Real Time w/ Bill Maher...

Flower
This topic is 4658 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest Tristan

>Maher has always rocked!

>Where else can you find comments on a talk show like Richard

>Belzer made on RealTime:

Glutes, just as an amusing aside. Richard Belzer sat right behind me in Hebrew School when I was a kid. He was already funny back then, though the teacher didn't appreciate it. :) I guess you could call him the class clown. Nobody would have ever thought he would become a well known comedian, and star in a TV drama.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone a watcher of this Showtime-based weekly roundtable?

I discovered that my On-Demand Digital Cable carried an archive of this show, so i've been spending considerable time playing catchup on past episodes.

What can i say? I'm hooked on it, as Maher is engaging to not only the politicized viewer, but also to those who lean towards a pop-culture-only side as well. His show gives the viewer an interesting look inside various political minds, as well as giving equal time to musicians, comedians, actors, etc.

Interesting case-in-point: A couple of weeks ago, Maher had Jesse Jackson sit in on the discussion and it was truly amazing to see how much Jackson had matured from the time i knew of him as a politician when living in Chicago. He was, of course, well-spoken and informed, but moreso he listened to what others were saying and responded without his usual theatrics we've all come to know and love. Am i a Jesse fan now? Perhaps, but more importantly, he proved that he could hold an audience's attention without resorting to yelling & screaming. He was focused.

As for Maher, i've always been a fan of his: From his early standup days to his network debut with 'Politically Incorrect.' He's also been a pretty hard-assed crusader when it comes to his pro-feelings for gay rights. Add a dash of sarcastic wit and IMO, you've got a fall-down funny show with a much more powerful message: Big Brother is watching & getting more agressive in power, but there will always be people around who don't quite fit into the mold.

Anyone else on the MC watch the show or simply fans of Bill Maher? Just curious.

Warmest Always,

Benjamin Nicholas

The first time I saw Bill Maher was in 1991 at the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles. Lily Tomlin was the guest host for the evening. Mr Maher was doing a fairly stand-up comedy routine. What was worse for him is that he preceeded by Jim Carey. Now the irony is that Carey was part of the ensemble cast of " In Living Color " which at the time aired on Fox TV. In essence he had a bit of fame at the time and off course he was the reason why myself and a couple of other friends were at the Laugh Factory in the first place. Carey was alright with his routine, unfortunately Bill Maher really did a horrible job in his comedy routine. I thought this guy is really going nowhere. What struck me the most about Maher's was his suit. I never had seen a stand-up comedian wear a suit before. His sense of clothing reminded me of Johnny Carson. Mr Carson often wore those tan and light blue suits on the old " Tonight Show ". The way I felt is that Maher had the same style in clothing. Anyways, we got his autograph as well as Ms Tomlin and Mr Carey and that was that.

About a year later I was in college and we had just gotten cable tv in out apartment and one night by chance. We were trying to figure how the system works and we came across Comedy Central and there was Bill Maher providing his opinion on the upcoming election of that year. I remembered him alright, I could not believe that this guy had his own show on Cable. I watched and listened to him very carefully. I began to realise that this little man has something to say. I watched his show the next night and the night after that until it became a routine on my part to be an avid watcher. Arrianna Huffington who has always been a staple primary guest for all these years was present on his show from the very beginning. I think they seem to compliment eachother very well. The more I watched, the more I became a fan of his work. For me it was a bit weird, from not terrbily liking him much to eventually having absolute respect for this figure.

It's sort of funny, when I think about all the comedians who have had an impact on Late Night TV or as BN put it, the pop culture in general within the last ten years or so. The only two people that stand out the most are Arsenio Hall and Bill Maher, more than say Jay Leno or David Letterman. So I've really spent a good part of my adult life watching him grow and fine tune his style and approach to political television. The leap from Cable to Network Television and now back to Cable TV has been quite amazing.

