Jury duty

seaboy4hire
This topic is 2410 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here, jury eligibility starts with the electoral roll (electoral enrolment is compulsory). Courts are state level, there are no local government courts. State and federal laws exempt or exclude groups from jury duty, for example members of the armed forces and police are exempt (there are only state and federal police, no local ones). State governments issue generic jury notices, and then jury summons to attend the court. When you get the initial notice you can claim exemption, if you don't the summons means you have to show up.

Potential jurors are questioned before being chosen for a jury. One question you will likely see looks like this: "Do you have any beliefs that might prevent you from making a decision based strictly on the law?" This is a round-about way of asking whether you believe in Jury Nullification and if you answer yes, you will almost certainly be excluded from the jury. If you lie and answer no to get on the jury, you could be charged with perjury if anyone finds out.

I always wanted to serve on a jury -- one of life's experiences, that sort of thing. When I lived in CA through the 90's I had a connection with the police department -- not an officer. So that pretty well excluded me from all the cases I was called for. In New York I was called several times, met some interesting people -- there was a young NY Times reporter who got into trouble with something he wrote sitting next to me once, and a couple of uber-obnoxious lawyers who the judges took great relish in not excusing -- but the police question ("have you ever...") did its work there as well. Back in California again, I was called up once more. This time it was a civil case, so no police question. I was picked. About 3 weeks from first showing up to the verdict. Very interesting. I learned a lot about people, about the community and about some aspects of "the system". I would gladly do it again.

You probably will get out of it, because lawyers and judges don't want to work that week. I was summoned once during New Year's week, and the sessions every day were cancelled the day before.

I hope those were civil cases. Aren't we supposed to have the right to a speedy trial?

You probably will get out of it, because lawyers and judges don't want to work that week. I was summoned once during New Year's week, and the sessions every day were cancelled the day before.

I am hoping that your right. I am on vacation from work during that time frame. Although I have no major travel plans other than the actual Holiday weekend itself. There is a box on the jury form which indicates vacation. I am considering checking that. But it might be easier just to get it done if I am selected. Surely there wont be court on Xmas eve or day. Law & Order never has court on those days.

In California we also have the Maximum Speed posted on roads. I'm not sure but I think a speeder can be charged with exceeding the Maximum Speed instead of being charged with Speeding at XX MPH.

My sure-fire way of avoiding serving on a jury is to acknowledge the Jury Summons but to request that I be called in the week before a Monday holiday or the week between Christmas and New Years Day. I've successfully avoided appearing for jury duty now 8 times.

I know one day I will have to serve and it will be a gory, sticky, obnoxious waste of time, but my answer in Voie Dire will be, "I don't know, your honor, but I think 'if the PO-lice has to turn on them red & blue lights, sumbody's got ta pay the power bill.'" Quote comes directly from a Deep South small-town police officer as he ticketed me for driving 37 in a 35 zone.

In California we also have the Maximum Speed posted on roads. I'm not sure but I think a speeder can be charged with exceeding the Maximum Speed instead of being charged with Speeding at XX MPH.

My sure-fire way of avoiding serving on a jury is to acknowledge the Jury Summons but to request that I be called in the week before a Monday holiday or the week between Christmas and New Years Day. I've successfully avoided appearing for jury duty now 8 times.

I know one day I will have to serve and it will be a gory, sticky, obnoxious waste of time, but my answer in Voie Dire will be, "I don't know, your honor, but I think 'if the PO-lice has to turn on them red & blue lights, sumbody's got ta pay the power bill.'" Quote comes directly from a Deep South small-town police officer as he ticketed me for driving 37 in a 35 zone.

37 in a 35? id probably contest that speeding ticket:P

GET READY FOR AN OPINION THAT'S LIKE A MIX AMMONIA AND BLEACH

I am very, very glad I served once.

It showed me how amazingly petty, self-righteous, unobservant, and un-conscientious the average citizen can be, even when serving on something so important as a jury. It convinced me to keep on the right side of the law for the rest of my life, if I don't want mopes like THEM deciding my fate in a courtroom.

