A Sigh Is Still A Sigh

FrancoDiSantisxxx
This topic is 7203 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I upgraded to digital cable a few months ago and the company gave me Showtime and HBO free for six months. Thus, I have been catching up on a lot of movies, some very good, some not so good and others I have seen before. Never one to understand why someone would own movies to watch over and over again (especially drama or comedy), it has been interesting to catch some movies I would like never rent again, such as Jeffrey. The day after I caught Jeffrey again (on rotation on Showtime), a friend telephoned me to let me know that they were going to finally repeat the kissing episode of Will & Grace. I think the show is fine but I have never been a big fan; often it strikes me as Lucy Lite although they do often have some great word play. But I had never seen this episode, only heard much about it.

So, why this long, round-about introduction (beyond the simple fact, as most of you know, that it is within my nature)? The next day, friends and I (some of them aspiring actors) were talking about how few gay kisses there were, even in films, much less broadcast TV. This reminded me of a Times article I had clipped when Far From Heaven was originally released about this very fact, tracing the history from Making Love through Sleuth and other films and on to the then current release of the Dennis Quaid film. I remember being disappointed, especially since Todd Haynes is a gay man and there was some good kissing moments in his other, more "indie" films, at how little of a gay kiss there was in Far From Heaven. I was also struck upon re-viewing Jeffrey at how good the two kisses in the film were, particularly given that the two actors were putatively heterosexual.

Any comments? Particularly about other good and/or realistic male/male kisses or other public displays of affection in films?

It has been a while since we have had a good conversation about something like this on this board....

The kiss between Peter Finch and Murray Head (great name) in "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" was quite a surprise when the movie was released in 1971. Of course it was a British film and we all know how "they" are. I can't think of a male-to-male kiss that pre-dates this in a major motion picture but hope there must be others.

While I've been sort of underwhelmed with this season, I think "Six Feet Under" is pretty impressive for showing a gay couple on a regular basis, with all the regular goings-ons including kissing and sex but also the more mundane domestic things. It isn't treated sensationally like "Hey everyone, look, here are the GAYS!!!! Look, they're gonna KISS!" but rather, as two of the show's characters, and just seems natural.

Not to make this about 6 feet under, BUT, I have to say I am a bit underwhelmed also. But the guy that gave the young red haired girl an orgasm for the first time is very hot. And I must say I am bit underwhelmed also, I guess when you start at the top you have no place to go but down I loved the show the first season!

Archived