I think Bill Maher has a great mind on matters. He's a liberal in tone and he makes no bones about that. During his years on Politically Incorrect, he took time to bash both liberal and conservative politicians. He's always been this sort of rebel. He never goes with the flow. I think this is probably his great strength that has made him a staple on television. This is a guy who took a licking by Disney ABC for his comments following 9/11. The conservatives absolutely crucified him and the network ultimately dropped him from their late night line-up. I'm sure Ted Koppel must have been very happy. Afterall I seem to recall his open public objection in 1994 to the very notion of a show like what Maher's has been doing to having the opportunity of following Nightline. I suppose Mr Koppel wanted to protect the good name of Nightline, thinking that Political Incorrect would hurt his raings as follow in to Nightline. I'm sure he's enjoying Jimmy Kimmell nowadays. At the end of the day Bill Maher has had the laugh by having his presence back on a weekly basis on HBO.

Not too long ago, Bill Maher did an interviw with a show called " Real Orange" . It's a local show on PBS in So Cal. I was a bit caught off guard. He was asked about some of his influences in the early days of Politically Incorrect. To my great suprise he mentioned a veteran newscaster by the name of David Dimbelby of BBC bews. What fascinated me by Bill's remarks is that Mr Dimbelby is one of the most respected journalists in Europe. Dimbelby interviewed Former President Bill Clinton for a programme called Panorama in early June I think. That was the time when Mr Clinton was promoting his autobiography. Mr Dimbelby asked aome pretty tough questions. Mr Maher's was able to recite parts of the interview and he mentioned that guys like Dimbebly are part of the reason why he contuinues to have an interest in politics and finding a continuing avenue on television.

I hope Mr Maher's carries on for another twenty years doing what he does best which is be the rebel that challenges the status quo called late night television. Now twelve years later, I'm still an avid watcher. Although like BN, I too have Digital Demand and watch Reel Time from the archives. Bill Maher is truly one of the best out there today and I hope he never tires from the medium that has made him successful.

Rohale

You are such a beautiful man, inside and outside. Thanks for not taking offense, as none was ever intended on my part. :) I always look forward to reading your posts, as you have such a refreshing attitude about everything! Hope you visit DC again, sometime soon. :-)

"I'm one of the most intelligent people here"

And your facts for stating this, are what? This statement, alone, epitomizes your self-centered ego, an ego, that leads you to dismiss other posters here, as your intellectual inferiors. LMFAO! :7

I am willing to engage myself against you, any day, any time, in any kind of intelligence measuring test.

I'd also wager big bucks, that most, if not all, of the posters on this site, would measure up to your intelligence level. :-(

Bill Maher

The problem with Bill Maher is that he can often let some people just walk all over him and other people just get the short shift. A good example: Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. appeared to discuss his new book Crimes Against Nature and, more particularly the current enviromental situation, especially the problems caused by the administration and party in power. When Kennedy appeared on Dennis Miller (clearly no fan of Kerry and a supporter of the status quo), he was allowed to finish his points, make his comments and Miller treated him like a host should treat a guest. On Real Time, Maher cut him off and clearly wanted to talk about sexier things, like Arnold and how the Kennedy's felt about him. He sometimes has a number of guests on his round table with nothing to say, like Kevin Costner, and he allows one person, usually whomever the loud mouth is, to dominate.

I think he is a very intelligent and often insightfull comic. Yes, he can be very good on Larry King; it is obvious he has given a lot of thought to his opinions and comments, which is better than obvious, cheap laughs as Jay Leno might pull off. His "new rules" segment on his cable show is great. But I think Mr. Simpson has a valid point: Maher will make fun OF gays while being in favor of gay rights, in the same way that some people say the right things while they also seem unable to realize how some of what they say (and do) can cause harm. Simpson's point about the religious voter has some validity: to the extent that you call them and treat them as idiots or extremist, you will harden all such voters, including those who might be changed or convinced to your point of view.

