oliver sacks

drintor
This topic is 3299 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Funny thing--there was a wonderful piece by Dr. Sachs in last week's The New Yorker (April 27, 2015) about the actor Spaulding Gray's life and death after his automobile collision, and then yesterday I am reading this weekend's edition of The Wall Street Journal and there is the picture of this hot guy on a motorcycle in the book review section, and it's him!! I have been reading Dr. Sach's stories for years, but I never knew he was gay or anything else about his life. He talks in the new book about finding love at age 77--wow! The book is On the Move and was released last week; here is a link to the Vanity Fair article:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2015/04/oliver-sacks-autobiography-before-cancer?mbid=social_twitter

I'm very sad to hear this. Sachs is a gifted storyteller who made abstruse areas of neurology accessible to general readers. This is first I've heard of his being gay; it's great to hear that he fell in love recently, and with an intellectual equal.

re ;'intellectual equal'

doesn't really matter does it? when you fall in love , you fall in love.

That's true. And many people fall in love with someone who complements rather than mirrors them. I just though that a man that brilliant would enjoy being with someone who could appreciate his intellect and vice versa.

There's a fascinating, long review of his memoir in the weekend edition of the Financial Times. I too have enjoyed his books. As the reviewer noted, it's sad that he admits to having no sex for 35 years (after a two-week fling at the age of 40)!

Men that brilliant have lots of sycophants, intellectual admirers,mental stimulation etc, what they probably need and want most is good physical contact, if they can get over their psychological issues

This calls to mind the gratification that the married (to a woman) John Cheever found in a late-life affair with a much younger man, making diary entries such as "I came in his throat today, twice."

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/oct/18/john-cheever-blake-bailey

Archived