Montreal In Winter??

azdr0710
This topic is 3072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

thinking of a trip to Montreal with a forum member sooner than later, but date isn't set in stone

are the Campus and Stock clubs still "stocked" pretty well with dancers or have most of them evacuated to warmer climes?.....would we be disappointed if we don't wait until spring or later?

in general, do the Montreal experts here on the board think "DON'T GO!!"...

other than the clubs, I can deal with cold.....are popular attractions, historic buildings, museums, businesses sometimes shut or have very limited hours?....

any comments welcome.....I've never been to eastern Canada

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great question.... as a true montreal fan, i go there all seasons.... and always manage a wonderful time, even if i need to moderate certain activities.

i love montreal saunas (we have a definite lack of them here in New York City), so if you enjoy that kind of activity there is much steam and heat to be had inside a good number of such places!

The joint will be jumpin. Go and enjoy yourself. It is more crowded of course when the weather warms, but I actually prefer Montreal in the winter. Just be careful walking on the icy and snowy sidewalks.

Museums, historic buildings, and other attractions that are walkable in the warm months can easily be accessed in the winter via the underground subway...In fact there is a whole city underground.

http://www.thetravelerszone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/The-Underground-City-Montreal.jpg

Good luck...

Not an expert, but have been a frequent visitor in all seasons in the past. Just one word to start: GO.

You will have a good time at Campus and Stock, especially during the weekend--the line-ups may be smaller than during the high summer, but there will still be many to enjoy watching and ..........

Other things to do: yes the historic buildings, etc. are all open. And the "Underground City" posted above is a great place to wander around, do some shopping and just people watch. The sidewalks may be dangerous--all depends on the weather of course, but the city does a great job of trying to keep them clear.

If you go, you will notice that the Montrealers are not put off by cold weather---they know how to dress and still walk to their destinations.

Enjoy!!! and let us know if you go and your experiences.

I have been in December and January before and had a great time. There are not quite as many dancers as in the summer, but still plenty for every taste. They'll also spend more time talking with you, since the bars are not so crowded and they can easily spot an out-of-Towner. Bundle up and go!

I'm in Montreal right now, so I can tell you a couple of things:

- The strip clubs have been pretty slow the last couple of nights, but we're talking about Wednesday and Thursday, so that's not surprising. As far as I'm concerned, a lack of customers in the clubs is a good thing for me. There seem to be the usual number of dancers, but since there aren't a lot of customers, the dancers will spend more time chatting with you. That's my favorite part. I think I'd hate it on a super busy night where I wouldn't get any attention.

- Montreal is used to cold weather, and I don't think much shuts down during the winter. I spent a good portion of the day exploring the underground city... It's one of my favorite things to do here.

Thanks for the on-the-scene reporting Corndog. What's the cost structure in those clubs (i.e., laps dances, entrance fees)? The Canadian $ is so low right now it seems like it would be a great bargain, but if they charge higher prices it would kind of cancel out the advantage.

thanks very much for all the comments....the trip is confirmed for later this month and we're planning to spend about five or six days in MTL and I'll have a very full day in Quebec City for the history and scenery over there after my traveling partner leaves.....

some very quick prelim questions for the experts here:

1. are electric sockets the "same" as US ones?

2. can I walk from the Governeur to the main/downtown MTL train station to take the train to Quebec City?...I'm very capable of walking long distances...safe to walk before sunrise and after sunset along that route?...transients don't bother me....I do know there's a subway if that is quicker

3. are regular banks the best place to exchange cash?....or another idea?

4. am planning on taking the 24/7 #747 bus from YUL to downtown....is that the best way?....I'm not too proud to require some "car service"

5. I'll look for other threads here on MTL, but can anybody suggest locally-popular, long-established, independent (non-chain), locally-owned breakfast, lunch, and dinner joints.....we may have a splurge dinner or two, but I'm not a "foodie" and much prefer non-hip, non-scene places where you get an honest meal for an honest buck....thanks to BORGERBACK for the suggestions above!....I do plan on hitting a Tim Horton's for my first time if that's popular with the locals

6. I have picked up several good guide books, but any suggestions for "must see/bucket list" historic buildings, neighborhoods, museums, parks, etc.?

more later....thanks a lot for your help

Yes. You should be able to plug devices no problem.

