Guilty pleasures in airport dining

Chris Eisenhower
This topic is 4031 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miami airport. If near the D20'ish gates, Clubhouse One's black bean soup and/or garlic shrimp. If closer to the D15 and lower gates, the Don Shula's burger with a glass (or three) of a big fat Cabernet.

Gotta love Don Shula's. Lots of people talk about La Carreta at MIA as well.

I vote for the National Coney Island at DTW.

bar opens at 8am....at the SLC airport.....very guilty pleasure, indeed....

http://www.slcairport.com/squatters.asp

HA! My flight was just canceled because of weather so it looks like I'll get another Biscuit Of Solace in the morning.

Sitting in the hotel hot tub right now... my God I almost just took off my swimsuit without even thinking. I've been naked too much these past couple of days.

:)

Guest MajorTomp

Houston IAH Terminal E Pappasito's steak tacos in homemade flour tortillas with a side of chile con queso plus a margarita! Damn.

Houston IAH Terminal E Pappasito's steak tacos in homemade flour tortillas with a side of chile con queso plus a margarita! Damn.

The Pappas Family has great restaurants. At Hobby there is or used to be a Pappas' Grill which made delicious hamburgers.

Gman

The "Out bound" leg @ San Francisco International Airport..."Lark Creek Grill"...Crispy Fried Monterey Calamari with a couple of Bombay Sapphire tonics.

Totally agree this is one nice place especially when you consider it is in an airport!

My vote is the cheesy bacon biscuit at Milwaukee Airport. I get one coming in and one going out. C concourse, Alterra coffeehouse.

Chris. You should send this as a suggested topic to the Food Network. I find it new and very unique and I bet they would too.

Boston Bill

I am amazed at the sense of calorie denial that I (and apparently several others here) can talk myself into when at the airport. We all know that any food you eat in any airport is actually a part of the travel experience which is geographic and not gastronomic; hence there are no calories involved - whatever you choose to eat. It's the equivalent of tasting food while you're cooking - it doesn't count. Neither does eating broken cookies - it's been scientifically proven that there is calorie leakage with broken cookies. As such, you may have as many as you can stuff in your mouth - go ahead, make your day - eat with impunity.

I have found that there is a pretty good Asian restaurant in the Philly airport and they have really yummy sushi there. But wait - that's almost healthy. Then too there is some burger/chicken/chili place near the end of one of the terminals - that is definitely not healthy - but as I said above, you get a free pass on calories there. As such there is no guilty pleasure per se, just the bliss of stuffing your face with a delicious burger (with blue cheese, bacon, mayonnaise, tomatoes, raw onions, lettuce). Maybe I'll pour some brandy into my morning coffee and drink to that, since I missed the communal orgy last evening of Bombay sapphire tonics. I was with you in spirit however.

Are non-comestibles allowed in this thread? I used to love the used bookstore in Milwaukee's Mitchell Airport. Although if remembering correctly, the older guy who ran it was a bit of a grouch.

I haven't been back to Milwaukee airport in years though.

Gman

I am amazed at the sense of calorie denial that I (and apparently several others here) can talk myself into when at the airport. We all know that any food you eat in any airport is actually a part of the travel experience which is geographic and not gastronomic; hence there are no calories involved - whatever you choose to eat. It's the equivalent of tasting food while you're cooking - it doesn't count. Neither does eating broken cookies - it's been scientifically proven that there is calorie leakage with broken cookies. As such, you may have as many as you can stuff in your mouth - go ahead, make your day - eat with impunity.

I have found that there is a pretty good Asian restaurant in the Philly airport and they have really yummy sushi there. But wait - that's almost healthy. Then too there is some burger/chicken/chili place near the end of one of the terminals - that is definitely not healthy - but as I said above, you get a free pass on calories there. As such there is no guilty pleasure per se, just the bliss of stuffing your face with a delicious burger (with blue cheese, bacon, mayonnaise, tomatoes, raw onions, lettuce). Maybe I'll pour some brandy into my morning coffee and drink to that, since I missed the communal orgy last evening of Bombay sapphire tonics. I was with you in spirit however.

Apparently, anything you eat with a Diet Coke doesn't count, either. Nor if you are eating the same thing with someone else. Even the Sapphire tonics wouldn't count with more than one person indulging.

(Personally, though, I prefer Tanqueray 10 for my G&T).

Apparently, anything you eat with a Diet Coke doesn't count, either. Nor if you are eating the same thing with someone else. Even the Sapphire tonics wouldn't count with more than one person indulging. (Personally, though, I prefer Tanqueray 10 for my G&T).

I always rationalize the consumption of Sapphire tonic, by telling myself that I am having it to eleviate the stress of travel, although more often than not I am flying first, but it sounds good, and after the first drink, well hell, no more excuses are needed, I just settle in for a nice relaxing meal....AND...yes Tanqueray 10 and tonic is a very nice drink indeed.

Archived