Favorite (and Least Favorite) Gay-Themed Movies

quoththeraven
This topic is 3035 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

ANYONE REMEMBER?? I'm trying NOT to google lol) Late 60's, basically a GAY "Who Afraid Of Vifginia Wolf" with two middle aged HUGE stars Richard Burton and Rex Harrison as an aging long-together battling gay couple living in England, one a men's hair dresser. (I think Burton's character still wasn't even "out" to his elderly mum etc) I remember they played it VERY over the top and though ground-breaking for such big starts to play lovers it wasn't a hit. TITLE??

Staircase:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staircase_(film)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"My problem with most gay movies (that is, where the lead character(s) and main storyline are gay, as opposed to, for example, a film like "Clueless," where one of the supporting characters is gay) is that they tend to be second-rate sh*t"

That is not the case with Pedro Almodovar's excellent film "Bad Education." The main character is gay and the other important character, played by hunk Gael Garcia Bernal, pretends to be gay to the extend of getting screwed. The film clip above gives you brief idea of the story. It's an excellent film. I was surprised there was not much more talk about the movie when it was released in 2004.

OMG has anyone mentioned this yet am I the FIRST lol?? "History Boys"????? SUCH a great movie. (ok not TOTS gay-themed but a gay storyline and "openminded" str8 HS stud etc etc.) I saw the play too and the film is even better I think.

More than 6 pages and not one shout out for Angels in America. Hardly a feel good movie. More a "How did I survive movie" for many. So many aspects of gay life richly explored. Life. Death. Love. Death. Self-loathing. Denial. Acceptance. Forgiveness. So much more. No wonder it takes about a week to watch it. And I realize it may be considered by some to be a miniseries rather than movie, but it seems to me that this is the quintessential representation of life as a gay man in the 1970s and 1980s.

Rob, loved the Wedding Banquet

More than 6 pages and not one shout out for Angels in America. Hardly a feel good movie. More a "How did I survive movie" for many. So many aspects of gay life richly explored. Life. Death. Love. Death. Self-loathing. Denial. Acceptance. Forgiveness. So much more. No wonder it takes about a week to watch it. And I realize it may be considered by some to be a miniseries rather than movie, but it seems to me that this is the quintessential representation of life as a gay man in the 1970s and 1980s.

Rob, loved the Wedding Banquet

OUR bad!!! Or at least MY bad, in that I've been mentioning flicks that aroused my curiousity (or aroused me lol) as opposed to MOVED me. This is DEF the Gay Gone With The Wind an amazing sweeping piece hurts the brain to think about HOW he even went about writing this! I only saw one part of it on the stage in LA, and the movie of course. And, admittedly had a boner for Prior, Justin Kirk, ever since Love Valor Compassion. (he had a short lived TV comedy here in NYC used to see him walking, usually with a woman, kinda felt he might be gay but don't think he is) PS re Love Valor, though I thought Jason Alexander did a good job, I saw it on the stage here and sorry, Nathan Lane was BORN to play that character :-) Re Angels, anyone who hasn't Read Citizen Cohn the bio of Roy, should. It a great insight into this horrible little man. (played fantastically by Pacino I thought)

OUR bad!!! Or at least MY bad, in that I've been mentioning flicks that aroused my curiousity (or aroused me lol) as opposed to MOVED me. This is DEF the Gay Gone With The Wind an amazing sweeping piece hurts the brain to think about HOW he even went about writing this! I only saw one part of it on the stage in LA, and the movie of course. And, admittedly had a boner for Prior, Justin Kirk, ever since Love Valor Compassion. (he had a short lived TV comedy here in NYC used to see him walking, usually with a woman, kinda felt he might be gay but don't think he is) PS re Love Valor, though I thought Jason Alexander did a good job, I saw it on the stage here and sorry, Nathan Lane was BORN to play that character :) Re Angels, anyone who hasn't Read Citizen Cohn the bio of Roy, should. It a great insight into this horrible little man. (played fantastically by Pacino I thought)

http://ichikiwir.com/hocky/play.php?movie=0103973 Citizen Cohn on Youtube....

And, admittedly had a boner for Prior, Justin Kirk, ever since Love Valor Compassion. (he had a short lived TV comedy here in NYC used to see him walking, usually with a woman, kinda felt he might be gay but don't think he is) PS re Love Valor, though I thought Jason Alexander did a good job, I saw it on the stage here and sorry, Nathan Lane was BORN to play that character :)

Agree about Justin Kirk and Nathan Lane. I saw every New York City play with Justin Kirk for a couple of years. I was concentrating on Justin so much, I missed how good the other cast meembers were, such as Donald Sutherland, Denis O'Hare and Juliana Margulies in "Ten Unknowns" at Loncoln Center.

The Bubble is quite good. Funny thing, the actor who plays the Palestinian character applied as a worker to the coffeeshop that features prominently in this film. They didn't hire him. He gets his revenge:

we really liked...Out In The Dark...http://www.netflix.com/watch/70261109?trackId=13475840&tctx=0%252C0%252C4f41b0d9-2d30-4b23-9628-2121b9262bd4-19233659

My problem with most gay movies (that is, where the lead character(s) and main storyline are gay, as opposed to, for example, a film like "Clueless," where one of the supporting characters is gay) is that they tend to be second-rate sh*t: poor acting, lousy contrived script, shoddy production values, etc. One of the worst examples of this, and therefore my nominee for "Worst Gay Movie Ever" is "Mulligans," a story of two best friends - one gay, one straight - and the gay friend's burgeoning romance with his gay best buddy's father. OMG, I almost PUKED!! The list of reasons "Mulligans" was absolutely fecal is almost too long to delve into, but for starters: 1) the actors are lousy - wooden, awful amateurs (the guy who played the dad was at least uber-hot, though);

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/images/publications/wct/2008-11-05/DSC_0164-DanPayne.jpg

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/images/publications/wct/2008-11-05/DSC_0164-DanPayne.jpg

I have to admit, "The Mulligans" was pretty dreadful, and just not believable at all, but yes, the dad was hot, and he drove a Porsche, so what the Hell, I powered through till the end. ;)

Which brings me to my favorite gay movie: "Plata Quemada" ("Burnt Money"). It's my favorite gay movie, even though I didn't absolutely love the movie itself (so damn depressing!). But everything about "Plata Quemada" is top-notch: the director's lurid compositions, the tango/pop soundtrack, the tragic script based on a true story, the dialogue, and the talented and professional cast. Most of all, the actors who play the leads are two of the most talented in Spanish-language cinema. Noriega and Sbaraglia have each been nominated twice for the Goya (the Spanish Oscar), with Sbaraglia winning in 2002 for most promising newcomer.

+10 Plata Quemada!!

Kevin Slater mentioned Angels in America, in the second post of this thread. :)

Rob

you are correct though I think this film deserves to have more of a mention than being part of a list. It really is a masterwork with great performances and it touches just about every tender point in the psyche of anyone involved with AID s in the 70's and 80's.

I just saw Geography Club, a sweet coming of age story. It stars the very dreamy Justin Deeley and Cameron Deane Stewart, who's also quite handsome. They're playing high school seniors, although Deeley was 27 at the time of filming, and Stewart was 22 (typical that high school students are portrayed by actors well into their 20s). I have a string on Justin Deeley in the gallery that was recently revived (not by myself). He is really, really handsome. Here are the two stars together:

http://media-addict.hu/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Geography-Club-cute-02.jpg

There's no nudity or sex in the movie, although there are some lip kissing scenes. I'm not going to do a string on CDS, but this is what he looks like:

980bb709e62a8d50ccbc75d136b7ccbe.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived