Lost cat, part "n"

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3453 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For those readers who have read earlier, my cat CHarlie is still MIA. I'm prepared, as much as I shall be, to declare him dead and move on to The NExt Cat.

Question, though: As I got charlie as a "rescue" cat (I got him before his owner sent him off to some pound), I don't know the process.

More importantly, I don't know how to choose the cat that's right 4 me. I've been told it will be obvious, and to choose the cat who pats attention to me.

Ptjer question: SOme have suggested that I get a pair of cats who have already pre-bonded at the shelter. I think this is a great idea.

All opinions and comments will be thoroughly appreciated!

The process is pretty straightforward. You go to the shelter, meet the animals, and if you select one you pay a nominal fee and take the beastie home.

The animals do have a way of letting you know. Cats, in particular, will DEFINITELY let you know if they don't like you. You probably won't want to live with those ones.

Plan on spending plenty of time in the selection process, and it doesn't have to be all in one day. It can be an immediate "click" but it doesn't have to be.

A lot of shelters have websites that answer process questions as well as providing photos (mugshots, really) of the animals on offer so you can get an idea in advance but don't get too wrapped up in that. I reviewed the dog pictures and had completely ruled out my little buddy based on his photo (again, a mugshot). When I met him he laid down on my feet with his feet in the air waiting for a belly rub. Hook. Line. Sinker.

You will know when it's right.

If the two cats have bonded either by coming to the shelter together or being in the same enclosure in the shelter, taking both is a considerate and kind thing to do for the animals. if you select out one cat and decide that he or she should have a buddy at home, you can get the shelter employees to bring out other compatible cats. At times, the shelter will reduce the fees if you take more than one.

Great good luck with you new friends and do not despair, Charlie may reappear. You suspected he had another home and if the weather is cold there, the other family may not be letting him out.

Gallahad, I know what you're going through and I am keeping you in my thoughts.

I had to say goodbye to my former cat in May 2010 - she was 16, which is pretty good for a cat, but still, it was very tough - it was a very sudden illness (at least in terms of outward symptoms) and she was put to sleep at the vet's less than 24 hours after I realized she was ailing. I have a friend who took very good care of me that day, and she offered to take me to the MSPCA shelter if I wanted to go. I was in that odd state where I wasn't sure if I really wanted to think about a new cat yet, and yet I wasn't sure if I could be without one either. So we went. I looked at many of the kittens there, and spent some time with this wonderful 1-year-old cat who just seemed rather special. I went on to look at others after her, but when I passed by her cage the next time, she let out a huge meow and seemed to reach her paw out to me. That did it. SHE picked ME...and she's been a happy part of my life ever since.

To misquote Tennessee Williams, "Sometimes, there's cat, so quickly..." :)

It is often hard to let our feelings for our former pets go...I still have very fond, warm, and silly memories of my former cat. But I also can't envision not having my current one. As with anything else in life, we find ways to move on when we have to. And with so many sheltered or abandoned animals out there, giving one a loving home is one of the greatest things we can do.

For those readers who have read earlier, my cat CHarlie is still MIA. I'm prepared, as much as I shall be, to declare him dead and move on to The NExt Cat.

Question, though: As I got charlie as a "rescue" cat (I got him before his owner sent him off to some pound), I don't know the process.

More importantly, I don't know how to choose the cat that's right 4 me. I've been told it will be obvious, and to choose the cat who pats attention to me.

Ptjer question: SOme have suggested that I get a pair of cats who have already pre-bonded at the shelter. I think this is a great idea.

All opinions and comments will be thoroughly appreciated!

My beloved cat passed away at age 21 in 2013. I have another cat, who was feral when I adopted her from the vet, but I wanted to get a kitten. I looked at several kittens at a handful of shelters and several rescue adoption events but none of them seemed like the right fit. Then I saw a cute little grey kitten on a rescue's web site and made an appointment to see him. He was one of six kittens and one of two grey ones. He was the only one who didn't protest when I picked him up and the other grey one (a girl) just hopped up on my lap and started purring. As I write this eight months later, the little grey girl is on my lap and the little boy is curled up on the sofa. They are great cats and keep each other amused. The former feral is not as enamored of them as I am, but she is coping.

