Delta Airline’s “Delta One”

HardnThick
This topic is 2708 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone familiar with Delta’s “Delta One” class for international flights? How do they rate against other airlines’ business class?

Hey HardnThick ... FYI..."Delta One" was discussed here: http://www.companyofmen.org/threads/airline-loyalty-or-not.106675/page-2#post-990181

Post #32 and 33... with Dutchmuch providing a very informative link...http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2015/04/23/review-deltaone-757-new-york-jfk-to-los-angeles/

I have been flying DL business class SYD-LAX-SYD since they started. Just recently they have been calling it Delta One. Love the 1-2-1 seating. However, AA and Virgin Australia will give them competition with comparable seating soon.

My bitch with Delta One is that you are trying to get settled and the Purser starts bagging you for menu selection. For heaven's sake it is a 14 hour flight and we haven't even taken off as yet. Going again next Tuesday and it is a 12:10 flight. I guarantee you that by 4pm they will have served the meal and all lights out and shades down.

Food is good, but not as good as on the DL One from LAX-JFK. That menu was marvelous.

Took Virgin Australia once via a code share [2-3-2 seating] but what a nice change. Drinks served before take off. Then after take off, cocktails offered. Then they ask for menu selection. Much more leisurely. And they have a bar to sit at afterward, if so inclined. Another difference is that it a relative new airline, the attendants are roughly 30 years younger. DL attendant told me that it took 36 years seniority to get business class on the SYD-LAX-SYD run.

Enjoy Delta, but that serving rush ticks me off. VA next year when they go 1-2-1. Cheers!

• 9 months later...

th?&id=OIP.M0e5ae0706625a8b7c7d76e8d73fa298eo0&w=232&h=185&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Maybe, and maybe not. I suspect there is something else going on here...

The big computer systems that get airplanes, passengers and baggage to their destinations every day are having a bad summer.

Delta Air Lines experienced the latest debacle on Monday, when a failure of a piece of electrical equipment at one of its Atlanta facilities shut down its computer systems worldwide, starting a cascade of hundreds of canceled and delayed flights throughout the day.

A similar chain of events played out at Southwest Airlines three weeks earlier, when a single notebook-size router failed at a data center in Dallas, resulting in about 2,300 canceled flights over four days. The failure itself lasted only an hour, but it took 13 hours to reboot the carrier’s computer systems.

If I fly international I prefer to fly on Air Canada they have much better customer service than any US airlines and unless your flying direct its worth a lay over in Toronto or Vancouver. I have flown on them extensively and they are a delight I can't recommend them enough. Plus who doesn't like hot Canadian Flight Attendants?

I find these airline outages more than coincidental, possibly terrorists testing various options before a more broad attack.

More likely a by-product of recent mergers and ham-handed attempts to make disparate systems play nice together. Even with systems in tip-top condition this can be an iffy situation and most of the airline systems have a few years and more than a few patches on them.

I'd lay this on human error. Plain and simple.

Yesterday it was a 'power outage', then it changed to a 'computer outage' after the Atlanta Power people said there was no outage.

Hope you are correct Deej, and that it was human error. Boobery does happen.

Delta Warns of Chaos After Power Outage, Worldwide System Failure (8AUG)

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/delta-system-outage-triggers-delays-worldwide-n625141?cid=par-aff-gray

Delta Cancels More Flights in Wake of Computer-System Outage (9AUG)

If I fly international I prefer to fly on Air Canada they have much better customer service than any US airlines and unless your flying direct its worth a lay over in Toronto or Vancouver. I have flown on them extensively and they are a delight I can't recommend them enough. Plus who doesn't like hot Canadian Flight Attendants?

Hot Canadian flight attendants? Another reason then to allow foreign airlines to fly within the US. US airlines are terrible in comparison (service, airplane cleanliness, food, etc.) to foreign and I think competition would force them to improve. Canadian and other foreign airlines with hot flight attendants would be particularly welcome. maybe we should do the screening :)

You'd think they'd have back-up systems in place.

Bringing that online may be what caused it.

Most airline IT systems are much much older than you think.

By decades. A COO I worked for recently was infamous for pushing updates sooner than they were ready and asking "what could go wrong?"

Well, this. o_O

A COO I worked for recently was infamous for pushing updates sooner than they were ready and asking "what could go wrong?"

Sounds like our experience here yesterday. The census was held and for the first time it was supposed to be mainly on-line (five years ago, that was an option used by about 30% of respondents). At about 7.30pm it crashed and 30 hours later it hasn't been turned on again. The government and the ABS (Australian Bureau of Statistics, which runs the census) claim it was a foreign denial of service attack, but the consensus in IT circles is that the 'attack' was from most of the 20m people in the eastern time zone sitting down at their computers to fill in their forms after they'd finished their dinner.

Meanwhile some poor guy in California who had the misfortune to chose @abs as his twitter handle has copped a torrent of abuse.

• 2 weeks later...
dl has decent catering but small biz class seats. compared to aa or ua, if I'm paying for the seat, I'd go with better seat comfort over a plate of airliner food

Jumbo, if you fly on Private Jets, why in the world are you measuring seats and evaluating 'catering ' on Commercial?

Anyone familiar with Delta’s “Delta One” class for international flights? How do they rate against other airlines’ business class?

I fly Delta One to Europe. The list of amenities is quite good and the lay-flat beds are really flat. I'm 5'11" and have plenty of room leftover to stretch. The noise cancelling headphones work extremely well and the big-screen TVs make a difference. They also use the Westin linens and Tumi flight accessories which are nice touches I appreciate. I bank all my travel with Delta, so I can't contrast and compare that much, but I know it's not what the Middle Eastern airlines throw out there. However, I arrive quite rested and feeling nicely pampered.

• 4 months later...

Depends on the aircraft, I believe. I flew their 767 JFK-MAD-JFK about 18 months ago. Agree that the seat was a bit cramped and a little hard for my liking. Also, not really enough storage space. IFE was pretty good. Managed to sleep a little bit on the overnight to MAD. Was more comfortable for the daytime return flight though.

Archived