll always go to the first post since there is no sense of what you have read.

I think the way it works is (assuming that you're logged in), if there are new posts you haven't read, it takes you to the first unread post. If there are no unread posts (if you've seen up to the last), then it starts at the beginning.

If you're not logged in, it'll always go to the first post since there is no sense of what you have read.

I am logged in and I am taken to my last read post only sometimes. As I said, some other times I am taken to the OP.

Your browser renders the whole page, starting at the top. If there are images on the page that are not already in the browser's cache, it must download them. If they're cached it may still need to re-scale them. With discussion threads, there are few or no images so you wouldn't see this behavior.

That make more sense. Still, why it renders some time the first page, and some times the last view page? May be I am not fully understanding your answer.

Archived