The New Hedwig

This topic is 3400 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

First, John Cameron Mitchell, then Neil Patrick Harris...and now, an actor with only two names will play Hedwig starting on August 20th:

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef01a3fd34bceb970b-500wi

Andrew played Elder Price in Book of Mormon and won a Tony and a Grammy.

• 3 weeks later...

Now having seen the production with NPH I can't imagine anyone bringing more to the role. He looked exhausted for the curtain call but never once flagged during his performance. I think we few who have seen NPH in the role have seen the definitive performance. He deserves to rest on his laurels for a bit.

Foxy, Foxy, Foxy...you are my theater hero...but, I once harbored similar thoughts. Now way could NPH be as good as JCM. No Way! Then...way. Or close enough. JCM of course is John Cameron Mitchell, who first played Hedwig at the sleazy Jane St. theater. No one even knew there was a theater there! JCM was just so spectacular, and Hedwig such a novelty that people swore no one else could play the role, and they seemed to be supported when the movie version also starred...John Cameron Mitchell!

I remember shouting Hedwig to the rooftops, flying friends in to New York to see this marvelous performance. And if you feel now the same way I did then, well, good for you, because it's a damn good feeling.

But, I am going to give Andrew Rannels a chance...who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am looking forward to seeing Andrew Rannells as Hedwig. I was also obsessed with Hedwig when it was down at Jane Street. I went to school with JCM, so went initially to support him, and just love the show. Saw five of the six performers do it there...including Ally Sheedy who closed the role. NPH was my sixth Hedwig, and while I loved him in it, it took some adjustment to accept the show in the big, fancy, Broadway house. Would have loved to have gone back to see it again, but too pricey. I wonder if tickets for Rannells will also be hen's teeth.

Saw Hedwig at NPH's last Sunday matinee. The guy in the coat check closet told me that the new Hedwig has a voice which matches the female star, ie excellent (and probably a bit better than Harris' voice) - though I am definitely not complaining about Harris' performance. There was one thing which surprised me ...Never having seen the play before, just the film a long time ago, I sort of thought she would be a little more sympathetic character. Harris seemed kind of bitchy which I didn't expect exactly - for example, some people came in rudely late at orchestra front center and Harris was openly hostile toward them. I mean I didn't mind this, and it wasn't over the top, but I couldnt figure out if that was Harris being a Diva or Hedwig as her normal self! In any case, the show was all great theater and I am really p[leased we got to see it. I'd love to hear you guys' opinion of the new Hedwig.

We saw several other performances. Book of Mormons - it was about what I expected except, can I be gay here?... I thought the guys would be a lot cuter.

We also saw the Eminem/Rihanna concert at Met-Life. I started liking Eminem when he made his movie, and more when he did his duet with Elton John. I did not know much about Rihanna, and I know less after seeing her...from what I heard - mostly from young women friends, she was going to make that concert. However it was just the opposite - Eminem carried the show and was the clear star. He knows just how to capture the crowd. Except for a very few songs, Rihanna kind of faded into the background - to me. We loved Met-Life - never seen a stadium so clean and with such nice employees.

I was confused what to do on our final night in the city. I wanted to go to my favorite theater but it was dark - Beaumont at Lincoln Center. Then I thought maybe Michele Williams in Cabaret but would have cost over $600 for two tickets. I suddenly remembered my college room mate who fell in love a couple decades ago at the then longest running play in New York...the Fantasticks. The date did not return the favor and I always kidded him about that play... but about our last night in the city... Could that play still be running? It was and we went to the tiny Snapple Theater where we were greeted by - a very friendly staff, and the theater while small, was clean and attractive. We loved the play. The male star, Max Crumm, was the male winner of the "Grease" TV reality show, where the winners received the star roles in the new Grease production a couple years back. He is cute in a funny looking way and was a pleasure to watch and hear. The thing which amazed me is that one cast member is still there - the paunchy indian - from the 1959 original cast!

Ha - there is my very lame review of the entertainment part of our trip! You guys are lucky to get to see such great theater often.

On Saturday, tickets for Hedwig were available for a 40% discount @ TKTS. That's the 1st time I noticed it up.

That certainly doesn't bode well for the new "star" of the show.

Personally, I think they should have acknowledged the fact that a major star has left the production and preemptively cut ticket prices accordingly.

Now, it just looks like a fire sale and it will have a negative impact on the show and it's new "star".

Now having seen the production with NPH I can't imagine anyone bringing more to the role. He looked exhausted for the curtain call but never once flagged during his performance. I think we few who have seen NPH in the role have seen the definitive performance. He deserves to rest on his laurels for a bit.

Funny thing is ... some people said the same thing (nobody else can do it) when Rannells left "Book of Mormon". :p

And just a correction: Rannells was nominated for a Tony for "Mormon" but did not win.

Alas, today's NYTimes reports following the departure of NPH, there has been a big drop at the box office...

Ticket sales came back to earth last week for the Broadway musical “Hedwig and the Angry Inch,” which had been breaking box office records at the Belasco Theater this summer thanks to the drawing power of Neil Patrick Harris, who won a Tony Award in the title role.

Mr. Harris’s run in the show ended Aug. 17 and Andrew Rannells, an original star of “The Book of Mormon” who is also known from the HBO series “Girls,” has taken over as Hedwig.

For Mr. Rannells’ first week, the musical grossed $648,738 – a healthy amount, though far less than the $1,139,903 for the previous week with Mr. Harris. Mr. Rannells is scheduled to star through Oct. 12.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/25/sales-droop-for-hedwig-after-harris-departs/?_php=true&_type=blogs&hpw&rref=theater&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpHedThumbWell&module=well-region&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

One can only wonder what NPH will do next after what must have been an exhausting run. It's great that he's been an out gay star for many years but I think it's safe to say that he has managed to not allow himself be pigeonholed in any way. I truly think he has star quality without any of the usual insanity that seems to go along with that. He seems to be a happily married father and I want to believe that's his main priority in just being a decent human being and he has a job in the theater. My hope is that he will be around for a long time and continue to delight and surprise us with his talent. I think he's a star and a good guy in the best possible way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived