Penn station NYC, No Starbucks ?!

Brian Kevin
This topic is 2337 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm on my train to Boston, I need a nap. Love ya guys, enjoy the thread. I was nervous to post it, my 411 on Arbys coated me some heat. LOL. I'm glad this one revealed a nice history and real life lessons. I'm jamming to Spotify and laying down on this train (in a ball) and getting a power nap in. I'll chime in with everything said this evening. Enjoy your afternoons buddies !!!!!!

Wet and sloppy blow jobs all around to everyone ;)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even more beautiful on the inside. I'm looking around and would love to see that instead of what I see. I walked passed a man digging in the trash, I noticed he had no shoes on... His feet were blistered and bloody, he was counting change.

.. I ask him what size shoe he waw, he didn't even know.... I took off my boat shoes and said Merry Christmas, I got out of my suitcase my Nike's and put them on and laced them up, my boat shoes (size 13) fit him.. He said here, and put his hand out and gave me the few pennies nicklea and quarters he was counting and said "Nothing is free and you will take this money" he walked off and all I could do was smile. Even though I'm out about 65.35 cents roughly, him handing me all the money he owned was heart warming, I just can't take the thought of anyone being barefoot anywhere outside. people around me stared at me in disgust but I would of done it for them (if I had thought the shoe would fit) I wish he didn't give me his change, so he could of ate.... But I wasn't gonna demand he take it since his additude was poor and he seemed admimnt I keep the change (totaled 85 cents)

It is the acts and attitudes of human kindness, such as you have demonstrated, that make me rethink my belief that God should have gone with his/her first inclination to obliterate all life.

Even more beautiful on the inside. I'm looking around and would love to see that instead of what I see. I walked passed a man digging in the trash, I noticed he had no shoes on... His feet were blistered and bloody, he was counting change.

.. I ask him what size shoe he waw, he didn't even know.... I took off my boat shoes and said Merry Christmas, I got out of my suitcase my Nike's and put them on and laced them up, my boat shoes (size 13) fit him.. He said here, and put his hand out and gave me the few pennies nicklea and quarters he was counting and said "Nothing is free and you will take this money" he walked off and all I could do was smile. Even though I'm out about 65.35 cents roughly, him handing me all the money he owned was heart warming, I just can't take the thought of anyone being barefoot anywhere outside. people around me stared at me in disgust but I would of done it for them (if I had thought the shoe would fit) I wish he didn't give me his change, so he could of ate.... But I wasn't gonna demand he take it since his additude was poor and he seemed admimnt I keep the change (totaled 85 cents)

OK...seriously, that is just amazing Brian. I happen to believe in Karma, so here is hoping...Merry Christmas to you!!

And at that, these make it look better than it is.

WAY better lol! (locale also has much to do with it re WHO is walking around in there. G. Central, when I was little, was a mass of sleeping people of questionable domocile and hygiene which it no longer is, re the rehab of it and the location. But PENN is in a not-so-great area and is still more like a big subway terminal many homeless (a shame) and crazies druggies runaways yada yada. The HUGE diff to me is that G. Central is NOT the major subway crossroads the way Penn is, the E side lines tend to have a diff kind of rider and from the West side and there is only ONE train (a shuttle) that goes there to Grand C. So there's a "element" in Penn that doesn't travel to GC.

I still blame him for everything

So does Robert Caro in his epic non-fiction book, "The Power Broker" about Robert Moses. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I hope to read "The Power Broker" at least once more.

Now Caro may be more well know for his groundbreaking books about LBJ, which he has spent the last 35 plus years of his life.

So does Robert Caro in his epic non-fiction book, "The Power Broker" about Robert Moses. It is one of the best books I have ever read. I hope to read "The Power Broker" at least once more.

Now Caro may be more well know for his groundbreaking books about LBJ, which he has spent the last 35 plus years of his life.

Thank you! Reminded me I've meant to read that. (The Power Broker. I read his first two LBJ volumes; riveted, but still seeking the stamina to start the third one.)

Not really. That's what that section looks like. Others are darker, dingier, and more run-down.

Or did you mean this photo cherrypicked one of the nicest areas?

Yes, exactly. The exit promenade by the escalators is about the only area where I don't feel entirely like I'm in the Führerbunker.

