Need advice for Around the World airline tickets....

bigvalboy
This topic is 2390 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...

I don't know how I missed this thread--oh, wait! It's more than four years old. Where was I in Sept. 2013? Marrakech? Honolulu? Helsinki? Oh, I was right here in Palm Springs, probably daydreaming about someplace else.

I only took one real trip around the world (not the other kind--too numerous to mention). In 1990, three of us bought business class tickets on the now defunct Northwest Airlines and whatever its international alliance was called. We flew west from PHL--I am one of those who have less trouble with jet lag when going west--stopping in Japan, Russia, Poland, and the UK. The most memorable leg was flying from Tokyo to Moscow on a clear summer day, flying for 8 hours over green Siberian forests with big rivers flowing north and an occasional tiny settlement. We spent at least a week at each stop, so we didn't have an "If this is Tuesday, it must be Belgium" feeling. The most important lessons I learned were: 1) go with someone else, preferably someone you have traveled with before, but do some things on your own during the trip; 2) don't go for too long (0ne of my companions had done the around the world ticket once before, and after twelve weeks in Japan, China, Thailand and Nepal, realized he couldn't take anymore, and flew the rest of the way home without stopping); 3) take a minimum of luggage, even if it means throwing things away en route and buying new things in airports or markets when you need them. Of course, the world has changed a lot since 1990, when we had no portable electronic devices to carry with us, so I can't give advice on how to handle them.

I assume the trip is now long past, and I hope you had a great time.

2) don't go for too long (0ne of my companions had done the around the world ticket once before, and after twelve weeks in Japan, China, Thailand and Nepal, realized he couldn't take anymore, and flew the rest of the way home without stopping);

Agree. I lasted a little longer than twelve weeks, but barely.

Archived