New case of man contracting HIV while on PrEP

loverboy95
This topic is 2757 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The FDA and Gilead have always made it clear that Prep is most effective when used with a condom. Every doctor prescribing the drug is required to reiterate this message. It becomes an individual choice whether to adhere to that recommendation or not.

Furthermore, a different drug called Maraviroc is currently in trials as an alternative to Truvada. It has fewer long term side effects and will likely be released in the market in 18 months.

To further make heads spin around here, Norway will proved Prep, free of charge, to at risk citizens via its National Health Service.

Glad you mentioned long term side effects of PrEP. That's an important factor too.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And if neither of you are on PrEP than you should wear 2 condoms, just in case one breaks! :rolleyes:

Little tangent: A guy I hooked up with on scruff put on two of my ridged condoms to try to better protect himself...I should have been more sensible and told him that double-bagging, particularly with those, is bad idea. Alas, no breakage, but it was definitely last time I didn't make sure the guy wasn't wrapped up properly.

I worked in a profession when at times one did double glove, something that would be analogous to wearing two condoms. I was not an MD or surgeon, but those who have their hands constantly in blood often do double glove and studies have shown it to be effective. One can never have enough protection!

Ironically years ago one now retired EOY asked me if I ever double gloved at work because he was thinking of doing the double condom thing. However, while double gloving is effective, double bagging with a condom is not as they were designed to be used singly and the friction between the two can actually cause more breakage.

If one is going to double up it would be PrEP and a condom.

One final thought... We all have a different perspective on risk. One makes their choices and then lives with those choices. Nothing in life is ever 100 percent perfect... NOTHING!

I remember back in the late 50's, Dentists wore no gloves or surgical masks.

~ Boomer ~

LOL! Yes! Those were the "wet fingered dentist days"! That was the term used for a dentist who practiced in the real word as opposed to a dentist who resided in academia.

It was not until the the 1980's that dentists really started to wear gloves on a regular basis! Of course that's when HIV became known and universal precautions were put into place. Better late than never!

I gave head to a guy without condom. He did not cum into my mouth. He jerked off and cummed on his chest. Didnt do anything other than head. If he is POZ, am I at risk?

The risk probability for HIV in this secenario seems quite low, but could be higher for other STIs. Best thing to do is get regularly tested regardless.

The risk probability for HIV in this secenario seems quite low, but could be higher for other STIs. Best thing to do is get regularly tested regardless.

Thx. My county health dept says check 6 months after possible exposure. I wanna check 3 months after exposure. Is the 3 month after test result reliable?

It's worth educating yourself on the relative risk levels and the options you have to mitigate risk. This can help you make choices about how you'll communicate regarding status and safety, and what choices you want to make.

That said, if you're concerned about exposure to HIV - DO NOT WAIT - go to your doctor and discuss PEP. "PEP" is post-exposure prophylaxis, which can help prevent HIV infection after exposure if taken within a certain, limited (I'm talking a few days) time. This doesn't mean you start running to the doctors every time you put your penis on someone's mouth. Educate yourself, communicate to your partners, stick by your choices, and go forth fucking, happy, and fucking happy.

I gave head to a guy without condom. He did not cum into my mouth. He jerked off and cummed on his chest. Didnt do anything other than head. If he is POZ, am I at risk?

If he were HIV positive, with a detectable viral load, your odds would be somewhere between 0% and 0.04% of contracting, in other words incredibly low. Couple that with the fact he didn't cum in your mouth you probably don't need to worry. Just get fully tested every 3 months. HIV will show up in the RNA/plasma test within 1-2 months.

If he were HIV positive, with a detectable viral load, your odds would be somewhere between 0% and 0.04% of contracting, in other words incredibly low. Couple that with the fact he didn't cum in your mouth you probably don't need to worry. Just get fully tested every 3 months. HIV will show up in the RNA/plasma test within 1-2 months.

