Easter!

AdamSmith
This topic is 2589 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From a year ago...

While I do not associate myself with organized religion - this hymn has always brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my skin. The manner in which it glorifies this celebratory occasion is truly majestic. Thanks for posting.

As a kid, I belonged to a boys choir at the local Episcopal church. I loved all of holy week. Palm Sunday was nearly as big a deal as Easter. Maunday Thursday was also joyful because it commemorated the first celebration of the Eucharist. Good Friday was somber but the evening ritual, called Tenebrae, was dramatic. Saturday, they lit the Pascal candle. Then Easter was an explosion of flowers, majestic music, great new spring clothes, etc. I felt like we never left the church all week.

While I do not associate myself with organized religion - this hymn has always brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my skin. The manner in which it glorifies this celebratory occasion is truly majestic. Thanks for posting.

I am likewise not a believer in any way that organized religion would acknowledge.

Yet over the past handful of years I have come to see how our poor doomed Yeshua bar Josef indeed all too literally indeed gave himself, that I might live.

And likewise Ghatauma Buddha. And the authors of the sacred Vedantas. (Although, not living under Roman domination, they fortunately did not risk crucifixion.)

But I think, at the end of the day, and from infinitely moving visits to their shrines, and study of their thought, I think simple, gentle Shinto sees most deeply into the heart of it all.

It was what finally helped me draw my concepts and modes of conceiving entirely out of their native Western bonds.

Which after all are still so terribly Stone Age and limiting and just unseeing in every possible way.

Alas alas alas, as my great master Bloom puts it.

My own, genuine, faith this day is simply Shinto.

Archived