How's Your Investment Portfolio?

jawjateck
This topic is 1935 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been "luck"y every year for over a decade. Sure hope my good fortune continues because those index fund returns aint enough to fund my hobbying habit until I move into the nursing home. :p

Jawja's vision of a "nursing" home...;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HTKNPUJxSrE/TVOoRoWVgEI/AAAAAAAAAIo/asXPo-3Sbes/s1600/somenudestoddUnffhhtitled.jpg

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<...> Research shows that time in the market beats timing the market. <...> So just stick to a passively managed broad-based index fund with low fees and you'll be better off in the long run.

+1

61674424.jpg

"Less than 25% of the top-performing active managers are able to consistently outperform their passive manager counterparts." http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/efficientmarkethypothesis.asp

USAA takes care of me......

if they told me to go jump off a cliff, I'd gladly do it....I think they are that good....very lucky my Dad was an officer in the military, as kids have been able to join USAA for years now (and ALL military can join now).....

Years ago I wanted to confirm the hype that my rate for insurance through them was indeed the best, so I called one of the biggies for a quote. In the process she asked me through whom I was currently insured. When I said USAA, she said "So why are you calling us? We can't beat them." Made that quick and easy.

Kevin Slater

Edited by Kevin Slater

very lucky my Dad was an officer in the military, as kids have been able to join USAA for years now (and ALL military can join now).....

I may be wrong, but I don't believe that just having a parent who was in the service qualifies you for USAA. Your parent must have had USAA insurance themselves for their children to qualify. Both of my parents were in the military but I have been turned down a couple of times b/c I can't prove they belonged to USAA. From the web:

"Now, to be eligible, according to their website: Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. military. Officer candidates in commissioning programs (Academy, ROTC, OCS/OTS). Adult children whose eligible parents have or had a USAA auto or property insurance product."

USAA takes care of me......

if they told me to go jump off a cliff, I'd gladly do it....I think they are that good....very lucky my Dad was an officer in the military, as kids have been able to join USAA for years now (and ALL military can join now).....

USAA is tops. they've taken care of me for a long while. great folks

• 7 months later...
DOW almost 20k. Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen. Anyone care to prophesy what day we hit that psychological number?

Money is pouring into the US, and the bulls are running.

Merry Christmas indeed!

Anyone else getting a little nervous?

http://markets.money.cnn.com/services/api/chart/snapshot_chart_api.asp?symb=INDU

I have NEVER been remotely interested in the stock market and refused to allow someone else to invest my money for me. Yet I have been extremely fortunate when it comes to money matters. I started teaching in California in 1966 and retired in 2002. Teacher's pensions were always decent in California but in the 1990's then went from decent to over the top outstanding. When I retired I was fortunate enough to retire at 100% of my working net income. Every October 1st since then I have received a cost of living increase. I am certainly not rich but I live very comfortably, make several interesting trips each year and pursue my hiring hobby with gusto. Life is good.

Anyone else getting a little nervous?

Fall has historically been bad for stocks (anybody remember October, 1987?). Even though the fundamentals are good (low unemployment, strong consumer demand), I am expecting a pullback in the Fall. Now is the time to see if your portfolio needs a review and readjust risk. On the other hand, if you sell now, you might miss a huge uptick if (and that's a big if) the Congress cuts taxes. And, you can't make any money in bonds right now.

http://www.multpl.com/shiller-pe/

I posted this elsewhere.

Shiller PE is at 30.40. There are two historical precedents.

In 1929 it hit 30 in August, peaked at 32 in October, and the rest is history. Shiller himself pooh poohed the comparison late last year right after Trump won. He said "animal spirits" would drive the market higher in the short term.

The only other time we've reached this level is May 1997. The market kept going up for 3 more years.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

200.gif

See you on the other side,, boys.

Think that is my point.

Thanks, Einstein. ;)

As was noted earlier in the thread, some of us figured out a while ago that animal spirits usually make things go up - until they peak.

86e7560c84bc1f604267e88dad2f05c7.gif

The trick is to make sure you get enough. You always want to feel satisfied when it comes back down.

Edited by stevenkesslar

The trick is actually pulling the money out while you earn it to insure you dont lose it when the market tanks... I have been pulling money monthly, and the renovations

to my apt thank Trump.... New kitchen, new bath, and many other room facelifts. Although Trump probably really has nothing at all to do with the markets success, its the only thing I can give him Thanks for.

The trick is actually pulling the money out while you earn it to insure you dont lose it when the market tanks..

I'm actually shocked, Dame Kockwood.

I just didn't think you were the kind of lady who preferred to pull out early, before it was really finished.

But I applaud your pragmatism. It is less messy, after all.

I'm actually shocked, Dame Kockwood.

I just didn't think you were the kind of lady who preferred to pull out early, before it was really finished.

But I applaud your pragmatism. It is less messy, after all.

I have learned over the years NOT to be so greedy, and sometimes you need to take a "bird in the hand". So I pull out, take the money and run.... And actually now that I am retired, isnt that what you are supposed to do with an IRA anyway ? Kessy, if you need any lessons in money management please feel free to reach out and touch me....