Need advice for Around the World airline tickets....

bigvalboy
This topic is 2390 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For all members who are airline aficionados, I need some advice. I am considering purchasing a 'Around The World ticket' with One World (American Airlines)..

How much should I expect to pay for a First Class/ 5 continent ticket? I have been quoted from $17,000 to $21,000 dollars. Is this too much or is it about normal. I know that deals occur occasionally, but I do not want to wait and hope that a deal might come along. Thanks in advance for any info.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For First Class I think (yup, just my opinion) that price range is good and if you can get it for $17,000, the low end, that's great. I know some airlines and websites commit that if the price goes down before you depart they will give you the difference so maybe you can buy and periodically check to see if the price has gone down. With United their only requirement is that you have to buy from them and its only if they show a lower price for the same ticket that you can get a refund on the difference (a lower price on another website doesn't matter).

BVB, if you go around the world and haven't made firm decisions about destinations, I'd suggest making a stop in New Zealand (Queenstown) if you can. Just, watch out because you can fall in love with that place.

Make sure your ticket offers enough flexibility. I had to change my dates twice on my recent round-the-world trip earlier this year. Then again, my ticket was not in First :-)

Guest countryboywny
For all members who are airline aficionados, I need some advice. I am considering purchasing a 'Around The World ticket' with One World (American Airlines)..

How much should I expect to pay for a First Class/ 5 continent ticket? I have been quoted from $17,000 to $21,000 dollars. Is this too much or is it about normal. I know that deals occur occasionally, but I do not want to wait and hope that a deal might come along. Thanks in advance for any info.

What a great idea, BVB.. I'm sooooooo jealous! :)

Your pricing sounds pretty good. In case you haven't already check.... American has an RTW desk that can help. Flyer Talk, has a section devoted to One World that is great help. Also American has a ticket office in Oakland Park that can be helpful. The greatest thing about doing this kind of trip after retirement, the lack of pressure to hurry home.

I retired last year and did my first RTW. I took a month. One of the best parts of the trip was sitting by the pool in Bangkok with just a couple of days to go, and trying to decide if I should extend another month or head home. Sure beats thinking about getting back to work on Monday.

Thanks to Uni and FF for the advice and posted links where additional information can be found. All very helpful. I long as I know that price wise I am in the ball park, then I feel better.

Thanks Steven for the advice on New Zealand. I had not initially considered it, but so many people have the same reaction to New Zealand as you do, that it is something that will be considered now.

LouieD...interesting flying westward. I had planned of going eastward, but I will consider the advice.

Trav1...lol...I can't tell you how many times I have extended a vacation in Thailand. It is a captivating and beautiful country, very hospitable, AND.....well there are the boys. ;)

Just remember that you can go around the world, but there's no guarantee that you will find your baby. It certainly didn't work for Lisa Stansfield.

[video=youtube;JVuuatjHGnY]

Thanks to Uni and FF for the advice and posted links where additional information can be found. All very helpful. I long as I know that price wise I am in the ball park, then I feel better.

Thanks Steven for the advice on New Zealand. I had not initially considered it, but so many people have the same reaction to New Zealand as you do, that it is something that will be considered now.

LouieD...interesting flying westward. I had planned of going eastward, but I will consider the advice.

Trav1...lol...I can't tell you how many times I have extended a vacation in Thailand. It is a captivating and beautiful country, very hospitable, AND.....well there are the boys. ;)

My understaanding is the our US Military flies its officers westward, so they are more functional. My own experience: RT BOS to LAX, and RT LAX to SYD: We were raring to go upon hitting Sydney, but it took thrree days to get back to normal on the return. Of course, the return flights were 14.5 hours to LAX and 6 hrs to BOS, plus NINE time zones, and the equator.

Hi BVB... I have done four round the world trips, and always have flown east. I have a much easier time than when I have flown west. And I have done that frequently too, to Hong Kong, Bankok, and several trips to Japan. For the Round the World trips I have used United and their Star Alliance, as I have found it cheaper, with better affiliated airlines, such as Lufthansa especially. I have done it purchasing FC, but usually buy Business and use miles to upgrade to FC. The key in planning is getting the right agent to work with you. Basically you can be gone an entire year, with unlimited stops, as long as you are traveling in the same direction. However, with the right agent, you can also do some "side trip" that are not entirely the same direction. For example on one trip, I flew Chicago to Frankfort, but was able to include a side trip for a couple of days to Berlin and then back to Frankfort before going on to Budapest, then to Dubai and Abu Duabi, then on to Singapore, then to Sydney and then home. I almost went to New Zealand on that trip, but ran out of time. I agree with the other posters that New Zealand, especially Rotarua (sic) and Queenstown are spectacular. Send me a PM if you would like further information. One trip I have in my future plans includes South Africa, then on to the Maldives, then to India, on into China, Hong Kong, Japan and home.