Finally, I think Maher is far funnier than say Dennis Miller, but I still want to see Jon Stewart get an extra half hour on the Daily Show[i/].

http://www.gaydar.co.uk/francodisantis

I agree! Bill got what he deserved. He tends to bait his guests, and this time, the guest bit back.

He tends to want to shove his atheism/agnosticism down people's throats, but that soon passes.

And I feel that Vincent Michael wasn't out of line in his comments.

He wasn't comparing Maher to Rush. He was pointing out that people who command a pulpit of either side, and want to shove it, and it alone down the throats of others, aren't always right. The printed word tends to be very temperate.

Because VM takes an opposite stance, to me, is a refreshing thing.

Bill always has a good show, but he does tend to go overboard sometimes.

>Thanks I went fly fishing today and I cought five fish!!! I

>feel so cool now!! Now on to a relaxing nite of R&R

WOW "FIVE FISH" :9 I heard that they were minnows, so I guess you want a medal or something now :p Enjoy your R&R time, I'll catch up with you later "FISH BOY" :*

When in doubt I whip it out :+

>In other TV-watching news, anyone catch 'Nip/Tuck?'

>

>I just bought the first season on DVD. I'm hooked!

If you really want to get hooked, get Saved By the Bell, Seasons One and Two. Disc 5 has the infamous "Jessie's Song" episode where Elizabeth Berkley freaks out on No-Doze and sings "I'm so excited...I'm so excited...I'm so...scared!!!" :7

As for Bill Maher, I think he's smart, funny, etc., but I really hated when he said, on Larry King last year before the primaries, that Kerry should be the nominee merely because he served in the military. A lot of good that did. :o

>I'd also wager big bucks, that most, if not all, of the

>posters on this site, would measure up to your intelligence

>level. :-(

True, I fully agree, but the fact that you didn't pick this up as a joke, certainly excludes you from that list.:+

Obviously, you're frustrated to parrot your idol, Woodbrain--Your statement is not only inaccurate, but it has nothing to do with this dialog even if it were accurate In fact your response is stupid whether, you were trying to debate a point or defend yourself--just flailing out in frustration without purpose. Don't be so defensive big guy---I just said your statement was RUDE--and it was--me calling you on it obviously embarrassed you--tough--get over it.

BUT never did I lecture you on morals. So take some deep breaths; go back on your medicine and chill.

First of all I thank Benjamin for beginning this thread, for Bill Maher is definitely one of my favorite talk show hosts, if not my most favorite. He's astute, quite intelligent, and indeed rational.

Each week when his show "Real Time" has aired on HBO, I've made a concerted effort to watch him. Presently he's off the air until January when his show resumes; I can't wait.

If you failed to view his last show of this particular season which aired a few days after that election of which I'd like to smother, I'd like to suggest that you see it. Bill became rattled on two or three occasions but managed to rebound!

PS I responded the other day, but apparently failed to post the proper button; if a response from me is here, please forgive me!

RE: By The By

I knew someone would eventually catch my Showtime/HBO foul-up... Thanks Franco for setting the record straight ;)

I'm just psyched that the subject turned into such a decent thread. Definitely cool. Whether you love him or hate him, Maher elicits honest reactions from people. It's always something i've admired about him: He doesn't care whether people are taking positively or negatively about him, just that they're still talking.

Methinks he may have an advertising major in him somewhere. *grin*

Warmest Always,

Benjamin Nicholas

Victory Begins At Home

This HBO stand-up special starring Maher is an excellent example of where he does a good job: intelligent, funny and insightfull. While I do not agree with everything he says and some of it is clearly simplified, I think it shows what he is capable of in a scripted environment, rather than an on-the-cuff situation, like Real Time.

Repeats of this performance at the Hudson Theater in New York will be broadcast on several of the HBO channels again in late November and once in mid-December, for those who have all HBO channels. You can look it up on their schedule bot.

• 6 years later...

Archived