This prank would scare the shit out of me

jackjackjack
This topic is 1875 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Hamish and Andy are two hot looking studs. I looked them up and they've been a popular radio comedy team for a long while in Melbourne. Gotta see more of their material.

Second, they could never pull a prank like that in Texas. Open Carry down there ya know. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Some Texan would have that thing mounted and hung in his den. :p

First, Hamish and Andy are two hot looking studs. I looked them up and they've been a popular radio comedy team for a long while in Melbourne. Gotta see more of their material.

Second, they could never pull a prank like that in Texas. Open Carry down there ya know. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Some Texan would have that thing mounted and hung in his den. :p

I think you're right. One would have to know who they're pranking. Can you imagine just doing it to strangers in some random garage or really anywhere?

Edited by jackjackjack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Kansas man shot to death by cops was unintended victim of 'swatting' prank

A Kansas man shot to death by police earlier this week was the victim of a misdirected online prank known as "swatting," according to social media chatter.

The victim, identified as Andrew Finch, was gunned down on Thursday night after cops responded to his Wichita home amid a false report that he had shot his father to death and was holding his mother, brother and sister hostage.

A responding officer fatally shot Finch, 28, when he came to the front door, Wichita deputy police chief Troy Livingston said during a press conference. Livingston declined to comment on what triggered the officer to open fire and would not say whether Finch was armed.

But a series of Twitter posts screenshotted by the Wichita Eagle suggests that Finch became the unintended victim of a "swatting" prank after two Call of Duty players got into a heated argument about a $1 or $2 bet.

Swatting is an internet prank in which someone calls the cops with a fake story about an ongoing violent crime, often involving hostages, in an attempt to spark a massive police response. The potentially devastating prank method has gained particular traction among gaming communities and the FBI estimates that some 400 cases occur annually.

According to the screenshotted Twitter posts from Thursday, one Call of Duty player threatened to "swat" another gamer after exchanging harsh insults. The targeted gamer apparently provided a false address, resulting in cops showing up to Finch's home instead of his.

"Someone tried to swat me and got an innocent man killed," the player tweeted as news of the fatal police shooting began to spread.

The gamer who supposedly committed the prank later tweeted: "I DIDNT GET ANYONE KILLED BECAUSE I DIDNT DISCHARGE A WEAPON AND BEING A SWAT MEMBER ISNT MY PROFESSION." I hope they find this guy & send him to prison.

Both tweets had been deleted as of Friday afternoon.

The officer who opened fire — a seven-year veteran with the Wichita department — has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation.

BREAKING from @NBCInvestigates : The LAPD has arrested 25-year-old Tyler Barriss of LA, who is known online as "SWAuTistic," suspected in the Wichita, Kansas SWATTING incident that left a man dead in a police shooting. Suspect taken into custody this afternoon on a fugitive warrant in South Los Angeles.

This isn't the first time Barriss has landed in trouble over fake 911 calls. In 2015, he was slammed with federal charges after getting arrested for falsely claiming to have planted bombs at the offices of an ABC affiliate in LA.

Edited by samhexum