When I full retire, I have plans to do one of these trips and take an entire year to do it... saving points on Hyatt, Marriott and Starwood to reduce expenses. I am soon a 2M mile flyer on UA alone, which also helps when making these kinds of trips. If you have elite status on AA that will help if you go on the One-World group.

Good luck and hope you can make it work. As I said, send me a PM if you would like more.

DD

Hi BVB... I have done four round the world trips, and always have flown east. I have a much easier time than when I have flown west. And I have done that frequently too, to Hong Kong, Bankok, and several trips to Japan. For the Round the World trips I have used United and their Star Alliance, as I have found it cheaper, with better affiliated airlines, such as Lufthansa especially. I have done it purchasing FC, but usually buy Business and use miles to upgrade to FC. The key in planning is getting the right agent to work with you. Basically you can be gone an entire year, with unlimited stops, as long as you are traveling in the same direction. However, with the right agent, you can also do some "side trip" that are not entirely the same direction. For example on one trip, I flew Chicago to Frankfort, but was able to include a side trip for a couple of days to Berlin and then back to Frankfort before going on to Budapest, then to Dubai and Abu Duabi, then on to Singapore, then to Sydney and then home. I almost went to New Zealand on that trip, but ran out of time. I agree with the other posters that New Zealand, especially Rotarua (sic) and Queenstown are spectacular. Send me a PM if you would like further information. One trip I have in my future plans includes South Africa, then on to the Maldives, then to India, on into China, Hong Kong, Japan and home.

When I full retire, I have plans to do one of these trips and take an entire year to do it... saving points on Hyatt, Marriott and Starwood to reduce expenses. I am soon a 2M mile flyer on UA alone, which also helps when making these kinds of trips. If you have elite status on AA that will help if you go on the One-World group.

Good luck and hope you can make it work. As I said, send me a PM if you would like more.

DD

Many many thanks DD for all the information. I have read this with great interest. A couple of places I had not considered, so it was all very helpful, and the points on Marriott and Hyatt are well worth it. I wish you all the success when you do finally take that much deserved "full" retirement...;) I know you keep postponing it. I wish you all the best. BVB

Just remember that you can go around the world, but there's no guarantee that you will find your baby. It certainly didn't work for Lisa Stansfield.

[video=youtube;JVuuatjHGnY]

"Thanks for the memories"....wonderful wonderful video Chris, and yes I know that "My Boo" could very well be right here in my own backyard. ;).....

Travel round the world and lose yourself in order to find yourself, your true self.

But I have been around the world and I still don't know who my "true self" is...maybe I will never find who I really am, and that scares me.

Here's one inspirational video. Enjoy!

[video=vimeo;37390596]

Thanks for the video...it was inspiring.

Hi there,

For a three class cabin, that price sounds right. I'd suggest you also check out a site called flyertalk.com. It's frequented by heavy travelers; there's a wealth of information from members. You will find people that know how to find a deal.

Thanks for the information PasadenaCA, whoever you really are....;) BTW, great town Pasadena.

There seem to be a lot of websites out there with info like:

OneWorld has a tool on their website where you plug everything in and it should spit out an itinerary and fare I would guess

http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares

It looks like OW's RTW fares are based on class of service and number of regions/continents visited.

Chris Guillebeau has visited every country in the world. His blog has a post about buying RTW tickets

http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/round-the-world-plane-ticket/

Bootsnall is an Australian site that specializes in RTW trips. http://www.bootsnall.com/ But they typically skew more towards the budget/backpacker end of the spectrum.

You might also think about a consolidator. I have used AccessFares.com for some other things in the past and have been happy with their service http://www.accessfares.com/

Hmmm ... looks very romantic![/color] :o

http://www.exoticsandluxury.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/singapore-airlines-suite.jpg

I read it before where they warned passengers against hanky pinky. Not allowed. But that photo is so contradictory. By the way, there's no roof so people can hear you. ;)

Archived