Moonlight

SizeQueen16
This topic is 2410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For anyone interested in watching a coming of age story featuring a gay protagonist, I would highly recommend this amazing film! It tackles quite a few themes that all gay men can probably relate to in one way or another. I think its only showing in a select few cities right now. Hopefully it will expand during awards season

http://dailytimes.com.pk/static/uploads/original/toronto-film-festival-2016-moonlight-is-a-masterpiece-4049413fc230cc80f7907517e48e3087.JPG

Trailer:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the most powerful film I've seen in years. I cannot shake it, nor do I want to.

Nuanced, layered - and endlessly universal, I cannot recommend it enough. To anyone who wants to feel connection through our mutual woundedness. Just... God!

It's as timeless as it is so, so timely.

I saw "Moonlight" yesterday (see above) in Chicago and can't get it out of my head. I'm Caucasian and over 60 and I still related to every moment of the movie. I actually cried when Little was bullied in school and then called a "faggot" by his mother. I ached for Chiron's experiences and was profoundly moved by Black's pain. It's a remarkable film that works on every level and I hope it gets the recognition, box office and awards it deserves.

I saw "Moonlight" yesterday (see above) in Chicago and can't get it out of my head. I'm Caucasian and over 60 and I still related to every moment of the movie. I actually cried when Little was bullied in school and then called a "faggot" by his mother. I ached for Chiron's experiences and was profoundly moved by Black's pain. It's a remarkable film that works on every level and I hope it gets the recognition, box office and awards it deserves.

This is definitely a movie that stays with you long after you see it. Parts of the movie have been playing over and over in mind since I watched Friday. I plan to go see it again tomorrow

moonlight.jpeg?w=301&h=202&crop=1

A24’s Moonlight continues to wow in its limited release and stands right outside the top 10 in its third weekend expansion from 36 locations to 83 with a FSS of $984K. Focus Features interracial love story about 1958 couple Richard and Mildred Loving, entitled Loving, from director Jeff Nichols has a decent per theater of $45K in four locations…but that’s not as strong as Moonlight‘s opening theater average of $100K. Sony Pictures Classics also launched its documentary The Eagle Huntress which is looking at a FSS theater average near $6K.

From Deadline report on weekend box office. Saw Loving yesterday and liked it very much as well.

moonlight.jpeg?w=301&h=202&crop=1

A24’s Moonlight continues to wow in its limited release and stands right outside the top 10 in its third weekend expansion from 36 locations to 83 with a FSS of $984K. Focus Features interracial love story about 1958 couple Richard and Mildred Loving, entitled Loving, from director Jeff Nichols has a decent per theater of $45K in four locations…but that’s not as strong as Moonlight‘s opening theater average of $100K. Sony Pictures Classics also launched its documentary The Eagle Huntress which is looking at a FSS theater average near $6K.

From Deadline report on weekend box office. Saw Loving yesterday and liked it very much as well.

I want to see Loving...I think both Loving and Moonlight have a good shot at Best Picture nominations for Oscars '17.

• 4 weeks later...

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/2016-spirit-awards-nominations-1201924188/

'Moonlight' was nominated for Best Feature, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Cinematography, Best Editing,

and the entire cast was given the Robert Altman Award for Ensemble Acting, the only award announced in advance.

Get thee to a cinema and support this fantastic independent film!

• 2 months later...

'Moonlight' has swept the Independent Spirit Awards: Best Feature, Director, Screenplay, Cinematography, Editing, in addition to the previously announced Robert Altman award for Best Ensemble Acting. Lets hope the Oscar voters prove to be as discerning tomorrow.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/2017-independent-spirit-awards-winners-list-1201786911/

I ran to see this when it opened here in early Nov because I assumed it would come and go without a lot of comment or notice. I've been pleasantly surprised that hasn't been the case, but I'm trying to keep my expectations low for tomorrow. I know people who saw the gold fronts in the trailer and dismissed it out of hand, their loss I suppose, but it says a lot how people can get trapped by preconceptions. I came directly home from the theater and preordered it on iTunes, so I just got to see it again, and listen to Barry Jenkins commentary. I did have to laugh when he said something like the after filming the first scene of Black where he didn't have a shirt on, he forbade Travante Rhodes from working out for the rest of the shoot. I certainly didn't mind the abs, but it struck me his whole presentation as an adult called to mind Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask.

Here is a link to the PBS NewsHour coverage from Nov.: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/1980s-miami-triple-crisis-growing-black-gay-poor/

I watched it on demand and it seemed to me it portrayed black people as violent, drug addicted or drug dealers. Not exactly the most positive image. Yes I'm sure truthful in certain respects but hardly uplifting. I actually went online to read the plot synopsis as I assumed I was missing something. I'm happy for the people involved who won recognition but can't really understand why it received all that praise. Still there were many powerful moments and the performances were very strong.

I watched it on demand and it seemed to me it portrayed black people as violent, drug addicted or drug dealers. Not exactly the most positive image. Yes I'm sure truthful in certain respects but hardly uplifting. I actually went online to read the plot synopsis as I assumed I was missing something. I'm happy for the people involved who won recognition but can't really understand why it received all that praise. Still there were many powerful moments and the performances were very strong.

Fine cinema very often deals with the harsh realities of life.

It won praise because it beautifully unique story about a coming of age black boy struggling with his sexuality in a very hostile environment. The characters protrayed do not represent all black people but of course some can relate. The characters have layers. The drug dealer, the drug addict etc are human beings with layers which is why both actors were nominated for their protrayals of these character types. This isnt a violence filled movie. There is a build up to a dramatic violent act but its not just random violence throughout the film like how you make it seem. To each its own. It resonated with the people that it needed to for purpose it was made. Like the poster above stated this film deals with the harsh realities of one person but is not a negative reflection of black people as a collective.

Archived