"Manchester By the Sea"

beethoven
This topic is 2667 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I thought this movie was just wonderful! Casey Affleck's performance should win an Oscar, and all the other awards they give. Definitely one of the beset movies of the year.

Also, FWIW, I saw "Jackie" today, and was disappointed. What was this movie supposed to be about? I got nothing out of it, nor did I think that Natalie Portman's performance was particularly good.

But I'm writing to express my enthusiasm for "Mancheseter," not my disappointment in "Jackie."

I generally liked Manchester by the Sea and thought Casey Affleck did a splendid job. There were moments I thought could have been improved, though, so I'm not sure that I would say the film itself or its director deserves an award.

The HFPA disagrees. ;)

Curious as to what moments you feel could have been improved. In his You Can Count On Me commentary, Lonergan says he dislikes it when source music seems to be telling the audience how to feel. Ironically, there are what I feel are "on the nose" music choices in that film. I feel he does it again with the Albinoni "Adagio" in Manchester

(accompanying the house burning down).

That's one of my few negative critiques. (I also wish Michelle Williams' part had been larger.)

I don't remember which scene it was (it was one with a larger group of people), but one stood out to me because of some awkward acting. There were also a few moments that I felt were clumsy. One example: an aerial shot of a car driving, with a voice over of Patrick asking where they were going and Lee replying. There was no reason for that two-line interlude to exist; just show them at the next destination. My other issue was the scene where Lee told Patrick that he was moving and that the older couple (whose names I cannot recall) would be adopting Patrick. Apart from Native American Tribal Customary Adoptions, I don't think any Court in the US would finalize an adoption of a minor unless both parents were deceased or had relinquished their parental rights, and there was no indication that Patrick's mother had relinquished her parental rights. I know it's nitpicking, but anything that takes me out of the story bothers me when I'm watching a film in a theater.

My other issue was the scene where Lee told Ben that he was moving and that the older couple (whose names I cannot recall) would be adopting Ben. Apart from Native American Tribal Customary Adoptions, I don't think any Court in the US would finalize an adoption of a minor unless both parents were deceased or had relinquished their parental rights, and there was no indication that Ben's mother had relinquished her parental rights. I know it's nitpicking, but anything that takes me out of the story bothers me when I'm watching a film in a theater.
The kid's name was Patrick/Patty, but this bothered me a lot too, and to add on, a 16 year-old cannot be adopted without his assent. "Assent" is the actual term for the 16 year-old agreeing to be adopted, so it's not like it can just be announced to him. Overall I liked Manchester a lot even though I found it to be a sad film with very few lights at the end of the tunnel.

The kid's name was Patrick/Patty, but this bothered me a lot too, and to add on, a 16 year-old cannot be adopted without his assent. "Assent" is the actual term for the 16 year-old agreeing to be adopted, so it's not like it can just be announced to him. Overall I liked Manchester a lot even though I found it to be a sad film with very few lights at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks. Got the names mixed up. I will try to edit my post.

Your comments on minor things in Manchester By the Sea that could have been improved were addressed by Kenneth Lonergan on Charlie Rose last week. He said that there are things he'd have liked to fix, but there comes a point where you just have to let it go, and stop tinkering.

The New Yorker review mentioned Albinoni's Adagio, and said that it should be retired from movie sound tracks. He then mentioned two other movies where it had been used; typical New Yorker snarky comment. I'm sure he said that just to show us that he knows of two other movies in which it was used. I agree with BigRic: it was perfect!

• 4 weeks later...

Congrats to Casey on the Globe win. Nice little shout out to Denzel during his speech.

The New Yorker review mentioned Albinoni's Adagio, and said that it should be retired from movie sound tracks. He then mentioned two other movies where it had been used; typical New Yorker snarky comment. I'm sure he said that just to show us that he knows of two other movies in which it was used. I agree with BigRic: it was perfect!

Not to rain too heavily on our parade but, the phrase "on the nose" is typically used in a pejorative sense. In other words, my point in my earlier post is that I felt Lonergan was doing with the Albinoni precisely what he said in the YCCOM commentary he doesn't like: Seemingly pointing the audience in an emotional direction with a music choice.

Hate to disagree but I found the film an exercise in futility and despair. Afflec's performance was spot on and I think he deserved the Golden Globe. But - and this is a big but - what was the purpose of the film other than to be a downer? I find the present day world a total mess and would rather see movies that teach, show the way and expand the better instincts of our society.

I thought this movie was just wonderful! Casey Affleck's performance should win an Oscar, and all the other awards they give. Definitely one of the beset movies of the year.

Also, FWIW, I saw "Jackie" today, and was disappointed. What was this movie supposed to be about? I got nothing out of it, nor did I think that Natalie Portman's performance was particularly good.

But I'm writing to express my enthusiasm for "Mancheseter," not my disappointment in "Jackie."

Agree about Jackie, hated it, didn't see the point of it, from what perspective, and found her performance one note.......worst thing about it was that awful score with descending slide almost like a comic trombone effect in a cartoon, and it kept recurring.........

Archived