How many of you have been to Australia?

topinla
This topic is 2885 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've not been yet...but a few years ago I met 2 different Australians living in Denver, and they both were nice and charming. I've been considering Australia for years. A friend in Europe told me about a trip to Brisbane, and I've been sold every since. A client of mine also goes regularly. I hear the flight is long. But next time you or anyone else goes...take me with.

But I've heard Queensland is somewhat gay unfriendly. Can anyone elaborate?

15751919337_353ded14b3_o.jpg

Also, all those that are seen around L.A. and Orange County are Alexander King Palms native to Australia:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xjJ2WF9AOFw/UTRtABHEHMI/AAAAAAAAATY/DS_XW39EvbM/s1600/king+palm.jpg

I have made the journey three times, and I loved every one of them. For me, the highlights were taking the Indian Pacific train from Sydney to Perth, once in each direction, and the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs; a private wineries tour in the Hunter Valley; Uluru; the rain forest in northern Queensland; and attending the Australian Open tennis tournament in Melbourne, my favorite city in the southern hemisphere.

Contact @mike carey . He is the coolest Australian and can give you priceless tips.

Thanks Latbear, but not so cool, I suspect! @topinla is already in Sydney and said he has managed to explore the city over the weekend. I was planning to go there on Sunday for a football game but the weather looked dismal. No two people have the same idea about what to do in a city, some of my suggestions for Sydney, in no particular order would include:

• The Opera House and walking in the Royal Botanical Gardens next to it.
  • Theatre.

• Ferry rides, to Manly (and walk along the beach there), Watsons Bay (and have seafood at Doyles at the pub there).
  • Gay bars on Oxford Street on Friday or Saturday night.
  • Bondi Beach and the coast walks to Bronte and Coogee.
  • Climb the Harbour Bridge.
  • If you have a full day, a trip to Kiama or the Blue Mountains

I spent 3 weeks in Sydney in February 2015 and did all of the above except I chickened out on the Harbour Bridge. It takes I think 3 hours and I knew I'd have to pee (out of fear) after the first 15 minutes. You can walk the lower potion and still get a pretty good view if you're a coward like me. Sydney is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Beautiful friendly people. Melbourne is great also. I had a month in New Zealand and 5 weeks in Australia. Loved it all.

Lol, I wouldn't do the bridge climb either. When I worked in Sydney they (Defence) arranged to abseil from one of the pylons. Didn't do that either. I had abseiled into the dry dock at the Navy base (it was empty at the time), that was enough for me. The pedestrian walkway across the bridge is on the city/Opera House side, so the view is great. The other side of the bridge (next to the railway tracks) is a cycle way, and they enforce it (i.e. they stop pedestrians from using it).

I was fortunate and blessed to have lived in Melbourne, Australia for two years. ...loved, loved, loved my experiences and the people and friendships developed during that time.

Unfortunately, I failed to keep in touch with my colleagues with whom I worked but did manage to keep two men [now partners] in tow and communicate during the holiday season.

...have yet to return to see all of the changes made over a 30 yr. period.

Yes, yes, I've been there and loved it, especially Sydney!

I was in Australia in the 1990s and loved it!

Sidney was great. Scenic, great walking city. I saw an opera at the Opera House. Met a very passionate str8/bi guy and had sex with him every afternoon, until his wife reigned him in.

There is an excellent Zoo right outside Sydney. You can chase Kangeroos and hold a Koala (at least 20 years ago).

I also went to Canberra--lovely drive through the mountains, and there is an excellent War Museum there.

I also went to Canberra--lovely drive through the mountains, and there is an excellent War Museum there.

I didn't mention Canberra because the discussion was about Sydney. I live there and think it is the most beautiful city in the world. I am biased. It has mountains, [artificial] lakes and parks, and national museums and buildings. The Australian War Memorial is an amazing institution, easy to spend an entire day there. Every afternoon at about 5pm there is a ceremonial recognition of one of the 100,000 Australians who have died in foreign wars in the last century.

https://www.awm.gov.au/

I didn't mention Canberra because the discussion was about Sydney. I live there and think it is the most beautiful city in the world. I am biased. It has mountains, [artificial] lakes and parks, and national museums and buildings. The Australian War Memorial is an amazing institution, easy to spend an entire day there. Every afternoon at about 5pm there is a ceremonial recognition of one of the 100,000 Australians who have died in foreign wars in the last century.

https://www.awm.gov.au/

I've been to Sidney & Melbourne but dying to go back bc Australia seems to be soooooo much more than these two. Canberra is definitely on the itinerary in a couple of years.

http://www.worldalldetails.com/article_image/canberra_australia_719206.jpg

Archived