Senior living

seaboy4hire
This topic is 3097 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I applied for long-term care insurance about a year ago. The carrier denied me coverage. I have a condition that I was sure would be a deal breaker, so my agent called the underwriter before we submitted the application. The carrier said, "No problem." So we filed the application and they still rejected me. I guess I'm glad. The premium was going to be $300.00/month.

Is the premium fixed at $300 per month for your life or can the insurance company change it without limit? If they can jump the rate then maybe people are better off paying the premium amount into an investment fund. But of course they have to discipline themselves not to use that money for something else which isn't easy for everyone. Twenty years of those payments assuming 6% return is nearly $140,000.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the premium fixed at $300 per month for your life or can the insurance company change it without limit? If they can jump the rate then maybe people are better off paying the premium amount into an investment fund. But of course they have to discipline themselves not to use that money for something else which isn't easy for everyone. Twenty years of those payments assuming 6% return is nearly $140,000.

I forget how it worked. It seems to me that the premium was fixed. I wouldn't have been interested in a policy that allowed unlimited premium increases.

The policy that I am considering starts at about 3K per year, and it does increase over time. My neighbor paid that amount until he hit 75, then the premiums went through the roof, to over 5 grand. Not sure how his policy is structured, and he certainly can afford the increases, but I'm sure there are those that can't. So what do you do when you reach an age when you potentially might need the insurance, but can no longer can afford the premiums. The cost of the premiums, and Charlie's comments about the restrictions when it comes time to activate the policy have me thinking.

today I had lunch with a 92 y/o widow, I also had lunch with 21 other members of my community who are in their 70's, 80's, and 90's. My helper was an 89 year old widow who grew up in a family of 8 in Nova Scotia with only a father/fisherman ( her mother died when she was 8 yrs old). My 92 year old friend is also a widow. Her husband took care of everything and she raised the two children: 1 boy, 1 girl. Her husband has been dead for 10 years, her children live on the west coast, and she, like me lives where she has always lived in a small New England town, in her own home. She is my hero. 2 years ago, her entire savings/investments where stolen by a financial planner that her husband had chosen. Every dime she had. She is the most upbeat, cheerfully person I have ever met. She is 92 y/o. I love her to pieces and wrap my arms around her and plant a big kiss every time I see her. We can all take a lesson for my friend, who approaches the end of her life with incredible grace and dignity. I only hope that I can do as well.

How can you guys think about retirement in such detail? I'm overwhelmed just dealing with what's going on now.

That said, Tonyko has an excellent point. When it comes to healthcare, there's nothing like having an advocate who can fight for good care on your behalf.

Well, one does need to think about "retirement". At the end of the day we were "All born to die". An advocate won't be able to do much if you haven't planned properly like having a DNR, Living Will, Health POA, etc....

I was a Social Worker for Senior Citizens in my 20's... Now I AM a Senior Citizen... Try living on SSDI with an income of $800 per month... And the Republicans want to cut the "entitlement" programs...

As a Social Worker, I was able to provide in home services to Seniors to KEEP them in their homes as long as possible as long as they were not a danger to themselves or others.

As a country, we need compassion and love for our seniors. We will all be there at some point!

Guess I better get off Soap Box...

Looking quickly online there is an animal called life insurance with a lng term care rider. I think one company that offered that is MetLife. May be an interesting option to a policy with premiums that can increase. Maybe a licensed (fee not commission) financial planner or independent licensed insurance agent can help. The idea of a long term care policy on which rates can rise unlimited and if not paid there is no value for prior payments would I think be problematic.

I actually just read a great book two weeks ago on the topic of tragedy, morality, and elder care. It's not a happy book but it really puts you in the right place to think about these inevitable things. I suggest it to anyone of any age really.

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51C9yK9VzzL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm replying to myself to further explain. At some point, no matter what or when, we are all going to need some looking after. Be it 80, or 89 it is going to happen. I would rather drop dead in my tracks than live in a nursing home. I work daily with seniors, who at 92+ are still in their own home...but they have a support system to check in/up and do for them. I'm sure at some point I'm not going to want to take care of a large property, with upkeep and such. A small, independent space in my sons southern california back yard would work for me after many many new england winters. I'm not ready yet, there are a few more miles on me. but when the time comes this pod idea is a good solution.

Not much different from the small house across the street from where I lived in upstate New York where the grandparents of the woman next door to it lived. Once they died, she and her husband leased the smaller house to tenants.

As long as I have my own room and full bathroom and the place isn't completely noisy, I don't really care. The best nursing home I've ever seen was a public facility. (So was the worst.)

As long as I have my own room and full bathroom and the place isn't completely noisy, I don't really care.

I tend to be of the same mind. And by that time, unless the noise is coming from a boom box -- just take out the hearing aids, and voila!

http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/Hymns_and_Carols/Images/Silent_Night_141.gif

I tend to be of the same mind. And by that time, unless the noise is coming from a boom box -- just take out the hearing aids, and voila!

I'll just drive them crazy listening and singing along to Kpop videos and music I've saved on my tablet. (I luv Spotify.) Kind of like what I do to you all. :p:eek::p

If anyone really annoys me, I'll play "Born Hater," which has f-bombs galore but is mostly in Korean. That'll really confuse them. :)

I'll just drive them crazy listening and singing along to Kpop videos and music I've saved on my tablet. (I luv Spotify.) Kind of like what I do to you all. :p:eek::p

If anyone really annoys me, I'll play "Born Hater," which has f-bombs galore but is mostly in Korean. That'll really confuse them. :)

Aigu!! :p

Not much different from the small house across the street from where I lived in upstate New York where the grandparents of the woman next door to it lived. Once they died, she and her husband leased the smaller house to tenants.

As long as I have my own room and full bathroom and the place isn't completely noisy, I don't really care. The best nursing home I've ever seen was a public facility. (So was the worst.)

I was at a party a few weeks ago where I met a lovely woman, originally from Texas, who had lived in the Bay area since the mid-sixties. I got the impression that she was in her mid to late seventies. She lived in a group home in Marin County, had her own room, shared a bathroom, had meals prepared for her and just generally loved the setup. She told me how much it cost her monthly - it was absurdly low, given the price of housing here - around $700.00. She did a lot of house-sitting, so she spent long periods of time away from the group home. It seemed like a nearly idyllic way to live.

Aigu!! :p

The K-pop thing is pretty recent and mostly inspired by my daughter and my dislike for much of what pop has become (the Sixties were its heyday, imo) and most MVs. Now that she's not here to natter at me about TOP and G-Dragon while I'm trying to make dinner, I actually have had time to listen and explore.

I am so pissed that I didn't get into Epik High soon enough to attend their June concert in NYC. I alternate listening to their two most recent albums on Spotify every day. And I didn't know about Big Bang's recent concert in New Jersey until it was close to sold out and the tickets too pricey for me.

P.S. -- The extent of my Korean is saranghae, daranghae, aegyo, some honorifics, and food names (first two courtesy of Epik High songs). So not very much. I don't know hangul. My daughter has taught it to herself.

I want to end my days like my neighbor. She still resides in her 3 thousand square foot condo where she has lived for the past 40 + years. She has a full time nurse, that tends to her every need, and a housekeeper who pops in a couple of times a week. She still goes out every single day, and still plays bridge at the club twice a week. She is driven around in a new S series, and is perfect in her pearls...and can tell you everything about her life in great detail...Last Saturday she had a dinner party for about 30 people...Oh yes, she is 101 years old, and she laughs and tells me "Yes you will sweetie" when I tell her that I will never see 100.

I want to end my days like my neighbor. She still resides in her 3 thousand square foot condo where she has lived for the past 40 + years. She has a full time nurse, that tends to her every need, and a housekeeper who pops in a couple of times a week. She still goes out every single day, and still plays bridge at the club twice a week. She is driven around in a new S series, and is perfect in her pearls...and can tell you everything about her life in great detail...Last Saturday she had a dinner party for about 30 people...Oh yes, she is 101 years old.

(Having already gotten in trouble today, I may as well go whole hog...)

I can see the movie now: Driving Mr bigvalboy. :D

The K-pop thing is pretty recent and mostly inspired by my daughter and my dislike for much of what pop has become (the Sixties were its heyday, imo) and most MVs. Now that she's not here to natter at me about TOP and G-Dragon while I'm trying to make dinner, I actually have had time to listen and explore.

I am so pissed that I didn't get into Epik High soon enough to attend their June concert in NYC. I alternate listening to their two most recent albums on Spotify every day. And I didn't know about Big Bang's recent concert in New Jersey until it was close to sold out and the tickets too pricey for me.

P.S. -- The extent of my Korean is saranghae, daranghae, aegyo, some honorifics, and food names (first two courtesy of Epik High songs). So not very much. I don't know hangul. My daughter has taught it to herself.

Im in the same boat as you. I don't speak much Korean, other then the words my mom would yell at me when im in trouble :D

Though I have picked up a few words here and there like Guji, and Kote, Jatori,

I want to end my days like my neighbor. She still resides in her 3 thousand square foot condo where she has lived for the past 40 + years. She has a full time nurse, that tends to her every need, and a housekeeper who pops in a couple of times a week. She still goes out every single day, and still plays bridge at the club twice a week. She is driven around in a new S series, and is perfect in her pearls...and can tell you everything about her life in great detail...Last Saturday she had a dinner party for about 30 people...Oh yes, she is 101 years old, and she laughs and tells me "Yes you will sweetie" when I tell her that I will never see 100.

I love old people like that :D I remember speaking with one woman in her 100's. She lost her entire family in ww 1 and ww2, her sons and grand sons in the Vietnam and Korean war. She would tell me stories about working at IBM when the first computers came out, entire rooms of huge cabinet computers just to process a small amount of data, and look at the computers now! small hand held devices had more computing power then all of ibm back them. black and white tv, cable tv, color tv. the internet. Man on the moon? she is thankful she lived to see that. cell phones? she thought the 80s was incredible with those bricks.. now cell phones that you can put in watches! she certainly is looking forward to the future. everyday astounds her with all the leaps. She said she hopes to live long enough to see flying cars and robots.

I hope I never act my real age (i'm 64)

Age is a date of mind. My grandparents on my mom's side complained they were old all the time and sure enough they started falling apart quickly. I joke that I am old but I'm only joking. I refuse to "get old." Working with a large group of young folk i think helps.

Hugs,

Greg

Archived