Hello Dolly

This topic is 2055 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Made the terrible mistake of watching the Blu Ray movie of "Hello Dolly"! This has to be one of the worst musicals ever made. Gene Kelly as director should have stayed with his dancing. It was actually embarrassing. Streisand should have played Horace...she would have been more believable. And I'm a Streisand fan! Michael Crawford (showing none of the singing ability he later used in "Phantom") was so bad all we could do was laugh as we picked our chin(s) up off the floor. Matthau played it as if he wanted to be somewhere else. And I do blame Kelly for not knowing what he was doing. No matter how talented the performer, if they are directed to mug and indicate, they can be truly bad! The sets and settings were, however, beautiful.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Crawford (showing none of the singing ability he later used in "Phantom").

Some might say he never had much ability to sing in the first place. I was never a fan of his rather weak-sounding Phantom... Same goes for Brightman: She breathily warbled her way through the show and there have been a number of better-sung, more technically proficient vocalists tackle Christine.

Dolly the film was okay. It felt like a vanity project (which, let's face it, is most of what Streisand has done since hitting it big).

Same goes for Brightman: She breathily warbled her way through the show and there have been a number of better-sung, more technically proficient vocalists tackle Christine.

Ah yes - but wasn't she "uniquely qualified" to bring the role to Broadway?? (Though we all knew that was really only code for "sleeping with thc composer" lol.)

Ah yes - but wasn't she "uniquely qualified" to bring the role to Broadway?? (Though we all knew that was really only code for "sleeping with thc composer" lol.)

Bingo. Banging Andrew-Lloyd does tend to change things a bit.

And speaking of ALW, don't throw something at me, but I've been hankering for a Joseph revival. Would love to see it modernized and cleaned up a bit. I think it's one of those ridiculously inoffensive musicals that would do well with today's Broadway ticket buyer.

...And speaking of ALW, don't throw something at me, but I've been hankering for a Joseph revival. Would love to see it modernized and cleaned up a bit. I think it's one of those ridiculously inoffensive musicals that would do well with today's Broadway ticket buyer.

Totally agree. But, one of my favorite Joseph shows was with the Osmond boys. And, I did see a local rendition where the brothers wore leather and rode motorcycles (instead of camels).

. And speaking of ALW, don't throw something at me, but I've been hankering for a Joseph revival. Would love to see it modernized and cleaned up a bit. I think it's one of those ridiculously inoffensive musicals that would do well with today's Broadway ticket buyer.

I like Joseph. I should say that I like it the way it used to be, before they started adding endless reprises, repeats, and other padding to make it overlong. (The Broadway production that starred the amazing, late Laurie Beechman as the Narrator is a pretty decent guide to the way I think the show should flow. Though I do like some of the arrangements from later versions - just not all the excessive padding.)

Though there are some people that still get a bit rankled by what they think the show represents. I once suggested the show to a producer who was looking for a family-friendly musical that would really sell - aside from The Sound Of Music and Annie, lol. When I mentioned Joseph - which does seem to be one of those shows that people always want to see - she actually gasped and said, "but that's a BIBLE story." The fact is, it's not, really - in the sense that religion is not the theme of the show at all - and I know that religion was the thing that caused her reaction, lol.

I like Joseph. I should say that I like it the way it used to be, before they started adding endless reprises, repeats

This is a little known secret, but Joseph was actually written by Don McLean

Ah, Laurie Beechman. I never had the pleasure of seeing her live, but her YouTube videos are awesome. She had a BELT.

I did like some of the newer arrangements of Joseph in the last few West End revivals. It allowed whomever played Joseph to show off a nice pop-leaning tenor and kept things a little more exciting. Sorta like the '94 revival of Grease on Broadway: Those arrangements were just AWESOME. Sam Harris and Billy Porter shook the roof.

Ah, Laurie Beechman. I never had the pleasure of seeing her live, but her YouTube videos are awesome. She had a BELT.

People forget that she was one of the driving forces of the ensemble in the original Annie. The original "Star To Be" among other featured roles - but my personal favorite is during "We'd Like To Thank You, Herbert Hoover" when she belts the line "who know I could steal?"

I did like some of the newer arrangements of Joseph in the last few West End revivals. It allowed whomever played Joseph to show off a nice pop-leaning tenor and kept things a little more exciting.

The moment at the end of "Close Ev'ry Door" where it goes a capella, and Joseph goes for a high note on "for we know we shall find..." - yup - goosebumps. :D

Grease? Can't say much in favor of any version of that horrid show, lol. (Hey - I have to hate something...lol.) I agree about Harris and Porter - but I'd rather hear them in other music. ;) (I do have a fondness for "There Are Worse Things I Can Do" and a few others - but mostly - yuck. And the worst thing is the message at the end - Sandy learns how to act like a slut just to get her guy. Ick.)

Made the terrible mistake of watching the Blu Ray movie of "Hello Dolly"! This has to be one of the worst musicals ever made. Gene Kelly as director should have stayed with his dancing. It was actually embarrassing. Streisand should have played Horace...she would have been more believable. And I'm a Streisand fan! Michael Crawford (showing none of the singing ability he later used in "Phantom") was so bad all we could do was laugh as we picked our chin(s) up off the floor. Matthau played it as if he wanted to be somewhere else. And I do blame Kelly for not knowing what he was doing. No matter how talented the performer, if they are directed to mug and indicate, they can be truly bad! The sets and settings were, however, beautiful.

