Looking for computer help

Cooper
This topic is 3686 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My Mozilla Firefox has done an update. I use a laptop, Windows 7 and no longer see the drop down which allowed me to copy/paste and print. I see a a page called "Add Ons". Is that what I have to click on to re-install my options?

Appreciate hearing from someone in the know.

Coop

My Mozilla Firefox has done an update. I use a laptop, Windows 7 and no longer see the drop down which allowed me to copy/paste and print. I see a a page called "Add Ons". Is that what I have to click on to re-install my options?

Coop

Until you find your drop-downs…

CTRL +

W - close

T - new tab

O - open

P - print

A - select all

S - save

F - find

G - find next

X - cut

C - copy

V - paste

On Firefox on my Mac, there's an icon in the upper right corner that looks like three little bars. If I click that, I get a host of settings options, as well as copy, cut, paste & print icons. If I right-click on these, I get the option of "move to toolbar".

I also have a menu entitled "edit" at the very top of my screen, midway, which contains the functions you're looking for.

I hope one of these works for you.

Add-ons are something entirely different.

Kevin Slater

Thanks Kevin for that information. I used to be able to click on the Firefox symbol and the drop down menu had all the copy/paste etc info. Now, I have those "three little bars" you mentioned... I'm good to go.

Thanks again,

Coop

Coop

I got the new Mozilla Firefox update as well and now my computer is going haywire. It got slow and everything is not quite working right. I'm thinking I should either uninstall it or it may be time for a new computer ... I've heard that the new Firefox update is giving people fits.

Oh, well, I've had this for almost 4 years without a problem. I guess it's a way of telling me it's time for a new one.

Call me a grouch, but it seems to me that updates to lots of packages move the menus/features around without really considering whether it's an improvement or not. Every once in a while it's an improvement, but most of the time it just strikes me as the work of bored programmers.

Call me a grouch, but it seems to me that updates to lots of packages move the menus/features around without really considering whether it's an improvement or not. Every once in a while it's an improvement, but most of the time it just strikes me as the work of bored programmers.

OK, you're a grouch. :p

Actually, nobody likes change. But remember that the interface you *liked* was itself a change from what came before it. You got used to it.

What I hate about current trends in interface design is hiding functionality. One of the golden rules of designing software is that features should be discoverable, not hidden. Too many of today's designers have forgotten that.

Even Apple, long lauded for U/I clarity, is not immune to this trend. IPhone apps for news feeds used to have a "refresh" button. Few do any more. You have to know to grab the title bar and drag it towards the bottom of the screen to find the refresh option. It's hidden, and I probably deleted a half-dozen apps (which I have not reinstalled) before I discovered the feature.

Current versions of Internet Explorer ship with all menus turned off. If you can figure out how to get to settings (click the button that looks like a gear) you can turn them back on. It's similar in other Windows apps.

A pox on hidden interface features!

I think one of the biggest offenders is Adobe, and the *.pdf format updates.

I had to " upgrade" my Blu-ray player to play Hunger Games:Catching Fire. This, despite the fact that Pioneer discontinued the model in 2010 (BDP320). Upgrade needed due to changes in security on the discs. Kudos to Pioneer for supporting products that they no longer make! Microsoft could earn a lesson there.

And a random Comment: When Microsoft gets around to Windows 9 or Windows 10, they should scrap the C++ programming and switch to writing it in machine language.

I got the new Mozilla Firefox update as well and now my computer is going haywire. It got slow and everything is not quite working right. I'm thinking I should either uninstall it or it may be time for a new computer ... I've heard that the new Firefox update is giving people fits.

Oh, well, I've had this for almost 4 years without a problem. I guess it's a way of telling me it's time for a new one.

I had the same problems this morning. Shut the computer down and went to the grocery store. Turned on PC an hour later and all was working at normal speed.

Cooper, were you talking about the menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc. drop down boxes)? In Firefox, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, etc, if you ever find yourself lost, you can always press the Alt key to regain access to the menu bar (some programs this may only be temporary so you`ll need to change the settings in the program you`re using so it works next time you use the program.

Now in Firefox, once you bring it up, click on View and Toolbars, then make sure Menu Bar is ticked to permanently restore the Menu Bar.

You might want to update Adobe Flash. The same thing happened with my mac and upon upgrading Flash the problem went away.

I had the same problems this morning. Shut the computer down and went to the grocery store. Turned on PC an hour later and all was working at normal speed.

It's odd. The same thing happened to me. Then it started again. Went away, came back, and it was fine again. The process has repeated itself 4 times now. I'm sure it's NOT a good sign. I hate updates. Period. It's working just fine for me ... why update it???

I think the UI change to Firefox was inspired by the Chrome browser.

I prefer using Firefox, but (thought I) had to use two browsers to simultaneously visit a test and production version of a

service I help manage with a web front end.

Firefox now has an add-on called "Multifox" that add the schizophernia (multi-identity) feature the Chrome has, so

I will likely be using chrome less often in the future.

Cooper, were you talking about the menu bar (File, Edit, View, etc. drop down boxes)? In Firefox, Acrobat, Windows Explorer, etc, if you ever find yourself lost, you can always press the Alt key to regain access to the menu bar

Mildly-off-topic: Along these lines (and those of Chris E.) I very much recommend easing over to using keyboard commands instead of clicking.

Saves on worry like this, and will save hand/forearm strain in the long run.

Archived