What happens when str8 guys see photos of shirtless Abercrombie models?

FreshFluff
This topic is 3247 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When someone says "he walks funny" they don't mean he walks like Jerry Lewis. They mean he walks different (from us).

It's the kind of language seen in recent weeks where shooters say "he had that walk, like they do". You know, "they", not *US*. It's marginalization and descrimination by stereotype whether describing a hairdresser or a linebacker.

I realize the original intent of the putdown is to say that the person described sashays or is swishy (itself is code for "sways his hips like a woman"), but it could also mean "walks like he's just been fucked." Which leads me to this question: Is that really a phenomenon (walking funny afterward), or is it just a metaphor? While I have some personal experience with the subject, I also realize my experience is not universal.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shortly after I'd come out to my family, we were all at my sister's for dinner. My father was telling a story and referred to a woman as "dyke-y". My older sister looked at him aghast, she didn't call him out specifically but said something like "really?", or "you didn't just say that!". My father had no clue what she was getting at.

Then again, years later, this sister's oldest son said something was "gay". I said "Please don't use that word that way", and she jumped to his defense.

Shortly after I'd come out to my family, we were all at my sister's for dinner. My father was telling a story and referred to a woman as "dyke-y". My older sister looked at him aghast, she didn't call him out specifically but said something like "really?", or "you didn't just say that!". My father had no clue what she was getting at.

Then again, years later, this sister's oldest son said something was "gay". I said "Please don't use that word that way", and she jumped to his defense.

Assuming he wasn't referring to a small bunch if flowers, or someone's brightly printed clothing, the sister needs a good slap, assuming he's old enough to understand prejudice and bigotry.

I wouldn't be too surprised at that comment at in 1975. Wasn't it only 1973 that they removed Homosexuality from the DSM, the listing of all mental illnesses? (I'm probably using wildly inaccurate terms, I'm no doctor - I just watch medical dramas, and listen to NPR occasionally).

I was a sophomore in high school in 1975, and homosexuality was a scare topic amongst my peers.

My shrink (MD psychiatrist) told me in 1994 that long after it came off the list of disorders, there remained -- even then in the '90s -- a lot of dinosaurs among psychiatrists and psychologists who really didn't accept that.

Archived