Alan Rickman Gone

quoththeraven
This topic is 3063 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks for reminding me of Dogma. Not that Kevin Smith movies are ever lacking for quotable lines, but Alan Rickman (the Metatron angel) had some stellar ones in that movie. "Mention you're the Metatron and you get a blank look. Mention something in a Charlton Heston movie and suddenly everyone's a biblical scholar". And wiping off his robes on God's dress..."It never ends!"

Thanks for reminding me of Dogma. Not that Kevin Smith movies are ever lacking for quotable lines, but Alan Rickman (the Metatron angel) had some stellar ones in that movie. "Mention you're the Metatron and you get a blank look. Mention something in a Charlton Heston movie and suddenly everyone's a biblical scholar". And wiping off his robes on God's dress..."It never ends!"

Agree PB - Dogma was terrific and Rickman had some of the best lines, delivered to deadpan perfection:

"God? Lonely. But funny. He's got a great sense of humor. Take sex for example. There's nothing funnier than the ridiculous faces you people make mid-coitus."

"Metatron acts as the voice of God. Any documented occasion when some yahoo claims God has spoken to them, they're speaking to me. Or they're talking to themselves."

"Human beings have neither the aural nor the psychological capacity to withstand the awesome power of God's true voice. Were you to hear it, your mind would cave in and your heart would explode within your chest. We went through five Adams before we figured that one out."

(Courtesy IMDB)

I thought Emma Thompson's tribute to Alan Rickman was especially lovely...

tumblr_o0ya4d9RN61qf735wo3_500.jpg

Alan was my friend and so this is hard to write because I have just kissed him goodbye.

What I remember most in this moment of painful leave-taking is his humour, intelligence, wisdom, and kindness. His capacity to fell you with a look or lift you with a word.

That intransigence which made him the great artist that he was — his ineffable and cynical wit, the clarity with which he saw most things, including me, and the fact that he never spared me the view. I learned a lot from him.

He was the finest of actors and directors. I couldn’t wait to see what he was going to do with his face next. I consider myself hugely privileged to have worked with him so many times and to have been directed by him.

He was the ultimate ally. In life, art and politics. I trusted him absolutely.

He was, above all things, a rare and unique human being and we shall not see his like again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived