Male Stewards

wisconsinguy
This topic is 3291 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My life is in a period of major changes. I was just sitting down to chill. This just popped up into busy little mind. Do you think there are any straight male stewards. You know, on those planes?
Sure there are. Straights are everywhere and they are there when you do not expect them to be. They are there in the stall next to you at a gay bar. They are doing the highlights on the fashionista next to you at the salon. They are doing the floral arrangements at the lesbian wedding and using flannel as a color. There are straight men getting $1 bills pushed into the jockstrap while dancing to House music. They are on the Supreme Court of the United States passing Marriage Equality Laws. There is a straight soldier in the fox hole next to your boyfriend's brother's boyfriend. There are straights in the confessional booth giving you penance for lustful thoughts. And god knows, there are straight stewards on Airlines all around the globe. As god is my witness, I will never question the ability of straight men to do the work that straight women and gay men do at only 1.5 times the pay.

The only place you will not find straight men, is in my bed. But don't look under it cause that is where I tell them to hide when someone is looking for them.

From the Flight Attendant Life blog:

"The airline industry is one of stereotypes, majorities, and minorities. One of those minorities being heterosexual males. Straight male flight attendants exist, but it isn't expected. I am disappointed when I hear feedback from some of my straight male friends that say they have thought about working as a flight attendant, but have brushed the thought aside due to stereotypes. I believe that everyone is entitled to their choice of sexual orientation, and people should feel accepted in the environments that they find themselves in."

I have been friends with a married couple for about 5 years, she worked in the film industry, he was a flight attendant for Air France for many years. They have two adolescent kids, and my Gaydar has never detected a hint of mint where he was concerned.

Being straight is a choice

Just like they decided to become a flight attendant

I certainly understand stereotypes related to professions. I was one of three males in a class of 35 in nursing school. When I told my mother I wanted to be a nurse. She said, "Oh honey, why don't you be a plumber?" It still happens today that people will say, "Oh, your a male nurse?" I finally come back with. "Well, let me check. I'll check my pants. Yup, still a male. And yes, still a nurse." I know that to this day that males in nursing brings up a lot of questions to general public.

From the Flight Attendant Life blog:

" I believe that everyone is entitled to their choice of sexual orientation, and people should feel accepted in the environments that they find themselves in."

Oh that's excellent. I've been gay long enough. It's getting to be old hat. I think tomorrow starting bright and early I'll choose to be straight. :p

Gman

I certainly understand stereotypes related to professions. I was one of three males in a class of 35 in nursing school. When I told my mother I wanted to be a nurse. She said, "Oh honey, why don't you be a plumber?" It still happens today that people will say, "Oh, your a male nurse?" I finally come back with. "Well, let me check. I'll check my pants. Yup, still a male. And yes, still a nurse." I know that to this day that males in nursing brings up a lot of questions to general public.

In a three-and-a-half-month hospitalization, I found the male nurses to be ... comforting.

I needed an NG tube. WE awaited the surgical Resident. He was the resident who had put my previous NG tube in, in a previous hospitalization.

The Tube went in in about 20 seconds, tops. The nurse remarked:" I've never seen one go in so easily!"

I said, "Oh, we've had a lot of practice ..."

It's all changing. My mother was hospitalized a few years ago. The nursing staff was still overwhelmingly female, but male nurses were far from being rare, at least at this in this place (Emory in Atlanta). Of the male nurses with which I came into contact, I thought that most of them were straight.

When I travel, even though most of the male flight attendants appear to be gay, a surprising number of them appear not to be gay.

Archived