Apparently, Matthau detested Streisand so that might explain his very grumpy performance. I actually thought he was the truest character in the film. Streisand was not yet 30 and herself says she was way too young to play the role. I always get very tired of her mouth twisting when she lip synchs, and the showing off of her hands and butt - she seems to be very proud of her posterior in every film. God only knows what Michael Crawford was doing! I put down his very weird vocal mannerisms and inflections to having trouble with an American accent but that might be going too far in giving him the benefit of the doubt. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful performance.

• 5 months later...

Finally gave in (and forked over a fortune) to see this show 2-3 months ago......

I have to say to my surprise it was incredible and worth every penny.

Everyone in the cast was en pointe and spectacular.

Unfortunately, I went to see it again with a friend this past week.. It was just as expensive,

if not more since we're nearing the end of Bette's run. This time Midler scratched her way through

the music. Her voice is clearly shot. She's still Bette and her acting and shtick were still great,

but without the voice...it was rough. Even worse is David Hyde Pierce. Half the time I'm not sure

he even knew where he was. And he could barely talk....much less sing his lines. By the second

act I was a little worried he was having a stroke.

The rest of the cast was still great, but with these two leads on the sidelines, the show never

takes off. Just a warning if you were getting an itchy finger and hoping to catch Bette and

David before they leave the show.....save your money and get tickets for the next cast.

Unfortunately, the parade....has already passed by on this one.

PS the actor Taylor Trensch who plays the adorable sidekick Barnaby Tucker will be taking

over the lead in Dear Evan Hansen this February. Now THAT I want to see!

I hope you had good seats and the audience was well behaved. Years ago I went to see "Evita". Everytime a song began the audience continually applauded til half-way through the song.

Another time I went to a theater-in-the-round and my seat was behind a pole. There was a blind man who had a front row seat.

Here's a picture of Taylor Trensch

https://www.ibdb.com/cache/person/4939221492627951.jpg

Totally agree. But, one of my favorite Joseph shows was with the Osmond boys. And, I did see a local rendition where the brothers wore leather and rode motorcycles (instead of camels).

Lo, those many years ago when I decided on a whim to see the touring company of Joseph in Chicago, starring Donnie Osmond. I enjoyed the production, which played as a bit campy, and the music, but what remains with me the most is how gorgeous Donnie's chest/abs/arms were back then, when he must have prepared with a trainer before assuming the role. I'm certain he was in the best physical shape ever at that point in his life and that production had him in pretty skimpy outfits once he became an outcast. Even as the Pharaoh's advisor, he wore this brief little gold lamé wrap-around number which still somehow emphasized the fact that "Donnie got back!!!" :eek::rolleyes:;)

TruHart1 :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone planning on seeing Peters now that she's taken over?

In seeing this show a couple of times now and reading reports on industry boards, my main issue with HD remains the audience. They're seemingly incapable of sitting and just enjoying the show, preferring to give multiple odd ovations and loud 'wooooo'ing throughout. Broadway now sometimes feels as if it's become more about the audience than the performance. Audiences feel that they can act like complete asshats because they've paid premium prices.

I don't blame LuPone for her speaking out on these behaviors. Broadway sometimes feels like a zoo nowadays.

Just had to pay over $600 for premium seating for Boys in the Band next May. Hopefully a more ordered audience!

That's pure insanity. You must love that play, lol - though for me, it's nothing more than a very dated, overly bitchy/malicious stereotypical rant fest that I really don't care to see (even if it's in many ways still somehow historically important as a gay play) - and certainly not for that amount of money, lol. But - enjoy...:D

In seeing this show a couple of times now and reading reports on industry boards, my main issue with HD remains the audience. They're seemingly incapable of sitting and just enjoying the show, preferring to give multiple odd ovations and loud 'wooooo'ing throughout. Broadway now sometimes feels as if it's become more about the audience than the performance. Audiences feel that they can act like complete asshats because they've paid premium prices.

I don't blame LuPone for her speaking out on these behaviors. Broadway sometimes feels like a zoo nowadays.

Did you ever see the filmed (by MTV) showing of Legally Blonde? I swear it was more about the endlessly whoop-whooping screaming girls in the audience than it was about the show itself, lol.

Now, granted - I certainly prefer audiences to express themselves in joyful/involved ways when it's appropriate - but yeah, there's wasy to show appropriate enthusiasm without going way over the top for the sake of going way over the top...

I have tickets to see her in it on Feb 10. I saw it twice with Bette, once in previews and another time after it opened. Both shows were great. Looking forward to seeing Bernedette in the part

• 4 weeks later...

Saw Bernadette last night, she was terrific, as is this production. How do you replace a legend? You get another legend!

This is a great production with a new cast and they all are superb. This is classic Broadway theater and the audience loved it and was on their feet screaming and applauding before the curtain fell. I will try to see this show again.

Of note is the adorable actor/dancer Charlie Stems in the role of Barnaby Tucker. This kid was amazing. A relative unknown up until recently, he hails from the UK, where he received glowing notices in the revival of Half A Sixpence. His professional debt, not that long ago, was his role as a monkey in Wicked! Look out for this kid, he's a bundle of talent.

http://static.playbill.com/dims4/default/29a9668/2147483647/crop/2021x1138%2B6%2B0/resize/970x546/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.playbill.com%2F36%2F61%2Ff2fe57a6465eb7091de1d296bb34%2Fcharlie-stemp.jpg