Nigerian Prince - Vegas

not2rowdy
This topic is 3175 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mostly just a heads up to other providers. But forum advice and comments are certainly welcome.

My Vegas massage therapist received a hire request that concerns me.

The person states he’s managing several dancers and looking to schedule massage sessions for all of them in about two weeks.

He has never met my therapist. Only contact has been by text.

He wants, in fact insists, paying in advance by credit card.

Wants my therapist to arrange a room for the sessions.

Does not seem at all receptive towards paying in cash at time of service.

Everything about this is suspicious.

A variation of the Nigerian Prince scheme.

I’ve advised him it’s a scam.

I see the credit card authorization being cancelled.

I see a physical danger situation to my therapist.

This sounds like a variation of the scam where someone pays an exorbitant sum above the standard fee and asks to have the difference wired back. I can see a stolen credit card being used here. Advise your therapist to run, not walk, away.

I got a bogus check in the mail once for half a million dollars, with instructions to deposit it in my trust account, keep $25K for my trouble and wire the rest to an account in China.

A young man I know was looking for a job and came across an ad for a local assistant to help a guy establish an office in San Diego. The guy wanted him to rent office space, tell him how much rent was, and accept a cashier's check for some ridiculous amount. My friend was to deduct the amount of rent plus expenses to set up the office plus a fee and wire back the difference within 72 hours to demonstrate he was serious. My friend even showed me the check! I walked him to a branch of the bank I work for and asked a manager to explain to him why this was a bad idea. When my friend protested that the guy was not a fraud, the manager suggested getting either a certified check (personal check that has been certified by the bank to have good funds available) or a wire transfer. He did so and never heard back from the guy.

Archived