New case of man contracting HIV while on PrEP

loverboy95
This topic is 2757 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Statistics are NOT "reality" when you use statistics from something other than what you're talking about. It creates a false reality.

Ok, then. Using your definition of reality, statistics about the incidence of oral transmission of HIV are descriptions of the reality of the oral transmission of HIV.

I am discussing the risk factor under certain circumstances. You are not. Two different conversations....and clearly you want to avoid looking at what I am saying.

I'm glad you finally clarified. I agree that statistics regarding the overall incidence of oral HIV transmission may not fully reflect the risk calculus in specific situations. Nonetheless, nobody has perfect dental health - at any given time, a certain percentage of the population will have engaged in oral sex after having flossed, or having gingivitis or fresh dental work. Even in the face of that, there is no more than a handful of documented cases of HIV transmission via the oral route.

I'm glad you finally clarified. I agree that statistics regarding the overall incidence of oral HIV transmission may not fully reflect the risk calculus in specific situations. Nonetheless, nobody has perfect dental health - at any given time, a certain percentage of the population will have engaged in oral sex after having flossed, or having gingivitis or fresh dental work. Even in the face of that, there is no more than a handful of documented cases of HIV transmission via the oral route.

The data simply aren't granular enough to say anything definitive about specific events. There may even be a possibility, hiding in the data, that there is a certain "perfect storm" of circumstances in which transmission is virtually certain to occur, but the extremely low incidence of cases of transmission by the oral route indicates that that "perfect storm" is an extremely rare occurrence.

Assuming a gun with six bullets, the odds of a single player taking a bullet in a single round of Russian Roulette are 1:6. In a single incidence of unprotected oral sex involving an HIV negative receptive partner, the odds of infection are vanishingly low. So, no, it isn't accurate to compare the risk to Russian Roulette.

Archived