It's 4 AM, you're sleeping, your best friend calls for help ...

Steven_Draker
This topic is 3943 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There's a serious believability issue here from the perspective of the friend being called. If I got a call like this, I'd probably think the caller was drunk and playing a prank.

(1) These card players aren't going to be willing to hold the victim hostage for a few hours to get their money? Most of the time, they'd probably just take everything the guy had and let him go. They want money, not a murder charge.

(2) So the friend couldn't bring in an undercover police officer or at least a gun? Note that the victim didn't tell him he'd be patted down, so he'd better not bring a gun.

That said, I understand the point. My best friend would definitely show up. The guy I'm dating would probably be awake, so I could see him showing up too. :)

And all they get for showing up for this prank is a Carlsberg!? This is definitely a straight guy thing.

(2) So the friend couldn't bring in an undercover police officer or at least a gun? Note that the victim didn't tell him he'd be patted down, so he'd better not bring a gun.

This is Europe. Usually, we don't carry or own guns. :cool:

The idea behind this reality-prank was to test whether your friend would arise from bed and come to your rescue (the friend was asked to bring only 300 Euros not 30 000)

Note some people didn't make it to the 3rd floor ...

http://cdn.creativeguerrillamarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Carlsberg-Test-1-640x350.jpg

http://cdn.creativeguerrillamarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Carlsberg-Test-3-640x348.jpg

If I've got a call like this, I'd have done exactly like him (turning down the grasshoppers, that is)

I got a call from a friend at 4 AM frantic because her nephew had been arrested and she did not know what to do. I drove over picked her up and drove her down to the county jail. I had brought with me a waffle box full of cash that I had in my freezer, the reason for which is a very long story. When we got to the jail, we were informed that his bail was $25000. I walked her out to my car and to her amazement, we counted out the money from the waffle box and then bailed him out. It took a year but I eventually got the money back but I never did get a Carlsberg and barely got a thank you from the nephew. While the cops were counting out the money before his release, they found 2 counterfeit 100 dollar bills. I had visions of my being arrested until they finished and just asked for two hundred dollars more and returned the "counterfeit bills". She has told this story in my presence quite a bit over the years and most people are baffled by most of it. Sometimes the universe conspires to have you have $100000 in a waffle box in the freezer when you money to bail of friend's nephew out of jail. By the way, I thought I was getting the money back the next day when her husband returned from a golf trip but that did not happen.

All this for one lousy Carlsberg (ok, I'm not really a beer drinker)?! For this kind of inconvenience and thoughtlessness, I'd expect a big bottle of Hendricks gin . Then too, the whole scenario seems like the kind of stupidity that one might have encountered in my college days - and those were wild times. Even then, no one ever pulled a stunt like this on me (thank god).

PK, what did you learn from this experience? It sounds like your friend's mother should have let her son spend a night in jail.

I got a call from a friend at 4 AM frantic because her nephew had been arrested and she did not know what to do. I drove over picked her up and drove her down to the county jail. I had brought with me a waffle box full of cash that I had in my freezer, the reason for which is a very long story. When we got to the jail, we were informed that his bail was $25000. I walked her out to my car and to her amazement, we counted out the money from the waffle box and then bailed him out. It took a year but I eventually got the money back but I never did get a Carlsberg and barely got a thank you from the nephew. While the cops were counting out the money before his release, they found 2 counterfeit 100 dollar bills. I had visions of my being arrested until they finished and just asked for two hundred dollars more and returned the "counterfeit bills". She has told this story in my presence quite a bit over the years and most people are baffled by most of it. Sometimes the universe conspires to have you have $100000 in a waffle box in the freezer when you money to bail of friend's nephew out of jail. By the way, I thought I was getting the money back the next day when her husband returned from a golf trip but that did not happen.

PK, you're a very generous guy and this woman and her nephew are extremely lucky to have you as a friend. I'm glad you were eventually paid back.

$25K is a whole lot of bail, so I'm guessing this was something a lot bigger than petit larceny or similar teenage hijinks (for which I'd have more sympathy). You worked hard for that money, and if circumstances were different, you might not have been paid back. If it happens again, I'd let him spend the night in jail or take out a bail bond like others in his situation do.

PK, you're a very generous guy and this woman and her nephew are extremely lucky to have you as a friend. I'm glad you were eventually paid back.

$25K is a whole lot of bail, so I'm guessing this was something a lot bigger than petit larceny or similar teenage hijinks (for which I'd have more sympathy). You worked hard for that money, and if circumstances were different, you might not have been paid back. If it happens again, I'd let him spend the night in jail or take out a bail bond like others in his situation do.

I guess when you hire a bail bondsman, he charges you 10% or so and then keeps it when the bail is done. This incident was a bar fight but as there was what appeared to be a serious injury involved, (turns out it was relatively minor) the initial charges were more serious. I was told it was bail for a bar fight. He would have been in jail over the weekend and my friend was very upset as she had never been through this type of thing in the past. Her husband being out of town added to the anxiety. Anyway, a few years have passed and the nephew has been on the proper path and I got my money back so for this time, it worked out. Nowadays I do not have 100,000 in cash in the freezer, so this would not be an option.

Archived