First Album Meme

quoththeraven
This topic is 2863 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take exception to your word 'just.' :D

(It is possible to show off while telling ze truth. :cool: )

I believe you! How old were you when you purchased this?

(I am a Van Cliburn fan too, although his competition win took place earlier. The first album of piano music I remember hearing, although not purchasing, was Glenn Gould playing Bach.)

I believe you! How old were you when you purchased this?

(I am a Van Cliburn fan too, although his competition win took place earlier. The first album of piano music I remember hearing, although not purchasing, was Glenn Gould playing Bach.)

I was 11 or 12.

Took me much longer to find the divine Gould!

I was 11 or 12.

Took me much longer to find the divine Gould!

You were a precocious tween. It took awhile for me to buy clasical albums. Then again, we had copies of Handel's Messiah, the Philadelphia Orchestra playing Tschaikowsky's Swan Lake Sleeping Beauty and Nutcracker Suites, and the 1812 Overture that my parents bought, so why should I?

Haven't been a huge music fan in terms of buying albums (or CDs now). 45's (that should age me) were what we all bought when I was young. But, if I have to say album, I think it was the Bee Gees (can't remember which album). It was early to mid 70's, long, long before the whole Saturday Night Fever thing.

41W1112XJAL.jpg

I bought other albums with money from cutting grass and such, but this was my first album with a real union part-time job in 1960. Yes, Lucy did one Broadway show, a musical no less!

"Wildcat" was her first major project after "I Love Lucy."

What's the first album you bought with your own money?

I'm not sure, but either ...And Along Comes the Association or Rubber Soul. Working off of dates, not memory.

"Switched On Bach", I think. I told my piano teacher about it and she was very excited, wanted to borrow it. When she returned it, she said she thought it was interesting but that synthesizers would never replace acoustic instruments.

I first heard it on this album and to this day, the sinfonia to the Ratswahl Cantata is one of my absolute favorite pieces of music.

This is my favorite youTube video of the piece.

Brilliant thread @quoththeraven...

My first, and I still get chills listening to In-A-gadda-da-vida.

At first I thought Sgt. Pepper might be my first, but then I realized I owned Rubber Soul, which I didn't buy until Revolver was already out. I either bought Rubber Soul and ...Along Comes the Association in the second half of 1966 or early in 1967.

Other early albums I bought: Up, Up and Away, The Fifth Dimension, There Are But Four Small Faces, Small Faces, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles, Surrealistic Pillow, Jefferson Airplane, The Doors and Strange Days, The Doors (I bought the second album first), Steppenwolf, Steppenwolf, Their Satanic Majesties' Request (yes, my first Rolling Stones album).

In my case, these were albums bought by me with my allowance, not with money I earned from working. That didn't happen until I graduated from high school, and I have no idea what album I bought first then. It might even be an eight-track (shudder).

I'm pretty sure I owned Switched-On Bach at some point, although I didn't listen to it as much as some of the other albums I owned. Later I got to see Gary Burton do a vibraphone, Moog and Mellotron demo at State University College of New York at Potsdam.

Did you go to college at SUNY Potsdam? That was really an isolated place, up there in the North Country.

No, I was in high school then, but I was in a school choir that toured every year during one of our weeks of vacation. We went to Potsdam that year and stayed with families of students in the Potsdam school district. The morning after the vibraphone demo, which all of us attended, we were snowed in. I wound up playing cards and watching TV all day. I'm pretty sure it didn't interfere with our local concert, although I have no memory of it.

FWIW, just about all of my music teachers graduated from the Crane School of Music at Potsdam, although State University of New York College at Purchase (opened more recently) probably has the edge in terms of performance. I don't think Purchase offers teaching degrees.

No, I was in high school then, but I was in a school choir that toured every year during one of our weeks of vacation. We went to Potsdam that year and stayed with families of students in the Potsdam school district. The morning after the vibraphone demo, which all of us attended, we were snowed in. I wound up playing cards and watching TV all day. I'm pretty sure it didn't interfere with our local concert, although I have no memory of it.

FWIW, just about all of my music teachers graduated from the Crane School of Music at Potsdam, although State University of New York College at Purchase (opened more recently) probably has the edge in terms of performance. I don't think Purchase offers teaching degrees.

An old friend graduated from SUNY Potsdam. He started out as an art teacher and then became a retail display queen.

Meet the Beatles was my first, I was 13. I adored every Beatles Album (and still have most of them. My favorite is Rubber Soul. Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, and The White Album are also ingrained in my memory. Eleanor Rigby is one of the most perfect songs ever, IMHO. Here is a performance of Eleanor Rigby as we heard it back in the day. To my ear the "remastered" versions all sound wrong.

Archived