I also read that oral only is very low risk. But can't help worrying. Thx Lance.

It's not common...but quoting such very low statistics can give people a false sense of reality. The most common transmission orally is a combination of having brushed your teeth before sex and caused a situation where there is an exposed bleeding gum, then a HIV positive top who pre-cums a lot...and transmits HIV through the blood at the gum. Not common...but not impossible. It's been documented enough where people have transmitted HIV with out engaging in anal sex, that it's something to consider. With no pathway to open tissue or bleeding gums, saliva destroys the virus on contact...so under normal situations it's like 0%...under the situation I described much higher. So use mouthwash or brush way ahead of a hook up !

It's not common...but quoting such very low statistics can give people a false sense of reality. The most common transmission orally is a combination of having brushed your teeth before sex and caused a situation where there is an exposed bleeding gum, then a HIV positive top who pre-cums a lot...and transmits HIV through the blood at the gum. Not common...but not impossible. It's been documented enough where people have transmitted HIV with out engaging in anal sex, that it's something to consider. With no pathway to open tissue or bleeding gums, saliva destroys the virus on contact...so under normal situations it's like 0%...under the situation I described much higher. So use mouthwash or brush way ahead of a hook up !

Thanks. As I was wondering about saliva effect on hiv virus, happy that you mentioned it. So, is there research that has confirmed that saliva does serve as a barrier? Also, I just read that mouthwash does not kill hiv virus.

Thanks. As I was wondering about saliva effect on hiv virus, happy that you mentioned it. So, is there research that has confirmed that saliva does serve as a barrier? Also, I just read that mouthwash does not kill hiv virus.

Saliva and stomach acid are not environments that HIV virus can survive for long. HOWEVER, it's important to note that any direct contact with your blood stream is a clear pathway for HIV. Something as simple as brushing your teeth can leave exposed gum tissue with a pathway for the virus. Open sores like cold sores or other infections of the esophagus are open pathways. Even a small paper cut that hasn't healed is a pathway for any virus, including HIV. Your body does a pretty good job protecting you from viruses...but it's important to be fully educated on HIV. Who would think that brushing your teeth right before sex puts you at a far higher risk of infection !

It's not common...but quoting such very low statistics can give people a false sense of reality.

How? The numbers are an unvarnished reflection of reality. In fact, while it is true that HIV can be transmitted orally, it is extremely rare. There have been only a few documented cases. And casual observation tells you that the numbers must be right, or close to it - if it were easy to become infected with HIV via the oral route, nearly all of us would be poz.

How? The numbers are an unvarnished reflection of reality. In fact, while it is true that HIV can be transmitted orally, it is extremely rare. There have been only a few documented cases. And casual observation tells you that the numbers must be right, or close to it - if it were easy to become infected with HIV via the oral route, nearly all of us would be poz.

giphy.gif

I SPECIFICALLY STATED: Your body does a pretty good job of protecting you from viruses. Never said it was common. I said it was possible. RUSSIAN ROULETTE

I SPECIFICALLY STATED: Your body does a pretty good job of protecting you from viruses. Never said it was common. I said it was possible. RUSSIAN ROULETTE

But you also said "quoting such very low statistics can give people a false sense of reality," when the statistics ARE the reality.

But you also said "quoting such very low statistics can give people a false sense of reality," when the statistics ARE the reality.

Exactly, science trumps fear. I was stating a small statistic because the odds are in fact very small, I don't think that creates a false sense of security, it's just the truth.

You're seriously oversimplifying things. First off, syphilis can be spread by simple skin contact. Do you propose gloves or a full body condom? Second, though it's already been stated plenty of times, condomless oral sex is as much, if not more responsible for minor STI infections, and most agree the risk isn't worth sucking a condom.

Perhaps the rise in STI's is simply attributed to the fact people are having more sex. That to me is a VERY GOOD THING! Let's stop the shaming and over-simplified solutions.

Archived