What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

Reluctant Daddy
This topic is 2752 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FREAKS is quite the curio considering the studio that made it: MGM. Then again, that studio was quite experimental when Irving Thalberg was supervising, especially during the pre-code era. They also produced the delightfully demented KONGO. Now THAT is a bonkers tale of terror! After Thalberg's death, L.B. Mayer really pushed the company into increasingly family friendly territory, so much so that Spencer Tracy was way too gentlemanly in his version of DR. JEKYLL & MR. HYDE.

I am a fan of the genre, I love too many too much. Just to add to the amazing ones shared above, I am crazy for John Carpenter's and Dario Argento's low budget movies.

Vampires and mesmerizers movies make me horny, and I do enjoy such role playings.

I thought of posting one of Trump's speeches, but I don't want to break the rules.

I rented "The Ring" DVD and watched it alone one night. Kinda scary, and after the film I'm checking out the DVD extras and find an easter egg of just the video that people were watching in the movie (and died a week later). Started watching it, and decided it was TOO scary at that point, and hit "Stop" - nothing happens. No other controls worked either. The damn easter egg was set up to disable all the controls so you HAD to watch it all the way through. I unplugged my TV and DVD player. :-?

As much as I admired his work, Vincent Price was always just a little too convincing. http://emojipedia-us.s3.amazonaws.com/cache/2c/12/2c12bfe26bdcecda11c7d056b91ab516.png

Ach! Where is my mind? The two Phibes films are up there in the stratosphere for me, in their extraordinary stylized way.

My first foray into horror films was "The Omen". I was quite young when my dad decided to show It to me on laser disc (I was maybe 9 or 10). I remember being quite traumatized but thrilled at the same time. There's actually a very personal connection to the film that makes it all the more "scary" for me which I won't divulge here :p

Fast forward a few years I really got into the genre and even did a comparative film project on different horror films during sophomore year in high school.

All time favorite is still the original "The Exorcist"... still scares the shit out of me esp when the girl's head does a 360 turn around!

'The Pit and the Pendulum' still scares the daylights out of me. Every scene, from the foreboding castle in the opening scene to the last striking image of Barbara Steele at the end, is the stuff of nightmares. 'Rosemary's Baby' has a hypnotic quality that fills you with intrigue as well as dread. A more recent movie, 'The Others' with Nicole Kidman has a number of jolting scenes--it's a very well-crafted ghost story.

Another film, which isn't really considered horror but I find haunting. compelling and creepy-as-hell: Peter Weir's strange and atmospheric 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'. It's the type of film that stays with you for days after watching it--the cinematography and plot reel you in with beauty, mystery and an unseen menace.

I absolutely love scary movies, some of my favorites are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7smh7YHKg

I remember reading once that a child saw the "Magic" trailer and would not stop screaming until his parents took him out of the movie Theater. I can relate. I was terrified that that trailer would come on when I was a kid parked in front of the TV at night.

I remember reading once that a child saw the "Magic" trailer and would not stop screaming until his parents took him out of the movie Theater. I can relate. I was terrified that that trailer would come on when I was a kid parked in front of the TV at night.

Man Anthony Hopkins, he's the man!

Funny when my parents took me and my brother to watch ET in the theaters, my brother screamed his lungs out and we had to leave in the middle...my brother was about 6 at the time. Guess ET can be considered a horror film...

Puppets and dolls scare the bejeezus out of me. There was a Night Gallery episode with a killer doll that still scares me to this day.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/night-gallery-doll.jpg

For mindfucking the audience's expectations shaped by conventions of the genre, of course nobody went farther out there than Stanley.

Some criticize the movie for draining the life out of the book's plot. But I think Kubrick went above and beyond the usual strategy of imparting terror, etc. through the narrative line. On top of that, he added twists that I think work more directly to create fright and anxiety in the viewer by violently breaching and disrupting storytelling norms for this (or really any) genre. Examples:

• Scatman Crothers gets a telepathic image of Danny Lloyd's vision of being in peril, then hurries to the rescue through a long sequence of going to the airport, taking a cross-country airline flight, driving a Snowcat up to the snowed-in resort, entering the building -- then, with no buildup or fight or anything, just suddenly being axed dead by Jack.
  • The troublingly ambiguous way the ghost bartender is introduced, and you are forced to see Jack's recurrent alcoholism from inside his own hallucinatory, magical-thinking viewpoint.
  • In the climax, instead of the family dynamic being restored by having Crothers survive and take Jack's place as father figure, Danny and Shelly Duvall go off together, alone, a subtly shocking Oedipal scene.
  • Etc.

...not to mention Shelley Duvall's whining Wendy, who convinced me that I was definitely gay, since I was ready for Jack to kill her as quickly as possible! Duvall was an excellent actor but in this role (perhaps because of Kubrick's instruction) I cringed whenever she had a scene in the latter part of the film! :eek:

TruHart1 :cool:

Archived