Cincinnati

José Soplanucas
This topic is 2275 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ive never been to Cincinnati.. except the airport. And I think thats across the river in KY.

I lived in Louisville. Its pretty close... but never drove it. When flights went through the Delta hub there, the flying time from Louisville was a strangely brief.

If I still lived in KY, I'd have agreed to meet, and made it an excuse to see the city.

Go find some Graeter's ice cream

And avoid Skyline chili. That shit's nasty.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like Cincinnati Chili. Had it for the first time a few years ago. That said, Deadspin rates it behind being hit by a car....

"For the mercifully unacquainted, "Cincinnati chili," the worst regional foodstuff in America or anywhere else, is a horrifying diarrhea sludge (most commonly encountered in the guise of the "Skyline" brand) that Ohioans slop across plain spaghetti noodles and hot dogs as a way to make the rest of us feel grateful that our own shit-eating is (mostly) figurative."

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like Cincinnati Chili. Had it for the first time a few years ago. That said, Deadspin rates it behind being hit by a car....

"For the mercifully unacquainted, "Cincinnati chili," the worst regional foodstuff in America or anywhere else, is a horrifying diarrhea sludge (most commonly encountered in the guise of the "Skyline" brand) that Ohioans slop across plain spaghetti noodles and hot dogs as a way to make the rest of us feel grateful that our own shit-eating is (mostly) figurative."

http://deadspin.com/the-great-american-menu-foods-of-the-states-ranked-an-1349137024

LOL!

It tastes like some pre-literate child went behind his parent's back while they were making chili and added whatever can of spice they could reach from the pantry into the pot. Unfortunately, in this case the can of spice was powdered chocolate/cocoa.

I lived in Cincinnati twice-once for 6 months in 1989 and then for 2-1/2 years from 2001 to 2003. I tried their chili once in 1989 and never again. During my second stint there, I actually considered it once or twice to see if I hated it as much as I remembered. But I couldn't make myself.

As for things to do, see if you can find a bar where you can cornhole. I mentioned cornholing in an email to my brother years ago. He was worried I was being perverted until he saw this definition from the Urban Dictionary--

TOP DEFINITION

Corn Hole

Corn Hole is a serious toss game played in leauges on the West Side of Cincinnati Ohio. The game and targets are very similar to Bag'O, a commercial game from the East Coast U.S..

Ex: My buddies from *Delhi and I get together on the weekends to drink beer and play Corn Hole.

* A Cincinnati neighborhood

Gman

I am bored in this city, and ending exhausted every day, working hard until 5 PM. Any board members around to have a drink one of the nights?

Cincy is a little hit or miss. When the pro teams are in town, the city has a different vibe to me than when they are not in town.

Is this going to be a recurring trip for you?

Cincy is a little hit or miss. When the pro teams are in town, the city has a different vibe to me than when they are not in town.

Is this going to be a recurring trip for you?

I am not sure. It may become an annual trip, every June, but I am lobbying ETS to rotate with the other AP reading locations. Next year I want to go to Tampa.

Cincinnati is called the "Queen City." You should feel at home.

Actually, if I only had a year to live I'd move there. It would make it seem sooooo much longer. Hamilton County (Cincy) used to be run by fascists and gays in Louisville (my locale) would never venture that way. Now, I think it's just boring. BTW, I like Skyline Chili though I suspect it's an acquired taste.

I love Cincinnati. I had some of the best friends I ever had in my life there. I'm still Facebook friends with one of them even though we haven't seen each other in 10 years, and due to finances probably won't be back.

And while I understand why those people in the video don't want to drive in Over-The Rhine (OTR), I hear it's a lot better than it used to be.

Gman

I got a flu, so I am crawling from the hotel to work and back to the hotel and have not been able to hit the streets and the clubs. But I think I had a preview of how promising the city could be. Some of the guys working in the hotel and in cleaning crews in the convention center are smoking hot.

• 8 months later...