What happens when str8 guys see photos of shirtless Abercrombie models?

FreshFluff
This topic is 3252 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

No, not that. :) Here's the Huffington Post's description of a clever study.

Men compete with each other over all kinds of things, from cars to sports to physical stature. And, as it turns out, straight men also try to one-up other guys (especially more attractive ones) by taking bigger risks.

In a new Australian study, straight dudes took bigger money risks after being shown pictures of shirtless male Abercrombie & Fitch models.

"Men want to appear more desirable to women, and having more money is one way to do so,"one of the study's authors, Australian psychologist Eugene Chan, explained to New Scientist. "Taking financial risks is one quick way to get more money, even if it might not be a sure thing."

In an experiment conducted on 820 men and women, participants were shown pictures of male Abercrombie models, female models or "average" people. They were then given the choice of getting $100, or taking a bet where they had a 90% chance of getting nothing and a 10% chance of getting $1,000.

Straight men who looked at the photos of Abercrombie models were more likely to choose the riskier bet. This effect was particularly pronounced among men who were in a "mating mindset."

You can read the rest here.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/21/men-take-bigger-risks-whe_n_7103652.html?cps=gravity_1787_-6575116115042192565

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Interesting as usual. My youngest son who lives with me, and knows EVERYTHING about me asked me this question. "Do you think a person, if a person declares themselves completely heterosexual or homosexual, is 100% that way, or is there a spectrum they fall into? I immediately came back with I believe it is a scale/spectrum. As my usual simple example I gave him this: If you are on a beach with your girlfriend, and this gorgeous guy walks buy. He's tanned, buff, toned, all the above. You think to yourself: Wow, he really looks fantastic. He must really take care of himself. As he walks by you in his thong, with the best bubble butt ever. Is this just envy, or just a hint of something else? Just a hint mind you, I believe we live on a sexual spectrum. I am expecting an "announcement" one of these days from him.

kinsey-scale.png?w=645&h=231

It would be interested what their standards were for the classification. What did Clinton say? "I did not have sexual relationships with that women." I also read what I think was the "Stark" report investigation. He also said it was not sexual relations because he did not cum in her mouth. He jerked off in the sink. My question/point is. The definition of sexual expression has taken on different avenues and definitions. It's is not just intercourse. I think the graph would have to be enhanced today. I'm sure on this scale, Clinton would be exclusively heterosexual behavior. There was a group of college kids from an Ivy League college that were interviewed after the Clinton thing. When the were asked about the "not having sexual relationships with that women." The all chuckled. I think they all said indeed it was a sexual relationship.

Interesting as usual. My youngest son who lives with me, and knows EVERYTHING about me asked me this question. "Do you think a person, if a person declares themselves completely heterosexual or homosexual, is 100% that way, or is there a spectrum they fall into? I immediately came back with I believe it is a scale/spectrum. As my usual simple example I gave him this: If you are on a beach with your girlfriend, and this gorgeous guy walks buy. He's tanned, buff, toned, all the above. You think to yourself: Wow, he really looks fantastic. He must really take care of himself. As he walks by you in his thong, with the best bubble butt ever. Is this just envy, or just a hint of something else? Just a hint mind you, I believe we live on a sexual spectrum. I am expecting an "announcement" one of these days from him.

Speaking for myself mind you, I know where I fall on that scale, and I can say with absolute certainty that there are people out there that are/can be 100% homosexual. That being said, I also believe we are all sexual beings and where we fall on that scale/spectrum, might vary greatly, for others not so much.

It would be interested what their standards were for the classification. What did Clinton say? "I did not have sexual relationships with that women." I also read what I think was the "Stark" report investigation. He also said it was not sexual relations because he did not cum in her mouth. He jerked off in the sink. My question/point is. The definition of sexual expression has taken on different avenues and definitions. It's is not just intercourse. I think the graph would have to be enhanced today. I'm sure on this scale, Clinton would be exclusively heterosexual behavior. There was a group of college kids from an Ivy League college that were interviewed after the Clinton thing. When the were asked about the "not having sexual relationships with that women." The all chuckled. I think they all said indeed it was a sexual relationship.

It's also a matter of interest, not just behavior. Even though I'm attracted to some (a few) women, sex with women isn't likely to happen because my interest is incidental and sexual rather than relational and romantic. I prefer to avoid the potential for sexual tension with female friends and just enjoy their company.

Also, being sexual with men requires less effort. (Given female anatomy and sex-shaming, I can easily understand the concept of lesbian bed death.) I'm more likely to keep going down the path of least resistance. That may make me look like a Kinsey 0, but I'm not.

