A Rescued Bobcat Shows Appreciation

quoththeraven
This topic is 3248 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am always wary when I see or hear things regarding exotic pets. When something goes wrong, it is usually the animal that suffers when it is usually just a case of the animal being itself. Hopefully that bobcat will live out a full bobcat life without a tragedy intervening

That's not love. It's just marking the kid with it's scent to show ownership... maybe for later consumption. Lol!

Cats are very territorial. Marking someone as "his" (or hers) is love as far as a cat is concerned. It's also something they only do peaceably to those of whom they are fond.

I once lived with a cat who liked to groom my hair, which is pretty much the same thing. Unfortunately, I had to stop him every time because he would put a paw on top of my head (as in the video) and dig in with his claws. Those suckers hurt. Another cat velveted her paws so as not to hurt except when she meant it, but her teeth were her usual weapon of choice. She was also the most alpha of alpha cats I ever knew -- all ten pounds of her at her heaviest.

As for snakes in fur costs: the same cat reared her head back like a snake when she bit and attacked vacuum cleaner tubes (not the hoses, the metal tubes) until they fell apart. Then she looked pleased with herself.

Cats are very territorial. Marking someone as "his" (or hers) is love as far as a cat is concerned. It's also something they only do peaceably to those of whom they are fond....

'tis true. Different cats have different ways of marking their people as their territory. The Scottish Folds I acquired when they were three would mark me by rubbing against my leg. The former feral marked me and everything I touched by drooling on me and the things I touched. Sweet, but disgusting. The kittens didn't really mark anything, but they certainly would sprawl over me.

I once lived with a cat who liked to groom my hair, which is pretty much the same thing...

My cat Willy would groom my hair (when I had hair). After I started shaving my head, he started grooming the hair on my arms. In addition to grooming my hair, he would come up and lick my face!

As for snakes in fur costs: the same cat reared her head back like a snake when she bit and attacked vacuum cleaner tubes (not the hoses, the metal tubes) until they fell apart. Then she looked pleased with herself.

In the 1980's I used to play "hair dryer" with my cat. I would point the hair dryer at him and he would back off. Then he would bat it with his paw for a few minutes and back off again. The batting/backing would last for several minutes until I would turn it off. At that point, he would sit on it and look pleased that he killed it.

I am always wary when I see or hear things regarding exotic pets. When something goes wrong, it is usually the animal that suffers when it is usually just a case of the animal being itself. Hopefully that bobcat will live out a full bobcat life without a tragedy intervening

I'm pretty sure bobcats and domestic cats (who are descended from the African wildcat, a breed that still exists) are capable of mating, which suggests they may be capable of domestication. But it's a good point. I don't know what the requirements are (and they vary state to state) as far as needing a license as an animal rehabilitator to keep a bobcat. Unless there's something in the notes on YouTube, we don't know whether the kid's family has that kind of background or not.

Few years back in LA, one of my co-workers had a Bobcat as a pet. It was in Burbank, so not sure of the city ordinances, but it had the run of the place, including the house all of the time. I just never could quite understand his need to keep such a thing. It was clearly wary of me, and so we never bonded, which was fine by me. :eek:

Evil video. EVIL VIDEO.

Now I have to go coax my two cats out from under the bed where they went to hide after hearing those big cats roaring!

Aww, poor babies. My cats always responded nicely to dried chicken or tuna treats.

Archived