cigars or cigarette

craigville beach
This topic is 3049 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As noted above I hate the smell of smoke. My father quit cold turkey the day that he was discharged from the military in 1946. My mom never smoked a day in her life. Fortunately I was raised in a smoke free environment. Unfortunately my mom died of lung cancer. Go figure! She was only subjected to second hand smoke as a child and that could have been the cause. Perhaps she was exposed to other carcinogens over time or possibly it was simply genetics. Simply recalling her ordeal makes me shake my head when I see people smoke. I keep thinking why add insult to injury??? Interestingly my dad had just about every type of cancer in the book from leukemia, lymphoma, prostrate, you name it and he basically died of old age after being debilitated after a fall. Given, the family history I have been lucky so far.....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can smell cigarette smoke from yards away. It makes no difference what brand it is. The smoke bothers my entire respiratory system and if I'm around it in an enclosed space long enough, I get a sinus infection.
More likely an allergic reaction rather than infection.

Either one causes runny nose, but the allergic reactions can be quickly resolved by getting away from the allergen.

More likely an allergic reaction rather than infection.

Either one causes runny nose, but the allergic reactions can be quickly resolved by getting away from the allergen.

Then the doctors who diagnosed them were wrong. Also, I am susceptible because I have allergies. Going home and getting away from the allergen didn't help. My condition only got worse.

Thankfully, (a) I resolved never to be around smoke, even if that meant not staying at my mother-in-law's and not staying around her (one year it was because we were all staying in the same part of her brother's house), (b) my mother-in-law eventually quit smoking, and © I had sinus surgery, after which I had no more sinus infections and my chronic post-nasal drip went away.

I probably have a couple of dozen old photographs of my parents in one nightclub or another, heads together, smiling for the camera, each of them with a cigarette and a cocktail in hand. Those pictures look like a bunch of still shots from films of the period, when nightclubs and cocktails and cigarettes suggested glamour and sophisticated fun.

The old movies still suggest that--or, at least, I know what I'm supposed to perceive, and I do--despite the warnings of the Surgeon General, and the latter day health issues of both my parents.

Not that I want to take up cigarette smoking, or even be around it, but sometimes I wouldn't mind being transported into an old movie ... and if Cary Grant wanted to kiss me, well, hell, I guess I'd do the gracious thing and let him ...

8282166997_dd8e7f60e6_b.jpg

My first real boyfriend was a smoker and I still remember kissing him. I think that is why it still doesn't bother me. And I really would not mind kissing Cary.

What kind of sinus surgery did you have? I would love to be free of constant post nasal drip.

Endoscopic. I now don't remember which sinus cavity it was that they operated on. I was warned ahead of time that it might not resolve my post-nasal drip, which caused a constant hacking cough every winter, but it did.

Archived