While I am sure everyone is letting out a collective "awwww" right now, that story does not answer your question. Here are a couple of pointers that will:

• Take a look a your local Petco or PetSmart. They often partner with rescues and have adoptable cats at the store.
  • Spend time interacting with the cats. It was obvious from playing with the litter of kittens that my little cats were the right ones for me. It was also obvious which ones would NOT be right for me.
  • If you visit an adoption event, chat up the people working the event. Try to gauge whether they are running adoptable cats through the mill. There is one in LA that was pushing two kittens on me. The kittens obviously did not like me and I did not like them. Nonetheless, the woman working the event was pressuring me to take the cats.
  • Two cats are no more trouble than one, especially when they have bonded. They will adjust to their new home more easily because they have each other and will amuse themselves and you in the process.
  • Make more than one visit, if you can.
  • Ask your veterinarian if they know of any kittens or cats who need a home. Sometimes, the vets and techs will foster litters and have pre-socialized kittens to adopt out.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions or need some advice.

The petfinder site is a good place to start. Everyone is different, I know, but I spent quite a bit of time searching for cats on petfinder before I developed an interest in a few. Then I went out to the shelters hosting the ones I thought I might like, and I checked things out. I did end up adopting one of the ones from my short list.

https://www.petfinder.com/

I was only interested in adopting a cat that had already been declawed. The online search was a great help in that regard.

I'd like to advocate for getting an adult cat -- at least a year old. Not only are they less likely to be adopted, their personalities are formed and the shelter and information from former owners should give you a good picture of the cat's personality and behavior, whereas with kittens what you're getting in the way of behavior and personality may be a bit of a crap shoot.

Gallahad, I know what you're going through and I am keeping you in my thoughts.

I had to say goodbye to my former cat in May 2010 - she was 16, which is pretty good for a cat, but still, it was very tough - it was a very sudden illness (at least in terms of outward symptoms) and she was put to sleep at the vet's less than 24 hours after I realized she was ailing. I have a friend who took very good care of me that day, and she offered to take me to the MSPCA shelter if I wanted to go. I was in that odd state where I wasn't sure if I really wanted to think about a new cat yet, and yet I wasn't sure if I could be without one either. So we went. I looked at many of the kittens there, and spent some time with this wonderful 1-year-old cat who just seemed rather special. I went on to look at others after her, but when I passed by her cage the next time, she let out a huge meow and seemed to reach her paw out to me. That did it. SHE picked ME...and she's been a happy part of my life ever since.

To misquote Tennessee Williams, "Sometimes, there's cat, so quickly..." :)

It is often hard to let our feelings for our former pets go...I still have very fond, warm, and silly memories of my former cat. But I also can't envision not having my current one. As with anything else in life, we find ways to move on when we have to. And with so many sheltered or abandoned animals out there, giving one a loving home is one of the greatest things we can do.

B'man, I'm sorry for your loss, especially within the 24 hours. Oftentimes, I think we treat our fellow humans far worse than our animal friens. Thank you for your kind words. It would be SO much easier if I had closure, even if it were euthanasia / natural death / trauma. He just went about a 0200 and never returned.

I cry less. I think about cats to adopt (yes, plural). Charlie was the product of a broken relationship between someone I'd hired and his lover [the cat was his lover's]. The ex-lover said "I'm so glad you found a place for Charlie for me." The response: "I didn't do it for YOU, I did it for Charlie".

I'm learning that: It's not my fault that he ran away. I can do nothing beyond what I've done to get him back. He may show up at sometime, or not.

It doesn't help that I lost a buddy of mine, [wet dream: 6'4", 250, firefight, and ex-Army] who decided to fall off the face of the earth, this year. Or that two (2) of my friends died within the past year.

Or that my personal trainer abandoned me (although, in retrospect, that was probably a good thing). Or that I'm fighting for my disability insurance.

When will the pain stop?

Correction: I *had* another cat who was feral when I adopted her...

...I had to say goodbye to my former cat in May 2010 - she was 16, which is pretty good for a cat, but still, it was very tough - it was a very sudden illness (at least in terms of outward symptoms) and she was put to sleep at the vet's less than 24 hours after I realized she was ailing...

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your sudden loss. A similar thing happened to one of my cats in 2005. She was fine in the morning and when I got home from work I found she developed a blood clot which lodged in her hind quarters, was hemorrhaging, and was paralyzed from her butt down. She had to be put to sleep that night.

...I have another cat, who was feral when I adopted her from the vet..

