Gas Prices ..... So what???

joel304
This topic is 6828 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It cracks me up when gas prices strike such a response from the media and the average guy. Gas prices do not change anyone's behavior? Am I wrong?

The street beat reporter interviewing Mr. Jones at the gas pump asking, "how will this affect your summer plans Mr. Johnson?" Mr. Johnson responds, "we won't be able to take our annual summer vacation to take Billy to the shore." Bullshit. If gas went up 50 cents per gallon overnight, the trip to take Billy to the fu..ing shore from NYC to Florida would cost an additional average of $6 per tank. Is Billy adopted? You'll forgo Billy's shore visit for $50 roundtrip. Christ, that's lunch for two at Disney.

We pay $1.50 for a tiny bottled water, $9 for a glass of cheap wine, $40,000 for a car, $8 for a pack of smokes in NYC and $250 per hour to get laid.

In reality, gas hasn't inflated nearly as much as other goods, but gets the majority of our bitch.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gas may not affect your pocket book or mine at this moment but that does not mean it wont affect others for sure…for instance if gas goes up and someone has to drive 45min to and from work every day filling up an 18 gallon tank two or three times a week then that can have a major affect on the common man...Now I know I am taking a leap here but try and stay with me.

Remember that if gas goes up the food prices go up and if oil prices go up then everything costs more for everyone as oil and gas have some indirect affect on the economy other than just cars. As for spending $40,000 on a car…I only wish everyone could, I think what is sad is the fact that most people don’t even own there car...the dealership does.

What cracks me up is that we're still talking about rising gas prices even after a couple of years.

I DO think that rising gas prices affects people's behavior, although I don't necessarily mean little Billy and his father Mr. Jones or Mr. Johnson.

People that use their vehicles to make a living (from taxis to contractors to delivery services, etc.) are going to feel the pinch. And that might be reflected in the quantity and quality of services they offer.

Household consumers are most definitely going to feel a pinch. "Aren't we all glad that we purchased those family-friendly, gas-guzzling SUVs when the price was right?"

One of my biggest fears is that certain industries that have reacted to the slumping economy by slashing prices will use the rise in gasoline to introduce yet another "hidden cost." For example, the airline industries are notorious for offering great roundtrip fares, but by the time that you add up the taxes, security fees, 9/11 fees, fuel surcharges, etc. it doesn't really sound too much like a discount.

And don't get me started on where heating prices will go, if winter doesn't leave the northeast pretty soon !

hd NYC

Hybrid taxis are being introduced in SF now. Slowly, of course.

BTW, it's 80 here today HotDad. I'm gonna take the SUV to the Castro to cruise the eye candy.

My newly acquired Atkins body, along with my pimp ride, should surely get me ....... nothing probably :-(

>Hybrid taxis are being introduced in SF now. Slowly, of

>course.

>

>BTW, it's 80 here today HotDad. I'm gonna take the SUV to the

>Castro to cruise the eye candy.

>

>My newly acquired Atkins body, along with my pimp ride, should

>surely get me ....... nothing probably :-(

Sweet, joel.....you've got me feeling pretty jealous here. NYC is 28 degrees, the only Castro WE have is a convertible sofa store (I think) and the eye candy on our streets, lately, hurts my vision.

On the other hand, nothing like putting down the backseats of an SUV, fucking your brains out and then taking it for a car wash. The increase in gas far outweighs the cost of a transient hotel.

Don't forget your sunblock !

hd NYC

I don't drive so I don't care about gas prices, but when they raise doll prices at Toys'R'Us, I still don't get upset...I just work my ass a little more in Derek's direction so he'll increase my allowance (you see, he keeps me in an infantile state -- hey, it works for us).

>The street beat reporter interviewing Mr. Jones at the gas

>pump asking, "how will this affect your summer plans Mr.

>Johnson?" Mr. Johnson responds, "we won't be able to take our

>annual summer vacation to take Billy to the shore." Bullshit.

>If gas went up 50 cents per gallon overnight, the trip to take

>Billy to the fu..ing shore from NYC to Florida would cost an

>additional average of $6 per tank. Is Billy adopted? You'll

>forgo Billy's shore visit for $50 roundtrip. Christ, that's

>lunch for two at Disney.

>

Joel, your math is a bit awry. Do US fuel tanks only hold 12 gallons ($6 extra per tank/50c increase)? Your $50 extra per roundtrip equates to 100 gallons. You are very unlikely to get more than 20 miles per gallon, people just do not have the perfectly tuned and adjusted vehicles and drive at a constant 50mph without heating or air conditioning as the EPA tests assume. So your 100 gallons will take you about 2000 miles roundtrip at most. Is it really only 1000 miles from NYC to Florida?