Edited by AdamSmith

for those who haven't seen the current Penn Station....

http://www.johnbyronkuhner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/penn-station-now.jpg

Penn_Station_concourse.jpg

Where's the homless, all the trash? The stains? The shit smell? Where's all the people and also, where are the armed forces in FULL ARMY CAMO with guns ready to go? Where are the 10 dogs casually walking around sniffing for bombs??? You're right, these pictures are nothing like what's actually happening at Penn station .

Imnoy talking 1 or 2 military I'm talking 2 dozen in groups of 2 spread all over the inside and outside of penn station.

If you're feeling suspect or looking suspect be prepaired to be fallowed !

Where's the homless, all the trash? The stains? The shit smell? Where's all the people and also, where are the armed forces in FULL ARMY CAMO with guns ready to go? Where are the 10 dogs casually walking around sniffing for bombs??? You're right, these pictures are nothing like what's actually happening at Penn station .

Imnoy talking 1 or 2 military I'm talking 2 dozen in groups of 2 spread all over the inside and outside of penn station.

If you're feeling suspect or looking suspect be prepaired to be fallowed.

The military-style police presence with bomb-sniffing dogs is typical of the NYPD response to raised terrorist threat assessments.

After Paris and San Bernardino, it is only to be expected, especially since there is no screening for train passengers. I am sure the unspoken motto of every NYC mayor since 9/11 has been "never again."

One good thing that came out of the demolition of the old Penn Station: it galvanized a lot of people and when Grand Central was similarly threatened with destruction NYC's first landmark building laws were passed. I believe Jackie Kennedy (and maybe Mayor Koch? or was this before him?) was one of the leaders of the effort to save GC.

I walked though the whole thing. I think it might be on another floor or another part of the building I sat by the cute military guys and snap chatted before I found the homeless guy when I was going to get food, never ate -.-

I take Amtrak from Philadelphia to NYC relatively often. If there is a Starbuck, it very well hidden. I have never seen a Starbuck in Penn Station either.

Oh...my.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view5/3450147/surprised-woman-on-family-feud-o.gif

I'm not surprised. Penn Station is kind of a pit. It has low ceilings and feels so claustrophobic and cramped like an underground animal dwelling, unlike Grand Central Station , one of the most beautiful buildings ever.

Get yourself out of there as quickly as possible and have a great day. Wish you were on your way to see me!

If you had to use NYC Part Authority bus station in the 1960s and 1970s, the current Penn Station is a great place compared to the Port Authority. Late at night I frequently took the bus back to Fort Dix, New Jersey where I was stationed in 1967-68. The bus station in Saigon, Vietnam was safer.

Edited by WilliamM

Holly shit Sheridan!!!! That is so much more glorious than this building. That was a stupid move. Someone got paid off for that. What an elabroate and beautiful building.... This one... Is an eye sore. I am able to go into the Amtrak waiting room (High Tier points member) but I like being with the other poor people, plus I don't travel in dress cloths. Jeans T and a hoodie. I used to wear my jewelry and dress nice until I got robbed (in my home town as well) getting off a mid high bus and walking to terminal tower to catch a train and it happend so fast, they were saying how easy I made it for myself to be targeted, so never fucking again. Let's not forget my size either. My parents wanted me to get a permit to carry a small firearm for myself, but I believe all life is precious, even awful people, we all have a purpose and NO one has the right to end someone else's life, no matter the terms. Anyone can change, just a matter of the right time, situation and with enough TLC.... Lemme stop. Lol

I just read something about this. At the time, they thought the day of the train was ending. So they tore down the old beautiful Penn Station but kept the underground tracks. They thought that trains would be a thing of the past and that within a few years they would be demolishing the tracks too. That was in 1963. The current top part was opened in 1969. And so this is what we have left.

I don't know much about Penn Station. But if you are ever at Grand Central-outside it they have something called Urban Space which is filled with places to buy food. I hear Delaney Chicken is excellent (plus an almost relative of mine works there:rolleyes:).

http://assets.gothamistllc.com/images/spacer.gif

Come For The Fried Chicken, Stay For The Sandwich At Newly Opened Delaney Chicken

BY NELL CASEY IN FOOD ON SEP 23, 2015 12:45 PM

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_nellcasey/092315delaney1.jpg

(Clay Williams/Gothamist)

Of the many enticing dining options inside the new UrbanSpace Vanderbilt food hall near Grand Central, the new fried chicken enterprise by brisket master Daniel Delaney was by far the most hyped by food media—this website not excluded. When it comes to fried chicken, we get excited.