I'm also glad I served (recently) on a mock jury. It confirmed that my first experience was correct.

I hope those were civil cases. Aren't we supposed to have the right to a speedy trial?

I would think we ought to have the right to a speedy trial regardless of whether it is a civil or criminal case. But I don't know what kind of cases they were, because I never had to show up: every day I got a message saying that the following day's cases were postponed, until the term of my summons ran out (in California it is one calendar week, and if you are not chosen on any day that week, you have served your jury duty).

Three times?!?!? I get called every year, like clockwork. In San Francisco we don't have to go in. We're on call for a week. You may get through the entire week without having to go into the courthouse. The last time I served, I had to into the courthouse and everybody was dismissed at about 9:30A.

San Diego County is on the one day/one trial system. If you are not empaneled you are dismissed.

It's easy to get excused for illness, vacation, family matters, etc. You just mail a form back asking to be excused and giving the reason. But then they summon you again in six months.

San Diego County does it a bit differently. You can actually pick the date of your next jury service and can process the transaction online or by phone. The lady at the courthouse suggested I pick the day after New Years. I was dismissed at 10:00 because they didn't need anyone. You can also appear up to two weeks before the date on your summons.

I would think we ought to have the right to a speedy trial regardless of whether it is a civil or criminal case.

We only have the right to a speedy trial for criminal cases. In California, it is always illegal to drive over a speed limit posted 55 or higher. However, it can be legal to drive 55 on a street marked with a 45 mph speed limit, if it is safe to do so. It can also be illegal to drive 40 on a street marked 45 if it's unsafe to do so. If driving over the posted limit, the defendant has the burden of proof to show that it was legal to drive over the limit (i.e. that's the speed most people drive that road, and there hasn't been a traffic survey to say otherwise). If driving under the limit, the prosecution has the burden of proof (i.e. there was a thick fog, and visibility was poor).

We only have the right to a speedy trial for criminal cases. In California, it is always illegal to drive over a speed limit posted 55 or higher. However, it can be legal to drive 55 on a street marked with a 45 mph speed limit, if it is safe to do so. It can also be illegal to drive 40 on a street marked 45 if it's unsafe to do so. If driving over the posted limit, the defendant has the burden of proof to show that it was legal to drive over the limit (i.e. that's the speed most people drive that road, and there hasn't been a traffic survey to say otherwise). If driving under the limit, the prosecution has the burden of proof (i.e. there was a thick fog, and visibility was poor).

If it's illegal, why would California have speed limits posted higher than 55? Or am I misreading your statement?

Gman

If it's illegal, why would California have speed limits posted higher than 55? Or am I misreading your statement?

If the speed limit is 55 or higher (i.e. 55, 60, 65, or 70), then it's illegal to drive over the speed limit, regardless of whether or not it was safe to do so. If the speed limit is less than 55, then the law only states that it's illegal to drive faster that it is safe, and the speed limit only serves as prima facie evidence.

If the speed limit is 55 or higher (i.e. 55, 60, 65, or 70), then it's illegal to drive over the speed limit, regardless of whether or not it was safe to do so. If the speed limit is less than 55, then the law only states that it's illegal to drive faster that it is safe, and the speed limit only serves as prima facie evidence.

Random comment / question:

I have timed many Japanese vehicles, and they all seem to have their speedometers OVERREAD by 10%; e.g., driving 60 in a 55 zone is essentially driving at 55; 72 in a 65 zone is essentially 66.

[i timed the marked miles with a Rolex]. Anyone else ever notice this?

I've never figured it out: 25 years in Massachusetts, and two calls for jury duty. Got to The Box once, and was thrown out on first elimination by the defense. [The fact that a woman I worked with came into the box and said, "Hello, Doctor!" didn't help, I think.

I knew a woman who was on a Grand Jury for two years in Massachusetts, regarding the Big Dig in Boston. She said that they couldn't bring an indictment in that time because it is such one snakeball of graft and corruption.

Archived