James Gandolfini dead at 51

seeker630
This topic is 3970 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A very suspicious age in which to die. I wonder if they'll do any toxicology tests. I'm curious as to whether he might have been dabbling in cocaine or amphetamines.

A very suspicious age in which to die. I wonder if they'll do any toxicology tests. I'm curious as to whether he might have been dabbling in cocaine or amphetamines.

He's been in rehab for it. He might've just fallen off the wagon. Those kind of addictions are hard to beat.

I never watched "The Sopranos," but I had heard of him and knew his reputation as being an excellent actor. I was surprised to read he was only 51. I figured him to be at least a dozen years older than that.

Same here. I never watched the show, but from pics I've seen of him I assumed him to be ten years older. I don't mean any disrespect to him, but from the amount of press this is getting in LA, you'd think the pope died or something. He was famous for one role. period.

Actually, he did a lot of movie work, and according to a piece on the NY Times website, there are two completed movies still to be released with him in them, and various other projects were getting under way which will now be redesigned or shelved. His acting life since The Sopranos has been very busy.

I wasn't surprised that he was only 51. I hadn't heard anything about the drug issues, but he was overweight enough to be at risk for this sort of thing. (The informed speculation seems to be heart attack.)

The LA press is undoubtedly because the man was very well liked in the business. Seems he was a good colleague, and that isn't so common as you might think.

Same here. I never watched the show, but from pics I've seen of him I assumed him to be ten years older. I don't mean any disrespect to him, but from the amount of press this is getting in LA, you'd think the pope died or something. He was famous for one role. period.

I think it's getting a lot of play because he was the well-regarded lead in a show that had such critical and popular appeal. Numerous people I know who tend to be discriminating viewers say it's one of the best shows they ever watched. Watching low-class mobsters from New Jersey get glorified on the tube held no appeal for me, but knowing the quality of other HBO shows, I bet it was well-done. "The Sopranos" is considered ground-breaking stuff.

I never heard anything but raves about his acting, so I suspect he was highly thought of in the industry.

James Gandolfini Death: Chris Christie Orders N.J. Flags Lowered

Flags will fly at half-staff on state buildings on Monday in honor of deceased native son

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/james-gandolfini-death-chris-christie-orders-nj-flags-lowered-99031

I'm sorry. I can understand dimming the lights on Broadway for a Jean Stapleton, but this is a bit much. This celebrity obsessed society that has been crafted by the media has gotten out of hand. Celebrity deaths get bigger and bigger. He was a good actor who got lucky and landed a great part. He won awards for it. Isn't that enough?

James Gandolfini Death: Chris Christie Orders N.J. Flags Lowered

Flags will fly at half-staff on state buildings on Monday in honor of deceased native son

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/james-gandolfini-death-chris-christie-orders-nj-flags-lowered-99031

I'm sorry. I can understand dimming the lights on Broadway for a Jean Stapleton, but this is a bit much. This celebrity obsessed society that has been crafted by the media has gotten out of hand. Celebrity deaths get bigger and bigger. He was a good actor who got lucky and landed a great part. He won awards for it. Isn't that enough?

They did a tribute to him on HBO which I thought was great. It had his first and last episode of the sopranos plus some of his war story clips. As much as I liked him as Tony Soprano I totally agree. Tribute him where tribute is due.

I think it says more about Christie though. I'll bet he sees allot of himself in Gandolfini or maybe Tony Soprano.

I think it says more about Christie though. I'll bet he sees allot of himself in Gandolfini or maybe Tony Soprano.

Hmmm. Governor Christie had best see himself in Gandolfini--he's in even worse physical shape. Maybe it'll be a wake-up call? At least unlike Gandolfini, Christie probably never did drugs.

Archived