The man known for his superb barbecue had been thinking about and tinkering with fried chicken for nearly a year. "There wasn't really the type of chicken that I wanted to have in the city, stylistically, and so that's something I'd been feeling for a long time," he explains of his concept. "I just think that a lot of the southern-style fried chicken is very similar. It's great, but it's very similar, where they're dredging the chicken in flour and then it's being fried."

Instead of a simple seasoned flour dredge, Delaney and his team—which includes former Bark Hot Dogs general manager Eli Cohn-Wein—employ a wet batter, which Delaney calls "more rewarding" to bite through after it's fried. "It's a very different texture cause it's not just skin," he says. "It becomes these cracked open layers of crunch that you bite through, and I think that's cool and I like that, so it's something that I wanted to do."

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_nellcasey/092315delaney2.jpg

Visitors to NOLA's famed Willie Mae's Scotch House, founded by Wille Mae Seaton who recently passed away, will recognize the crunchy, amber exterior of Delaney's version. It's got a puffy crust that's airier than the nooks and crags of a purely flour-dredged bird. The two enormous drumsticks I tried—seriously these must be monster chickens!—were hot and juicy beneath the layer of batter and skin. It may just be a symptom of the cut (I'm more a thigh girl), but there were some bits that weren't easy to bite through.

Seasoning-wise, Delaney's keeping it simple. "It's like four flavoring ingredients, it's not like there's some magic sauce or secret recipe," he says. "Most chicken is not really spicy or spiced in the city. Ours is. It's definitely a good amount of heat." I couldn't detect much spiciness in my drumstick, but heat levels vary from person-to-person, and as with most places that've just opened, it takes a while to lock in consistency.

http://gothamist.com/attachments/nyc_nellcasey/092315delaney3.jpg

Yesterday, Delaney Chicken debuted their first sandwich offering, a spicy chicken creation that I found to be more delightful than the drumstick. Cohn-Wein told me it's an ode to places like Chick-fil-A or Wendys—fast food chicken sandwiches admired by himself and Delaney. A deboned-chicken thigh comes on a potato roll with house-made bread and butter pickles, Crystal hot sauce and Duke's Mayonnaise, a popular brand in the south. It's simple, unadulterated comfort food made special by that unique (to these parts, anyway) batter.

I'd return to Delany Chicken more frequently if navigating the congested streets around Grand Central weren't so headache-inducing. The chicken, especially the crust, was flavorful and took me back to fond memories of New Orleans. I overheard some suit complaining about the prices—a box of two chicken pieces goes for $10 and the smallish-sized sandwich for $8—but that's on par with other fried chicken options at this point. If you want cheap, wait for Chick-fil-A.

Want more like this? Get the tastiest food news, restaurant openings and more every Friday with the Gothamist Weekly Digest.

Gman

One good thing that came out of the demolition of the old Penn Station: it galvanized a lot of people and when Grand Central was similarly threatened with destruction NYC's first landmark building laws were passed. I believe Jackie Kennedy (and maybe Mayor Koch? or was this before him?) was one of the leaders of the effort to save GC.

Thank gosh for that. But you really have to wonder-what were they thinking? I thought maybe the architecture experts of the time might have looked down on its Beaux-Arts Style. But apparently there was a big cry against demolition by many architects even though it wasn't their style. It was apparently driven mainly by money as the upkeep was too expensive.

Gman

Pretty sure this predated Koch, who I thought was mostly useless. He was a cheerleader for the city and that was it.

Thank gosh for that. But you really have to wonder-what were they thinking? I thought maybe the architecture experts of the time might have looked down on its Beaux-Arts Style. But apparently there was a big cry against demolition by many architects even though it wasn't their style. It was apparently driven mainly by money as the upkeep was too expensive.

Gman

Yes. Look at those photos. Beautiful but a bitch to keep up.