Apricot Chicken Revisited!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2882 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Now, I'm hoping to convince everyone to try my breaded and roasted Brussel Sprouts. Or braised brussel sprouts and dried cranberries in Balsamic reduction.... Side dishes for me are the crowning Glory of a meal, and Brussel sprouts get a bad rap.... But I do also LOVE my stuffing pie.....

Brussels sprouts are one of THE best veggies! And so few people love 'em. :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Battle of the biscuits!

In this corner, the heavy weight, watch your receipt, Beyoncé champion...

http://melissabianco.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/red-lobster-ccbiscuits.jpg

Vs

In this corner, the feather-weight, anti-gay highway heart-attack inducing Cracker Barrell

http://media1.fdncms.com/arktimes/imager/u/blog/4352074/cracker_barrel_biscuit_plate_by_kat_robison.jpg?cb=1459528130

WWOD ????

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/oprah-won-t-accept-it.gif http://p.fod4.com/p/media/a5055cab32/5eUN8izaRwI2d0VW0KbW_giphy.gif

Sounds delicious!

and so easy to make.... cut sprouts in half, sautee minced garlic in oil and brown sprouts.... Throw in dried cranberries, brown a few more minutes... Douse with a good quality Balsamic to taste and simmer until the acidic smell dies down... Empty onto plate.... Serve.

I don't know about biscuits in a bag. Can you upload a picture or a website where I can see the brand?

Gman

I know you directed this to @rvwnsd, but I thought I would chime in with my favorite brand. About $3 a pack.

http://www.onlinecouponsavings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/frozen_grands_biscuits.jpg

I know you directed this to @rvwnsd, but I thought I would chime in with my favorite brand. About $3 a pack.

http://www.onlinecouponsavings.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/frozen_grands_biscuits.jpg

Them is the ones!

@Gar1eth , I was going to snap a picture of the bag that is in my freezer, but it was late and I was tired.

@Truereview , thank you for the visual aid.

@Gar1eth ...I'm trying to understand the Apricot part of the chicken. Did you use real apricots or some sort of apricot jelly or marmalade with the chicken? I use fresh pineapple chunks when I bake my salmon, but I've used pineapple jelly to flavor it in the off season.

Oh the memories my mom loved making apricot chicken!!! One of my favorites

I forget how to make it :(

Let not your memories be troubled @alexslaveboy. The only thing my recipe is missing is your (and mine) mothers' love.

I included the recipe in my other thread. But here it is again---- the recipe calls for thighs. But you can use any part. I actually prefer breasts.

Here's a picture of my 1st batch last week.

File%20Jun%2027%2C%204%2056%2025%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Here's the recipe.

Ingredients

• 12 chicken thighs
  • 1 cup apricot preserves

• 1 cup French dressing
  • 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl combine the jam, dressing and soup mix. Mix together.
  3. Place chicken pieces in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour apricot mixture over chicken and bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes.

The sauce is incredible over mashed potatoes or noodles.

PS-I'll bet it would be good with some fresh or canned apricots added to the mix. I'm not sure how it would be if you substituted the apricot syrup from the can of apricots for the preserves/jelly. It might not be thick enough.

Gman

I pretty much think we've EXHAUSTED the apricot chicken ? Let's move on to Another dish !

I'm fresh out of ideas currently. :( Unless something fabulous occurs to me, someone else will have to carry the football for a while.

Gman

@Gar1eth @Truereview

Thank you both very much

I am/was a mama's boy

An Italian boy and his mom....unbreakable bond

Thank you for the recipe and yes breasts are what we always had! I will make it this weekend for me and my 85 year old dad and we'll raise a glass to mom :)

If this was your Mother's recipe, I'm so glad I posted it. I hope you and your Dad have a wonderful dinner. May your Mother's memory always be a blessing to those who loved her.

Gman

I'm fresh out of ideas currently.

Brilliant, actually!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yOz_DrMtQTA/Tuk8UwFSjPI/AAAAAAAAB-I/hYsJrReTrus/s1600/Zante+Currants.jpg

These work well swapped in to many apricot and/or prune savory recipes, like chicken Marbella.

I included the recipe in my other thread. But here it is again---- the recipe calls for thighs. But you can use any part. I actually prefer breasts.

Here's a picture of my 1st batch last week.

They look scrumptious. I'm so bad...when I read "chicken thighs" among the ingredients, my mind wondered to Nick Jonas. :p

Brilliant, actually!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-yOz_DrMtQTA/Tuk8UwFSjPI/AAAAAAAAB-I/hYsJrReTrus/s1600/Zante+Currants.jpg

These work well swapped in to many apricot and/or prune savory recipes, like chicken Marbella.

Adam, I actually use these in my sweet & sour pot roast....

Meh, jelly or jam doesn't need to be refrigerated. Sugar is a preservative, so they don't go off, but some mould may grow on them (that will take some time). Refrigerating them slows that down, hence the instructions to do so. I would just spoon that off (and some of the jelly underneath it) and use them anyway. As for the little packets, they are sealed so no air gets at the jelly, so they're fine.

Americans tend to refrigerate EVERYTHING.

Jam/jelly is mostly sugar, as you point out, which is a preservative. But if it's store-bought it will have chemical preservatives added. Homemade may spoil quicker, but overnight won't be a problem.

It has always sort of amused me how fanatical people are about refrigerating mustards, which are about as acidic (and impervious to spoilage) as a product can get.

Remember that many products have a "use by" date only because the FDA requires them on all ingestables. Even bottled water has a "use by" date. Water does not spoil! o_O

Jam/jelly is mostly sugar, as you point out, which is a preservative. But if it's store-bought it will have chemical preservatives added. Homemade may spoil quicker, but overnight won't be a problem.

It has always sort of amused me how fanatical people are about refrigerating mustards, which are about as acidic (and impervious to spoilage) as a product can get.

Remember that many products have a "use by" date only because the FDA requires them on all ingestables. Even bottled water has a "use by" date. Water does not spoil! o_O

It's interesting-a local diner I go to uses Hellman's Mayo (actually it's Best Foods Mayo since we are on the West Coast). They bring out squeezable bottles of the mayo with their sandwiches. Their bottles distinctly say that they are Food Service-and they don't need refrigeration. The jars I buy at the grocery specify that it needs refrigeration after opening. I've also seen some studies where people claiming mayonnaise is too acidic for bacterial growth have been proven wrong. So I don't know if it's really good that the diner's mayo is often unrefrigerated. But while it's supposed to be the same stuff I buy at the grocery, I detect a difference in taste. I wonder if that's because of the lack of refrigeration or whether there actually is a difference in the composition.

Gman

I had a friend who was shocked I didn't refrigerate vinegar!! Lol

Archived