Since I wrote this reply, my household went from three cats down to two. I had to put the former feral to sleep last Wednesday. She was on thyroid medication, which she stopped taking from me, was vomiting, could no longer jump, and had lost two pounds in three weeks. Vet visits were traumatic for her, so I consulted with the vet over the phone. We agreed that treatment would be impossible given she would hide under the bed and I had to remove the mattress and foundation in order to get her out. Hopefully, in her next life she will have a home from the time she is a kitten and learn to receive love and be a pet.

...I cry less. I think about cats to adopt (yes, plural)...

Glad to hear you are starting to recover from the grief of losing Charlie. It takes time. Also glad you are thinking about adopting two cats. Two cats are just as easy as one. When the time is right they will present themselves.

One additional piece of advice. If an adult cat interests you, ask how the rescue acquired the cat. If they trapped a feral and are attempting to adopt it out, take a pass. Feral cats simply don't grow out of their feral behavior. They run, hide, and never learn to behave like pets.

Gallahad, I'm so sorry your cat wasn't found. He was the Scottish fold, right? I remember that you PM'd me about him; I could tell you were really close to him. Have you considered looking at cats in Fold rescue orgs?

Now there is a Kitty Cafe / Purr Parlor in NYC, check it out Gallahadesquire!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/nyregion/cat-cafe-offers-a-place-to-snuggle-with-reservations.html?_r=1

I've been waiting for one of these to open in the US. But reservations are required, there's a 60-day wait list for a reservation, and they only accept bookings 60 days in advances. So ou need to log in at midnight to get spots 60 days hence. If the wait list is simply a stunt to create hype, it's a very carefully thought-out one. A few hours after midnight, the after-work hours for March 17th had already been taken, leaving only the earlier hours. It shouldn't be surprising that people are willing to wait months and pay $4 her half hour to cuddle with beautiful, exotic kittens. ;)

Perhaps the cuter ones will be issues a Bugattis and their own condos?

I hope this photo means that you have brought this beautiful creature into your life. If so, congratulations. If it isn't too late, I too would recommend a second cat - they generally work well together - keep you and each other company. Sounds like a win-win to me. Happy Ne Year to you both.

Just to see what I'm dealing with: this photo is a Charlie wannabee:

?bust=1420328351&width=632&no_scale_up=1

If you're having a hard time deciding, another possible way to look at it would be from the cat's point of view and find the one that most needs you. You can't always tell ahead of time if you'll click with a pet, but you can have the pleasure of knowing you made its life a much happier one. And that alone could make your life much happier. Just another point of view.

Our cat showed up mewing at the front door one rainy night, and stayed for ten happy years.

If you're having a hard time deciding' date=' another possible way to look at it would be from the cat's point of view and find the one that most needs [i']you[/i].

I took in a stray cat (year old) that a friend found at a construction site in the middle of nowhere during a very cold January.

The poor car had clearly suffered in the cold, and was always afraid when people visited. I remember being away for two weeks stortly after he came to stay. He was used to be abandoned, and was shocked when I actually returned.

I remember that he put both paws on my face to make sure that I was real.

He (Simba) lived to be seventeen, and I spent his last day with him. Simba did more for me than I do for him, so I was not sad when he died...just so greatful that he was part of my life for so many years!

Awwwwwwww. Fresh Fluff mentioned Scottish Fold. If you are interested in another Fold, and who wouldn't want another Fold, there is a Scottish Fold rescue organization:

http://scottishfoldrescue.homestead.com/

Another option is to adopt a Fold whose breeder has "retired" him or her. Here's a link to a site that lists breeders:

http://www.breedlist.com/breeders/sco.html

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but would deteriorate the cat." Mark Twain

• 3 weeks later...
BUMP

Today marks three months that Charlie has been gone. He would have been in my life two years

as of March 1, 2015.

I'm having a bad day today, and the ice-dam leak in the kitchen isn't making me any better.

Hey Gallahad, so sorry for your sadness today. Sending you positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Sorry for your missing cat. Still hope for a return. Just had a story her in NYC in which a dog which was at Westminister Dog Show who escaped from his cage at Kenndey, was found after more than six months missing. Meanwhile, there are cats searching for homes that would love to find yours. I just added a fourth dog two days ago. Crazy dog that was on death row in Florida last week and is now eating my furniture in the northeast. She is making the other dogs look for vacation possibilities in Florida.

Archived