Happy birthday Queen Elizabeth II

marylander1940
This topic is 2969 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was at a Joan Rivers concert once and Joan said she had recently been in London with her husband, Edgar. She said that she thought Edgar might be having an affair with the Queen because one night he came home with tiara marks on his stomach.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A Queen's husband is always a Prince Consort

Not always. Henry VIII's daughter Mary succeeded her brother Edward VI as Queen Mary. When she married Philip II of Spain, he was given the title of King, but with the restriction that it was only for Mary's lifetime, and his son (from his previous marriage, the famous Don Carlos of opera and drama) had no right of succession to the English throne. When James II's daughter Mary succeeded him as Queen Mary II, her husband, William of Orange, was crowned King William III, and after Mary died, he reigned alone as King until his death. He and Mary had no children, so he was succeeded by Mary's sister Anne, but her husband, Prince George of Denmark, was not crowned King. It seems to depend on what the political powers of the time think of the Queen's spouse. The British Constitution is often a convenient excuse, since it is not a written document like ours.

Not always. Henry VIII's daughter Mary succeeded her brother Edward VI as Queen Mary. When she married Philip II of Spain, he was given the title of King, but with the restriction that it was only for Mary's lifetime, and his son (from his previous marriage, the famous Don Carlos of opera and drama) had no right of succession to the English throne. When James II's daughter Mary succeeded him as Queen Mary II, her husband, William of Orange, was crowned King William III, and after Mary died, he reigned alone as King until his death. He and Mary had no children, so he was succeeded by Mary's sister Anne, but her husband, Prince George of Denmark, was not crowned King. It seems to depend on what the political powers of the time think of the Queen's spouse. The British Constitution is often a convenient excuse, since it is not a written document like ours.

Was thinking of the position now & when the Queen dies.

When James II's daughter Mary succeeded him as Queen Mary II, her husband, William of Orange, was crowned King William III, and after Mary died, he reigned alone as King until his death.

Mary did not 'succeed' James II & VII , (catholic) James II fled the country when (protestant) William invaded England. Mary, and William of Orange were invited to take the throne as joint monarchs after the Glorious Revolution which was essentially a coup.

If that kid was smart, she'd run with that purse NOW !

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wondered what she carries in that damned purse. Presumably not birth control pills. Doesn't she have ladies-in-waiting if she needs to use some lipstick or comb her hair?

His sovereign is more than twice his age...

http://storage.canoe.com/v1/dynamic_resize/?src=http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015/11/28/trudeau-queen.jpg&size=650x366&quality=85

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4qqwIPcFexY/UKpT1BabOQI/AAAAAAAAKd0/HHU5vvtp7k0/s400/Eastern+Caribbean+100+Dollars%252C+Queen+Elizabeth.jpg

I feel a song coming on...

Yes, but William would not have been invited to invade and take the throne if he weren't married to Mary, and although--like Victoria--she was a legitimate heir, he was given equal power with her, unlike Albert or Prince Philip. Victoria would have liked Albert to be given the title of King rather than Prince Consort, but the government were afraid that he would be harder to control than she would be on her own. (I rather doubt that Elizabeth wanted Philip to be King.) Mary's claim to be the legitimate heir was tenuous, since James did have an infant son who would normally have taken precedence, so they needed a strong figure like William to defend her claim. There are always practical political reasons for deciding what rationale to use for supporting claims to titles.

The coronation is a religious ceremony, and it is well known that the church hierarchy object to crowning Camilla as Queen (they were actually married in a civil ceremony, followed later by a simple blessing from the Archbishop). In fact, at the time of her marriage to Charles, it was announced that she would be styled the "Princess Consort," in the same way that Queen Victoria's husband Albert was called the Prince Consort rather than King. Caroline of Brunswick was married to but separated from George IV at the time of his coronation, and though she showed up and demanded to be crowned Queen, she was refused entry to the ceremony, so she was never crowned Queen.

Such a sad story!

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's wondered what she carries in that damned purse. Presumably not birth control pills. Doesn't she have ladies-in-waiting if she needs to use some lipstick or comb her hair?

Maybe because her palace has a lot of rooms, besides she's an old lady, aren't they all supposed to carry a purse.

There are always practical political reasons for deciding what rationale to use for supporting claims to titles.

Just don't let Daddy hear you, as I've finally made 'Count' and prefer to stay as close to the throne as possible. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

There are a lot of articles published speculating on the contents of that handbag. Here's one of them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/people/queen-elizabeth-whats-inside-her-handbag/

Looks like she's pretty practical and keeps the basics like mirror compact and lipstick. Possibly a cellphone to chat with the grandkids. A meticulously folded five pound note for the collection plate on Sunday. Occasionally a tenner if she's feeling generous. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a flask of gin as well.

Her Majesty apparently uses the bag to communicate with her staff. If she puts it on the table she wants the event wrapped up in five minutes. If she places on the floor, she's not enjoying the conversation and needs a lady in waiting to rescue her.

One of my colleagues worked on the 2007 royal visit to the US celebrating the founding of Jamestown colony. The planning was as complex as a presidential visit and even more detailed. For her visit to William & Mary, the event space was meticulously recorded down to the color scheme. The Queen doesn't like her outfits to clash with the decor. Now that's detail.

Archived