>What cracks me up is that we're still talking about rising

>gas prices even after a couple of years.

Couple of years? My high school yearbook from 1976 has a photo of a gas pump and a caption moaning about prices! LOL

Americans started buying smaller, more fuel-efficient, cars following the oil shortages of the 70's. We (collectively) forgot that lesson.

He who forgets history is doomed to repeat it.

Dear Londonbear,

I thought that we only squabbled in the politics forum? Below is from mapquest. I was off 80 miles. Not bad.

Starting from: New York, NY Save Address

Arriving at: Orlando, FL Save Address

Distance: 1084.2 miles Approximate Travel Time: 16 hours 40 mins Get Reverse Directions

The Honda Accord has a twelve gallon tank, and air conditioing is for pussies. In England, you get worse mileage because the windows always have to be down to accommodate chain smoking

:7

But, what about the argument that suggests fuel prices, when adjusted for inflation, are lower that ever, or at least certainly NOT at their highest:

http://www.cspnet.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=7350A462043E4BDE8B4A26F3DB6A9720

and

http://www.automotivedigest.com/view_art.asp?articlesID=14853

This is a pretty smart argument - compare your fuel prices with your income, your house payment, a bottle of water, etc. 7, 15, 20 years ago. When was the last time people talked about rising egg prices, or loaves of bread? They charge much more for those items today than 7, 15, 20 years ago?

I never paid much attention to gas prices, because I lived in the downtown of a major city and could take public transport, walk, or ride my bike. Then I moved to the desert, and suddenly I pay a lot of attntion, because there is no convenient public transport, distances are too far to walk, and I can only ride my bike during daylight in winter. Plus, we now need TWO cars. So, I understand better why most of the general public obsesses about gas prices.

Nevertheless, I go ballistic when people start screaming that we need to lower the price of gas. Higher prices are GOOD, because it forces people to think before buying gas-guzzling vehicles or taking unnecessary trips. Behaviors will seriously change only when gas gets to $4 or $5 per gallon.

I feel gas prices all the time…San Antonio sucks for public transportation as we are in Texas you know! I agree though that gas is cheaper now than ever and we need to cut our silly bitching at times however I think of the small guy who works at a gas station earning nothing….

I think its time we develop a transporter like the ones in Star Trek!

You are correct in much of what you say, but the bigger issue not the direct impact of paying more at the pump for individual consumers, but what happens to the price of everything else when fuel costs are high.

When diesel prices go up, it is very hard on independent truckers, who are often paid a flat fee per mile for hauling goods to the stores. Essentially, it becomes a pay cut. The larger trucking fleets increase the price for shipping goods, which ultimately raises the price everyone pays for those good.

In short, high fuel prices are inflationary for the economy, not a good thing.

Dan Rather did story about gas prices on his last program for CBS News. The problem according to the Saudi oil minister, is lack of oil refineries in the U.S. A Wall Street oil broker said the minister is correct. No new oil refineries have been built in the U.S. in twenty five years. The law of supply and demand. The U.S. is not able to refine crude oil into gasoline fast enough to meet the growing demand. Now China and Russia also have a growing need for even more oil.

Guest rohale

>It cracks me up when gas prices strike such a response from

>the media and the average guy.

Take a good luck at the world around you. Most people dont live the life of Mr Jones. Most have it far worse. I don't crack up when I see gas prices go up and for one reason. For someone like myself, paying a higher premium at the gas pump is affordable. I pay by credit card and I dont think twice. However within the company I work for, I know certain individuals who are operating under hard times to make ends meet. For some of them, they have families to raise and it's not easy in making those tough financial choices.

I work with one particular person who is under enormous financial pressure. She's raising two kids with her spouse. As a family they live in rental accommodations, not in the best past part of the county. I worry for her because she struggles everyday of her life. The paycheck she makes is spent on paying bills as well as keeping her family afloat. There are days when she comes to work and she worries because her family can only help her so much. At times, she borrows money from co-workers to keep herself going. When she needs help and someone to talk to. I never turn a blind eye or a deaf ear to her problems. I help her when she needs it. I'm very sympathetic to her, at one point in my life I was in a similar situation. When I was fresh out of college, for the first two years, I struggled to save money. Like most people, I had to make those tough financial decisions, paying rent, having to choose as to how much I would be spending on groceries and gas on a weekly basis. I had to stand on my own two feet and at the time, I felt life was a bitter pill.

A few years later, I'm now financially sound, but I've never forgotten those days. When I hear from co-workers or people that I grew up who cant afford to purchase a full tank of gas. It makes me sad because I know these people. Life is brutal.

Take a good closer at the world around you. If you still think it's funny that people complain about the price of gasoline, then it's a real shame. One day you could be in that position financially, then you may not find it funny after all.

Rohale

Archived