2. can I walk from the Governeur to the main/downtown MTL train station to take the train to Quebec City?...I'm very capable of walking long distances...safe to walk before sunrise and after sunset along that route?...transients don't bother me....I do know there's a subway if that is quicker

I assume you're taking Via Rail to Quebec, which is in Station Square-Victoria. From Governeur it should take you about 30 minutes at a moderate pace. Factor in snow in the time. I don't know...I think taking the subway is better. :)

I think so. Banque Laurentienne, in my experience, charges the least in terms of service fees, C$2.50 each transaction.

4. am planning on taking the 24/7 #747 bus from YUL to downtown....is that the best way?....I'm not too proud to require some "car service"

No experience with the airport-to-downtown transportation.

5. I'll look for other threads here on MTL, but can anybody suggest locally-popular, long-established, independent (non-chain), locally-owned breakfast, lunch, and dinner joints.....we may have a splurge dinner or two, but I'm not a "foodie" and much prefer non-hip, non-scene places where you get an honest meal for an honest buck....thanks to BORGERBACK for the suggestions above!....I do plan on hitting a Tim Horton's for my first time if that's popular with the locals

I love L'Gros Luxe. Very few items in their menu go over C$10, and they're very satisfying. I will say though that it's quite a popular spot, so it might not be your cup of tea.

6. I have picked up several good guide books, but any suggestions for "must see/bucket list" historic buildings, neighborhoods, museums, parks, etc.?

I love the Notre Dame Basilica. Very touristy, but it's a beautiful basilica / church, especially at night.

thanks very much for all the comments....the trip is confirmed for later this month and we're planning to spend about five or six days in MTL and I'll have a very full day in Quebec City for the history and scenery over there after my traveling partner leaves.....

some very quick prelim questions for the experts here:

Same

The subway station is right under the hotel and it's something like 4 or 5 stops to the main train station.

ATMs are plentiful and give good exchange rates. Best if you have a bank that doesn't charge for non-own-bank withdrawals and no foreign transaction fees (I use Charles Schwab).

The 747 bus takes you right to the opposite side of the plaza from the hotel. Look for the Berri-UQAM stop (the second to last stop on the bus I think). It's a very short walk to the front door of the hotel across the small park.

A lot of good places on the Plateau (plateau mont-Royal north west of the gay village) at all price points. Joe Beef and Au Pied du Cochon are splurgey but must tries in MTL. La Banquise is a famous kind of divey place to have all different kinds of poutine. Also you must try Schwartz's for their famous smoked meat sandwich and compare it to NY pastrami to see which you like better. And the bagels are different in Montreal too. I like Fairmount Bagel farther north in the Plateau. Finally for the best viennoiserie this side of Paris check out Patisserie Au Kouign Amann and try a croissant or their eponymous kouign amann.

Definitely walk around the old port and the Plateau. Both iconic Montreal.

5. I'll look for other threads here on MTL, but can anybody suggest locally-popular, long-established, independent (non-chain), locally-owned breakfast, ...

You've got good replies to almost everything you asked. I would add a few more breakfast suggestions, all in the Village:

a. Chez Cora (renowned for their breakfasts)

b. La Mie Matinale, owned by a Parisian

c. Cacao 70

Google maps will find them easily for you. a. is about a block east of your hotel on Ste. Catherine; the rest are further down. Walking that route will more or less duplicate your evening walks from club to club :).

Have fun!

I love the Notre Dame Basilica. Very touristy, but it's a beautiful basilica / church, especially at night.

If you like churches, St. Joseph's Oratory and the Basilica of Mary Queen of the World are also pretty spectacular.

I have read that the exchange rate through ATMs is usually the best.

It pays to check rates in a couple of places, but my experience is that ATMs offer the best rates even if there is a fee. Travelling this week, the exchange office at Canberra airport offered me $US0.63 per AUD, I negotiated $0.6704 for the amount I wanted (had to forgo the airline miles they usually offer), and the ATM rate would have been about $0.70. (The AUD has since dropped about 2c.) If you see a rate in a bank, make an ATM withdrawal of say $100 and work out what the rate is for yourself. If you've prepaid your hotel bill in CAD, check the exchange rate you received for that, it will be about the same as the ATM rate would have been on that day.

If you're worried about exchange rate fluctuations more than what is the best rate when you want to make a transaction, you can get a loadable Visa/Mastercard (issued by Qantas in my case but there are others out there) that allow you to load foreign currencies at the rate of the day (not as good as the ATM rate would be) and use it for credit card transactions or for ATM withdrawals at no additional cost. If you're only spending a couple of hundred dollars and paying for travel and accommodation on your US credit card it's probably not worth the hassle of such a card (or perhaps even of chasing rates between banks and ATMs).

Archived