It's also a matter of interest, not just behavior. Even though I'm attracted to some (a few) women, sex with women isn't likely to happen because my interest is incidental and sexual rather than relational and romantic. I prefer to avoid the potential for sexual tension with female friends and just enjoy their company.

Also, being sexual with men requires less effort. (Given female anatomy and sex-shaming, I can easily understand the concept of lesbian bed death.) I'm more likely to keep going down the path of least resistance. That may make me look like a Kinsey 0, but I'm not.

Thanks Raven, I re-read my post, and I tended to come off babbling. First, of course there are are those that strictly gay/straight. But, if the graph were done today, as I said, I believe there would be more descriptions. Especially from both ends of the graph.

Speaking for myself mind you, I know where I fall on that scale, and I can say with absolute certainty that there are people out there that are/can be 100% homosexual. That being said, I also believe we are all sexual beings and where we fall on that scale/spectrum, might vary greatly, for others not so much.

Of course I agree. For whatever reason this popped into my mind, and it made me chuckle. Remember decades ago when "homosexual" was just starting to be part of discussions? There was an even an evolution of the gay word. When we talk about knowing people that are 100% one way or the other, I'm sure we know many. Here are some of the comments I remember from that time, a little humor. Please chime in if you remember anymore.

1) "He can't be homosexual. He's married and has kids."

2) "I work with a guy who is homosexual, and he's nice to everyone, and does a good job."

3) "I hear they want to be a woman."

4) "He's gay because his dad was not strong."

5) " He's gay because he was raised by his mother."

6) " I always thought he was 'different.'

7) "He likes playing with dolls rather than football."

8) "He sings in all those musicals."

9) "Went to prom with his mom. Couldn't get a date."

10)"He wears all those tight clothes. Shows way too much." WG2

Thanks Raven, I re-read my post, and I tended to come off babbling. First, of course there are are those that strictly gay/straight. But, if the graph were done today, as I said, I believe there would be more descriptions. Especially from both ends of the graph.

I agree, actually. I was commenting more for everyone else's benefit. Just looking at my daughter and her friends makes it clear that kids today see wider possibilities. Her closest friend now is agender and my daughter is asexual aromantic. It may well be that is more a matter of comfort than her inherent orientation, but so what? If staying away from the challenges of romantic relationships makes her happier (see ChrisE's post on how decoupling sex from relationships has helped him discover his own sexuality), who am I to complain?

(Btw, she's back in touch with the boy who broke her heart by breaking up with her after a relationship of close to 2 years. After that, she had a long-distance girlfriend of another 2 years or more whom she saw in person twice while also communicating with her via Skype and internet with whom she broke up within the last year.)

And you guys think I'm complicated with my cisgender body and identification and my bigender/multigender outlook. Ha!

Notice all the gender stereotypes in those examples of small-minded comments above? There's a reason for that!

When gay men get all wrapped up in reinforcing a gender binary that hurts them, I start wondering about consistency and hypocrisy. That works both ways: preference for "masc men," whatever that may be, or in terms of gendered putdowns, like calling someone girly or putting flower crowns and lipstick on politicians you don't like and believe to be closeted when you'd defend a drag queen's right to do the same thing.

This one I actually heard while talking with my neighbors yesterday.

"You know their son just graduated from beauty school, so what does tell you" (two of the people in the group rolled their eyes) then looked at me, suddenly realizing that I might be, oh I don't know, a little offended maybe...lol...My comment back started with, "What the Hell is wrong with you people..." and went down hill from there. :D

This one I actually heard while talking with my neighbors yesterday.

"You know their son just graduated from beauty school, so what does tell you" (two of the people in the group rolled their eyes) then looked at me, suddenly realizing that I might be, oh I don't know, a little offended maybe...lol...My comment back started with, "What the Hell is wrong with you people..." and went down hill from there. :D

GFU!!! It is still going to take awhile!

But what do you really think. :p

I absolutely adore my neighbors. 70+ and all retired New Yorkers, who are very opinionated, about everything, so I get it... but they also know when they have fucked up. It was fun watching them trying to pull their foot out of their mouth. One baked me a pineapple upside-down cake, and one baked me lasagna. :D

And one more!

"He sure does walk, (or talk) funny."

The word funny has been used a bit describing behavior. Maybe we should have all become clowns!?!

When someone says "he walks funny" they don't mean he walks like Jerry Lewis. They mean he walks different (from us).

It's the kind of language seen in recent weeks where shooters say "he had that walk, like they do". You know, "they", not *US*. It's marginalization and descrimination by stereotype whether describing a hairdresser or a linebacker.

Archived