Hunks with Pussies

Truereview
This topic is 2244 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Forum! Thank you for the feedback. I will continue posting these fun pics! I hope you enjoy! Next month is national pet adoption month. A big passion of mine is animal rescue. My dogs, cat, and even fish are rescues. I think we as Americans have a love affair with dogs, and rightfully so, cuz they are so awesome! I just wanted to take a little detour to focus on kitties! :) Also allow me to just do a quick plug for some animal shelter stats.

From the ASPCA some facts about U.S. Animal Shelters:

Currently, no government institution or animal organization is responsible for tabulating national statistics for the animal protection movement. These are national estimates; the figures may vary from state to state.

• Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
  • Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
  • Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).
  • About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.
  • Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
  • Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.

If you are in a position to rescue a dog, cat, or any other animal, please consider it - you don't have to wait for November! If you are not in a position to adopt, but you have the means, consider making a donation. If not, consider volunteering your time. If none of the above appeal to you, just being aware of the numbers is good. Thanks for reading!

Spay and neuter your pets. Chip your pets. Adopt from shelters and demand strict laws overseeing Pet Shops and Breeders.

This is a problem with a solution, if we make it a higher priority.

A bit of irony here, while I was typing my message, one of my dogs jumped a 6 foot fence and led me on a 30 minute chase through the rain and into a wooded area where I was ankle deep in mud. So add, to Spay Neuter and Chip, get a dog that comes when you call and doesn't just ignore you despite the training she has had. Damned dog. No treats for her except for a day out of the rain. She did get toweled off and a nice fresh bed though. I am mad, not ungracious.

Edited by purplekow

A bit of irony here, while I was typing my message, one of my dogs jumped a 6 foot fence and led me on a 30 minute chase through the rain and into a wooded area where I was ankle deep in mud. So add, to Spay Neuter Chip and get a dog that comes when you call and doesnt just ignore you despite the training she has had. Damned dog. No treats for her except for a day out of the rain.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/cats/laughing-happy-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Another good

reason to adopt

a cat. ;)

This would be my cat as I chase my dogs under the rain or snow...

Of course, he would have chosen my side of the bed.

http://dailykitten.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bambi-2.jpg

A tweet from this morning: Woke up at 6:30 am after 8+ hours of sleep (very unusual for me) to a cat meowing in my ear. Literally, as in "the cat is on the bed."