Pa lifts ban on gay marriage!!!!!!!!!

mmk123
This topic is 3647 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I am sure that Santorum will try to get 15 more minutes of fame.

However, Gov Corbett - who is against gay marriage - has not commented on the ruling yet. Apparently he will be commenting tomorrow on whether he will fight the ruling or just let it be. He is up for re-election this year and is not well liked or very popular in polls.

I think before so terribly much longer, only the Red States will have the bans, and I think the wave will even overtake them, perhaps sooner than later.

There's just no long-term way to fight it off with more than half the country having it legal.

I think before so terribly much longer, only the Red States will have the bans, and I think the wave will even overtake them, perhaps sooner than later.

There's just no long-term way to fight it off with more than half the country having it legal.

There are only three states left with uncontested bans, and in EVERY state where a judge has ruled they've ruled in favor of striking down the bans.

This thing spread faster than I could have ever imagined.

And the judge in PA was personally recommended for appointment by that great social liberal, Rick Santorum. But it is worth noting that his explanation for his ruling went much farther than the SCOTUS opinion on DOMA, and there is no guarantee that Justice Kennedy, the swing vote on SCOTUS, would be willing to endorse that reasoning on an appeal.

With things changing so fast, I'm not sure how current this map is.

http://www.engaygedweddings.com/images/gay-community-organizations/us-states-color-coded-gay-marriage-laws.png

http://www.engaygedweddings.com/images/gay-community-organizations/map-color-code-key.gif

well Corbett decided not to fight the appeal. He said most likely that it would not get overturned and decided to leave everything as is. And while announcing that he had to go into the whole thing about he is against gay marriage and all this religious stuff and blah blah blah. He is trying anything to get reelected this fall and I seriously doubt it will happen.

Now that I can get married, I need to get a date first. Hey Steven, want to move to Pittsburgh so we can get married (figured it is worth a shot).

(I)t is worth noting that his explanation for his ruling went much farther than the SCOTUS opinion on DOMA, and there is no guarantee that Justice Kennedy, the swing vote on SCOTUS, would be willing to endorse that reasoning on an appeal.

He wouldn't need to. Kennedy could arrive at the same conclusion using whichever reasoning he prefers, likely that which would be targeted specifically to him throughout the appeal process.

Kevin Slater

well Corbett decided not to fight the appeal. He said most likely that it would not get overturned and decided to leave everything as is.

At another time in history, he'd be able to sell this approach as the legitimately conservative thing. Other conservative governors are pissing away taxpayer money funding appeals they know will fail and that is what today's "conservatives" expect of their elected officials.

It's a pretty big deal as Central Pennsylvania is a pretty conservative area. Not very progressive in their thinking. I'm glad it happened. Can't stand intolerance.

I agree completely. Yet in presidential years, Pennsylvania is no longer in play to the degree it once was. The last time the state's electoral college votes were won by a Republican was George H.W. Bush in 1988.

I can't believe Santorum hasn't yet made any dire pronouncements about America's moral decay with the ruling and Gov Corbett's refusal to contest it.

I also can't believe how fast things are moving. I know that one and half to two years ago a Dallas (male) couple were arrested ( it was planned) for not leaving the clerk's office after being denied a marriage certificate. At the time I figured Texas would legalize same sex marriage, or as we like to call it 'marriage', at some point, but I thought I'd be much older before it came to pass.

We have interesting days ahead of us still on the marriage front. For example in none of the states where marriage is so far legal (except maybe California-but I can't remember for sure) and none of the states where a judge's order is stayed has a Federal Court Of Appeals ruled in favor of our marriages. The Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals which will be hearing Texas' case and Louisiana's, if they ever have one, is extremely conservative. I could see them ruling against our marriage rights even if every other Court Of Appeals ruled in favor. On top of that the Justice for the Fifth Circuit is Antonin Scalia although I don't know whether that position gives him that much power.

But other Circuit Courts of Appeals may be almost as conservative as the 5th. So then we have it going to SCOTUS for a definitive pronouncement regarding the legality of our marriages. Logically you would think that they would feel the tide of history moving in our direction. But with Justices like Scalia on the Court, I doubt things are going to be that easy. To keep peace is it possible/probable that SCOTUS when the question is finally put before them will decide that it's a state's rights question and will maintain the current status of some states allowing and some states continuing to forbid us our rights?

And then there is the question regarding whether there will be a uniform policy for all the states on whether public/non-religious entities will be able to legally refuse services to gay couples.

I hope all of these issues are decided in our favor soon. But the legal wrangling until then will be interesting to see.

Gman

Archived